what it is to be

"
"
morbo wrote:
Read the latest Q&A. This "everything goes" looting system aint gonna change. It's easy to create (just shove in more RNG) and to maintain. As GGG is concerned, trading / economy provides all the functionality that looting fails to.

The Q and A is not all inclusive. I know things that aren't in there, for example.

This is what I'm implicitly asking. Should I make this my next crusade? Current is infinite minion spawn by bosses, with some Elehit Equilibrium thrown in.

Those gloves would not exist in any other ARPG. They would not exist in any other RPG I know of. Even Dungeons and Dragons has always had difficulty appropriate loot. If you kill a venerable dragon, you're not going to find a scroll of light.

I genuinely want to believe this will be addressed in an overall reduction of loot drop spam. Quality over quantity, GGG. You guys should appreciate that one.

Yes please.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
In D2 the rare monsters always dropped a rare if I remember correctly. Sure 99.5% of the time you vendored it, but you knew at least there was going to be a reward.

What bothers me is killing Kole and getting five low level white items and a wisdom scroll.

I'm not looking for high level drops, but items worth vendoring like Boem pointed out. I need the orbs to buy better orbs to risk more RNG.

Wow. I think I just described the snake eating itself.
"
The Q and A is not all inclusive.

I know and most likely there will be positive surprises (eg. Masters expansion was a great addition to itemization and leveling problems, that I did not expect).

But there in Q/A Chris stresses out that they are happy with a system where everything drops everywhere and that "targeted looting" like Atziri, will be just a marginal part of PoE. This "everything everywhere" goes for affixes too.

A "total RNG" looting system complements an "everything is tradeable" economy system, so I doubt they will steer much away from this concept. I'd like to see less clutter garbage, less drops but more quality ones, especially in high maps... I got bored of endgame precisely because of the unexciting looting. (as someone who plays self found gear, there is very little I can do to make the game drop what I need)

"
Boem wrote:
We need crap, because we need alteration orbs.

That's easily fixed by increasing drop rates of <orb> and make items vendor for more <orb shards>

Arent you bored of playing the role of garbage collector man / recycling system manager, in this role playing game? :P
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
Moonyu wrote:
In D2 the rare monsters always dropped a rare if I remember correctly. Sure 99.5% of the time you vendored it, but you knew at least there was going to be a reward.

What bothers me is killing Kole and getting five low level white items and a wisdom scroll.

I'm not looking for high level drops, but items worth vendoring like Boem pointed out. I need the orbs to buy better orbs to risk more RNG.

Wow. I think I just described the snake eating itself.

Yeah, this is the kind of thing i hate about arpgs, you kill something that was hard to beat and then you find crap loot. Kind of discouraging to play in terms of playing for drops. I no longer play for drops in POE; i know i get a wisdom scroll and some white item and maybe a blue or so from some rare mod i had difficulty with.

Sure, Difficulty itself is always dependent on the player, i dont run around with 100k dps for example so what seems hard for me is faceroll for anyone else. But i doubt that everyone has those 100k dps, and GGG should not balance drops around those who trivialize the content with that much power.

Same thing sadly goes for gems and items as well, there are people who make the most of every gem and its always some OP unique+6L gem set up that breaks the game and becomes the meta for many.

Its not asking for much when we ask for appropriate loot i think. This is the least GGG could give us.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the level required be set by the mods? Why is this item have a required level of 70?
I agree that drops should be more consistent with the level of the area. Not sure why its not. But arpgs are grindfests where you are suppose to vendor most drops.

Too easy and the game becomes boring and you move on. But too hard and you risk losing the much larger casual crowd that funds the game.

Not exactly a win win type of business plan.

But I don't mind vendoring almost all of my rares for orbs. More orbs means more chances and that is kinda the heart if the game. If there are guaranteed drops in certain areas, you would only play those areas.

