what it is to be

On the flipside, that people keep playing a game with crap loot talks a lot about the game itself, :P

I support the idea of adding new affixes and removing lower tiers, with all the needed adjustments to not make getting alterations harder than it is now. And putting some guaranteed loot over rare and unique monsters.
Thing is that to have risk vs. reward, monsters should be uncheesable with mirror level gear. Else we'd make a system where the rich make themselves even more rich, so there wouldn't be risk.

Honestly, I would like so that the difference between mirror items and lootable items wasn't so big. People would keep chasing those insane items just for the bling, and rare corruptions would become a lot more viable.
There is the whole linking issue limiting all this, though.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Mar 1, 2015, 11:48:55 AM
In our guild, we have an event every week called the "Chicken Drop Contest". Submit a 6-mod rare with the most bottom-tier rolls to win a prize. Highest item-level is the tie-breaker.

We think the name for the contest embodies everything you need to know about level-appropriate drops in PoE.

It should probably also be noted that the very fact a contest of this type exists is an indictment of the same. We are amusing ourselves with the crap loot we are afforded, and amusement is directly proportional to the crappiness.
They have replied to this before back when Light Radius was introduced as affix. Back then their motivation was that bad rolls makes you feel better when you get good rolls.

Whether or not they have changed their stance: I don't know.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
"
Tao_Jones wrote:
In our guild, we have an event every week called the "Chicken Drop Contest". Submit a 6-mod rare with the most bottom-tier rolls to win a prize. Highest item-level is the tie-breaker.

We think the name for the contest embodies everything you need to know about level-appropriate drops in PoE.

It should probably also be noted that the very fact a contest of this type exists is an indictment of the same. We are amusing ourselves with the crap loot we are afforded, and amusement is directly proportional to the crappiness.

*tips hat*

Thx for sharing the lulz sir. Made me laugh :).

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
But i think a more profound issue is the lack of actual interesting modifiers on gear
"
Boem wrote:
@Morbo i would be more then happy with a affix/suffix tier roof on items in relation to there itemlevel.

But i think a more profound issue is the lack of actual interesting modifiers on gear.

If i remember correctly McBscrotie made a thread about this once where he examined the affixes/suffixes of maps and items and redesigned them. And the outcome was a more interesting/engaging item/map modifier composition.

Which in return made the "obvious choice" a lot more obscure and as such instilled doubt in the player on what was actually the most beneficial a choice.

Let's imagine for a moment, "thorns" get's replaced with "deals x% of default attack on hit"

Now suddenly you have a modifier that isn't just a filler and in the right set-up/build actually becomes a buff. Even more so, a built specialized in this modifier could potentially lead to interesting results.

I would very much enjoy if the entire affix/suffix pool was reworked and more interesting modifiers where added and ontop of that a roof was added to abolish T7 rolls from ILVL 78 items for example.

At the same time i think "just adding a roof" without any other consideration would not be a good move in itself.

Peace,

-Boem-

Yep, agree completely. Rares are bland and mostly have a precise set of must-have affixes for a gear piece, else => vendor trash.

Replace "filler affixes" with "niche affixes" and you create a whole new dimension of usability. (not to mention this would be beneficial for stash tab sales, lol :P)
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
Boem wrote:

I would very much enjoy if the entire affix/suffix pool was reworked and more interesting modifiers where added and ontop of that a roof was added to abolish T7 rolls from ILVL 78 items for example.

At the same time i think "just adding a roof" without any other consideration would not be a good move in itself.

Peace,

-Boem-

I can see a huge problem that would be created with a roof where high ilvl loot or items requiring high ilvls can not rolls certain tier mods anymore. It would make crafting with eternals easier, since less mods need to be rolled than before for crafting. I honestly think this is why GGG continues to balance it where there are more mods that can be rolled for increasing ilvls, because this greatly increases the difficulty of crafting with eternals, more mod possibilities at high ilvls means more eternals spent, less people that can afford to use many eternals cause of their high value, less people crafting with eternals in general. I don't think GGG wants their game, where a ton of players are crafting close to perfect items with eternals. That would make many players perceive even more items as trash, because so many close to perfect items exist with high supply.

Honestly, the addition of the eternal was probably a bad move for GGG in regards to balance and something they struggle with to this day. Unfortunately, that ship has sailed and I don't think they can turn back the clock on that one. So GGG is in a tricky balance situation, where they need to maintain that items crafted by eternals are very hard to craft, and something very few players will afford without a very large time investment. But also to balance that players aren't getting all T7 rolls from a drop in a lvl 75 map.

Basically I think a solution could be found much easier for GGG if the eternal had never existed, but what's done is done.
"Come along fool, a direct hit to the senses will leave you disconnected."
Last edited by KimchiGirlx3 on Mar 1, 2015, 2:12:05 PM
When i first began playing I identified every rare and i was always excited when finding them, I thought "nice a huge two-handed axe maybe i can replace my axe which i have found at level 51 now that i am at lvl 75". 10 hours later, after finding out what poe xyz is and that poe is centered around trading, hey cool weapons which can be bought for 1c are better than the one I have found playing poe for 30 hous.
Few hundred hous later ..., stopped caring about economy and started playing selffound in addition to this also stopped picking up any rares beside very specific ones. I approve of the idea of morbo that the item flood is stopped by reducing item quantity drastically and to compensate for this decrease in drops we get more alertation shard for vendoring rares.
I still identify most rares for any item bases I happen to want. Over 2,000 hours of playing and I still haven't got over the feeling of getting a rare of a certain base you want and IDing it to see if it it good or not. I'm very much attracted to that uncertainty of not knowing if an item I ID will be really good or not.
"Come along fool, a direct hit to the senses will leave you disconnected."
Last edited by KimchiGirlx3 on Mar 1, 2015, 2:37:56 PM
Adding more mods to the rare pool and tightening the tiers slightly sounds great to me but it isn't simple.

You start messing with rare drops then you're messing with the raw materials for alts, alcs, chaos, and eventually regals. You're also messing with the balance of uniques that have an opportunity cost for gear slot by not having life and resists. Additionally you've small balances like curse maps vs overcapped res, monster damage vs obtainable life, etc.

If without taking trading in to account you could really disrupt the game by messing with rares. With trading GGG has to be really careful with even small changes if they want to keep difficulty even.
When I kill a man he stays dead.
Remove garbage like Thorns or Light radius and replace it with something more meaningful.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info