Recommend Me a Good Anime (Samkiud's "to Watch" List)

"
Fitzy_GGG wrote:
You might enjoy Psycho Pass

What a plot! Was this the series that inspired Person of Interest?

Thanks tsftd for the effort. I'm composing a "to watch list" according to what caught my attention.
Last edited by Samkiud on Apr 4, 2015, 3:32:55 AM
there might be some influence, but the source of both is most likely The Minority Report by the highly influential Philip K. Dick (which also was adapted directly into a movie called Minority Report a few years ago)

additionally, if you like Psycho Pass, I'd recommend:

Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Ghost Hound
Real Drive
Eden of the East

based on plot/theme/staff similarities
IGN Stuns_McNutshot | Ichimans_McIchimans | Balls_McCritterson
Last edited by tsftd on Apr 4, 2015, 3:52:29 AM
Everything is probably already recommended here except for:

Legend of Galactic Heroes

Let me know what you think after you've watched a handful of episodes.
PoE-TradeMacro - https://github.com/PoE-TradeMacro/POE-TradeMacro/
ExileTrade - http://exiletrade.github.io/
Last edited by ManicCompression on Apr 4, 2015, 5:29:10 AM
"
tsftd wrote:

Eden of the East

Oh man, this series was just awesome for me near the end of my high school days. I was able to get around watching the first movie (sequel to the series), but never had a chance to watch the second movie (sequel to the first movie, and puts the finishing touch to the entire series). Also, that English opening song (Oasis was it that sang this song?) is out of this world.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

"
Resonance in Terror has a dream team making it, but for some reason failed to break the surface the way Bebop did.

Glad you like Titan, Samkuid. I went to buy the blurays myself last night (I'm going to some Universal Studios Osaka exhibition of Titan in May, figured I'd better brush up) but they were sold out. The hunt continues today.

I'm really serious about Satoshi Kon though. He was the most visionary director/writer in anime in the past ten or fifteen years.

Completely agree on Satoshi Kon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz49vQwSoTE

Attack on Titan is shit though, except the amazing animation. It just has too much exposition, characters thinking for 5-10 minutes, repeating the same themes, especially the things we were shown visually, making the auditive recap extremely boring and obnoxious.

I've started watching Steins Gate and after four episodes, I'm kinda rethinking whether to continue watching. The plot has a nice hook to it, where you want to see where it leads, but the characters, especially female ones, are very weak, maybe on purpose made to look like a generic anime characters? Framing and cuts could also be a bit better, I've found many scenes where I was just bored watching it. Soundtrack also seems nonexistant, but granted I'm only 4/25 into the series. Will probably give it 3-4 more episodes.

„I don't give a fuck if it was his tenth anniversary with his goddamn neckbeard...“
„If they think I'm going to let them sweep this pizza guy thing under the rug...“
No mod action. Business as usual.
Last edited by Odoakar on Apr 4, 2015, 12:59:42 PM
"
Odoakar wrote:

I've started watching Steins Gate and after four episodes, I'm kinda rethinking whether to continue watching. The plot has a nice hook to it, where you want to see where it leads, but the characters, especially female ones, are very weak, maybe on purpose made to look like a generic anime characters?

I also thought that way after seen 5 episodes but you'll tolerate it tho and ya too many annoying stuff with generic cliches and otaku shit stuff that lowballs hard this interesting anime, anyway literally gets better from the ep12, hope you enjoy it cos the majority of the "new" anime is full of shit most of the time.
Last edited by dimraiden on Apr 4, 2015, 5:03:40 PM
"
G3nobee56 wrote:

* Higurashi When They Cry

If you recommend higurashi you gotta recommend Umineko.
Though one would be better off reading the novels
Oblivious
Thanks to everyone's recommendations I have composed a "to watch" list, according to what caught my attention and really interested me (I googled every single recommendation you've made, read the plot, themes, reception, etc). I'll watch each anime in this order and I'll edit it according to what I've watched so far, or if I feel the need to change priorities or to add something.

I've edited the OP with the list, so I'll keep it updated. I'll probably post a thread with my opinion about some anime after watching it completely, and so we can discuss about it.

Top priority
  • Aoi Bungaku (6)
  • Elfen Lied (16)
  • Serial Experiments Lain (13)
  • Death Parade (12)
  • Sci-Fi Harry (20)
  • Flag (13)
  • Terror in Resonance (11)
  • Boogiepop Phantom (12)
  • Paranoia Agent (13)
  • Spiral (25)
  • Steins;Gate (24)
  • Psycho Pass (22)
  • Code Geass (25)
  • Bokurano: Ours (24)
  • Saikano (13)
  • Parasyte -the maxim- (24)
  • Claymore (26)
  • Cowboy Bebop (26)
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica (12)
  • Real Drive (26)
  • Eden of the East (11)
  • Ghost in a Shell (a lot of stuff, gotta' research well)

Films (probably something I'll watch with my girlfriend)
  • The Garden of Sinners (films) (6)
  • Paprika (1)
  • Voices of a Distant Star (1)
  • 5 Centimeters Per Second (1)
  • Millennium Actress (1)
  • Perfect Blue (1)
  • Grave of the Fireflies (1)

Lowest priority
  • .hack//Sign (26)
  • .hack//Legend of the Twilight (12)
  • Btooom! (12)
  • Terra Formars (13)
  • Welcome to NHK (25)
  • Trigun (26)
  • Moonlight Mile (26)
  • Great Teacher Onizuka (43)
  • No Game No Life (12)
  • Log Horizon (25)
Last edited by Samkiud on Apr 4, 2015, 11:14:53 PM
Kaiba

And don't knock it before you try it. The art of this show is entirely metaphorical. All of it. Even the parts that show more or less detail are done intentionally, and with good reason.

It looks sort of childish as first, but is a huge philosophical thrill ride of emotions, plot twists, and thought provoking dialogue around every turn. Easily a 10/10 on my MAL ratings and one of the best anime I have ever watched. Honestly surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Also, NG,NL wasn't THAT childish. >.>"
"
I'd recommend against that list. You'll be burnt out by the time you get halfway to some of the good stuff.

Unless this is you committing to becoming what you originally called 'otaku'.

I'm against that trend, I just want to enjoy good stories. Let's see what happens.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info