Increasing horisontal field of view in PoE

Since this was instantly downvoted on reddit, I'll mirror this here, as it is actually useful information which not all know about.

This is mostly for people with 16:9 and 16:10 aspect ratio monitors.

For people who have no idea what is this about, here is a comparison:
1920x1080
1920x800
Notice how on the second screenshot you can see more stuff on the sides of the screen.

PoE has an incredibly zoomed in view compared to most other ARPGs at minimum zoom level, which pretty much everyone complained about, but nothing can be done since a lot of abilities have their range limited by screen space.

However, what is possible, is increasing the horizontal area that you can view.
It has its cost however, as not all screen space will be used after this.

So, basically, what you need to do is to create a custom resolution, which is not available by default, and apply it ingame. The resolution aspect ratio must be higher than the one you currently have.
For example I chose 21:9 as it is pretty much the second most popular standard after 16:9

So, if your default resolution is 1920x1080, its 21:9 aspect ratio counterpart will be roughly 1920x800, that will be the values that we will use.

Now, if you have Nvidia card, you need to perform the following steps:
Nvidia Control Panel -> Display -> Change Resolution -> Customise -> Create Custom Resolution -> and here enter the desired values.
After resolution is tested and saved, it becomes available for selection in games.

You can clearly see that with 1920x800 res you can see a lot more on the sides of the screen, while the area you see vertically is the same.

Of course, the ultimate solution would be just buying a monitor with 21:9 aspect ratio.
So this is pretty much Pay2FixTechincalIssues situation, similar to SSD and loading times.
Increasing Field of View in PoE: /1236921
Last edited by Shajirr on Mar 23, 2016, 3:32:00 AM
Last bumped on Nov 18, 2016, 1:18:53 PM
You got downvoted because people already know this and no one is going to buy a weird ratio monitor just to play poe.
Last edited by Aggnog on Apr 3, 2015, 7:33:42 PM
"
Aggnog wrote:
You got downvoted because people already know this and no one is going to buy a weird ratio monitor just to buy poe.

Pillars of Eternity?
Last edited by Samkiud on Apr 3, 2015, 7:31:16 PM
"
Aggnog wrote:
You got downvoted because people already know this and no one is going to buy a weird ratio monitor just to buy poe.

I agree that just for PoE it is an overkill.
That is why I suggested an alternative solution of using custom resolution.
It is still a good idea for future upgrades since practically all FPS games and most first person games use horizontal scaling and will benefit from this.
Unless they are published by EA/Ubi, who seem to hate PCs and usually just shell out shitty console ports.

I don't think that a lot of people know about this - pretty much all PoE Youtube videos/twitch streams are in 16:9 aspect ratio, despite the fact that increased horizontal view would be extremely useful, for example, in races, or just in general mapping if playing hardcore leagues.
Last edited by Shajirr on Apr 3, 2015, 7:29:57 PM
Thanks im gonna give it a try, and that should lower ressources consumption :)
You ARE my Bitch of burden!
"Stay Alive exile! Or you'll be the next zombie someone raises off the beach." - Altnaharra
" Be Excellent To Each Other" -MikeP_GGG
"If you die to yourself are you still the victor? " - BEX_GGG
cant you flip picture sideways then flip monitor and then you will see more horizontally at expense of sideway view? ☺
LLD BOTW spark/arc caster guide http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1133731
"
Thanks im gonna give it a try, and that should lower ressources consumption :)

I think it will be the opposite. Haven't checked.
Even though the resolution used is lower (vertically), the game has to render more stuff with it.
What is the point? I can play POE just fine, if this is that stupid zoom thing again, we already had threads about this. Playing against the way GGG intended is stupid.
"
Aggnog wrote:
You got downvoted because people already know this and no one is going to buy a weird ratio monitor just to play poe.

LOL. You don't need 21:9 monitor to be able to do this. You misunderstood completely. And actually 21:9 is a very common resolution too. Not some "weird" thing like as you said.

But I got you, since we got a really poor community most people are playing the game on 800x600 res Potato 4000.
Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
"
What is the point? I can play POE just fine, if this is that stupid zoom thing again, we already had threads about this. Playing against the way GGG intended is stupid.

What is the point? The point is that there is an option for the people who doesn't like the current state. You can play POE just fine, but you're only 1 player. You only represent yourself, not every player. So just because you don't like it or you don't need it, it doesn't mean that there shouldn't be other options. And no it's not stupid, GGG is not some all knowing group of people that always do the right thing.

Personally I won't use this, just because of the fact that I don't like playing games in windowed mod, but I might buy a new monitor with 21:9 res, as I was already thinking about getting a new one anyway.
Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info