I still believe GGG could and should buff the drop rates of certain orbs (especially fuses) without changing the RNG aspect of risk when gambling with them.

I still prefer killing monsters over picking through the drops. But yes, once in the maps, I thought I would get better drops too. Getting level 1 or 2 uniques in a level 69 map is annoying as all fuck.

"
Boem, your response lacks vision. I'm sorry. If GGG truly think like that, they're in big trouble.

But they've made this truly visionary game, so I don't think they do. I think this is more a case of 'too hard basket', something I have observed affecting GGG more and more as time has worn on. It makes me sad but it's understandable.

I am simply stating how the current system works.

I observe and state how things currently function and "how it makes sense" given the current game state. That's not to say i don't think there are valuable different routes to explore that would yield a better overall game experience or positive player experience.

My statement merely implied that "just" changing the quality vs quantity while not adjusting other balances or game functions would yield a similar bad player experience as an end result and would be a status quo and not an improvement.

Like morbo imply's, adjusting the overall drop frequency of lower value orbs and then adjusting quantity vs quality ratio's might be a good approach.

But then consider that "targeted farming" is taking an extremely aggressive hit.

Currently players are able to bruteforce mass low orb farming and in the long term this gives stable results farm/hour. If we remove this and instead fully surrender to RNG in order to provide low value orbs i don't think this would be a good change since bad streaks are still a possibility.

"
morbo wrote:
That's easily fixed by increasing drop rates of <orb> and make items vendor for more <orb shards>

Arent you bored of playing the role of garbage collector man / recycling system manager, in this role playing game? :P

My own personal opinion is irrelevant when discussing things like this. I try to factor in as many factors as possible when discussing things like this, my own view of what the game could possibly be is not one of those.

I leave that up to GGG, they can give me a bicycle or a mountain bike, i will try to climb the mountain with whatever provided, since i enjoy the journey to the top irrelevant of provisions. My joy comes from "making it work" in this game. It would be extremely difficult for GGG to change the game so much that disables this from it's core concept.

Peace,

-Boem-

edit : some info :

Currently my own ratio of "good rare drops" is around 1/200 hours of play-time. That is however, without mf gear or targeted mf brute-forcing strategies.
However everything between those 200 hours still yields significant wealth in terms of combined orb value and just overall experience progression. As well as "fun" from just playing my designed theory-craft irrelevant of loot :').
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Last edited by Boem on Mar 1, 2015, 7:57:00 AM
I think that the loot system works this way is because Chris and GGG feel that players shouldn't really find things themselves, but rather gathering vendor shards until they have enough to begin shopping, or flipping for items.

The non targeted, wildly gapped item drop system helps to keep the economy and shopping as the most relevant activity in PoE.

Some of us don't like it that way, but in reality GGG likely won't change anything that they feel helps drive the economic aspects of the game.

Weird stuff for sure :)
The gloves are bad, but they could be worse. It is also possible to get a rare full of filler affixes. In that case the affix level wouldn't even matter.
You have to find a rare with desirable stats and appropriate levels. The double RNG filter in combination with the introduction of some more junk affixes and the continuous creation of powerful unique alternatives are the reasons rares became less and less exciting over time.

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the level required be set by the mods? Why is this item have a required level of 70?

The base item's level requirement matters, too. Slink Gloves are level 70.
Last edited by kruemel2222 on Mar 1, 2015, 8:29:04 AM
The inventory serves to be a balancing factor in team vs solo play when it comes to maps.

Doubling the inventory size for example would be a clear cut buff to party play and a nerf to solo play in comparison.

Currently a solo player is able to haul a lot of additional loot/shards back to base to continue his solo mapping quest and has a higher efficiency compared to team-play in this regard, while team play offers other benefits.

I think we underestimate the effect's of profound changes to the system currently in place.

I think a revolution opposed to an evolution would also compound the "we are still in a beta" feel a lot of players have.

tl;dr HYPE ACT 4!

:)

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info