Sounds in the distance... a lot of them.

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
The interesting "problem" that this creates is philosophical. How do we know it's random? How can we deny that it has a purpose simply because we can't determine one?

I love questions like that. They defy reason.

The classic example is called "Russell's Teapot".

Well, the good news is, this is a problem that has a solution. If it really is RNG, then what I did here probably won't be duplicated, and that will give us our answer.

The reason I posted this is that this is something that can be be tested, at least to an extent, by the community. If someone else tries this and gets similar results, or we can start making these sounds happen more, we can somewhat* rule out RNG as the only factor at play.

The thing that grabbed me about this is how quickly it happened once I started incrementally increasing the map count. It's also what made me think that this maybe isn't purely random.

In realtime, this little experiment took me ten minutes, maybe. I didn't have to sit there for 2 hours or anything.

The next step would be doing something to get the sound to come closer, I guess.

Additional information: this only seems to work with maps. Multiple maps + Vaal fragments does nothing that I've seen. That avenue seems to be a waste of time. As is all of this, perhaps.

Its a throwback to this. There was also another rare message, it would occasionally say "Moo Moo" instead of gem activated.
Last edited by TRV on Feb 25, 2015, 3:50:59 PM
This thread brought lulz. Have some cookies.
"
This thread brought lulz. Have some cookies.

I'd rather have a verified fish. VERIFIED, pls
I also have ben trying something like this. problem is: there are not really other clues.
I used 2 dried lake maps and put them in, after about 20 times I heard something (not literally ofcourse).
Then I put them in all 6 possible configurations and got the sound within 5 tries each time.

Problem with trying to solve this is I have no clues about connected hints. with 2 maps there are 6 possible configurations, also normally 6 portals open. coincidence? probably but there could be an order involved.

Another simple possibillity could be the slots correspond to binary numbers or something like that. so the values of the slots are 1 ,2, 4 and 8 and you can insert a numerical code by inserting 2-4 maps.

I dont know morse code, could have something to do with that ( I believe something with morse code was involved with the BF4 phantom bow thing).

I noticed the planets on the machine also have an order from the inside to the outside ( or in reverse, who knows? it just adds more possibillities)

Also it could be nothing, but the op is right that it is very interesting and trying 10 minutes now and then doesn't hurt.
"
JesseNL wrote:
I also have ben trying something like this. problem is: there are not really other clues.
I used 2 dried lake maps and put them in, after about 20 times I heard something (not literally ofcourse).
Then I put them in all 6 possible configurations and got the sound within 5 tries each time.

Problem with trying to solve this is I have no clues about connected hints. with 2 maps there are 6 possible configurations, also normally 6 portals open. coincidence? probably but there could be an order involved.

Another simple possibillity could be the slots correspond to binary numbers or something like that. so the values of the slots are 1 ,2, 4 and 8 and you can insert a numerical code by inserting 2-4 maps.

I dont know morse code, could have something to do with that ( I believe something with morse code was involved with the BF4 phantom bow thing).

I noticed the planets on the machine also have an order from the inside to the outside ( or in reverse, who knows? it just adds more possibillities)

Also it could be nothing, but the op is right that it is very interesting and trying 10 minutes now and then doesn't hurt.

I like the way you're thinking. It also occurs to me that there are four map slots and four tiers of rarity. That could be something worth looking into. I'll try that shortly.
I think I've figured it out.

Spoiler
GGG uses this to gauge how bored we are.
"Malachai opened a door and stepped into the nightmare."

Anyone have Thicket, Overgrown, Overgrown, Arsenal?
"You go on pretending that you own the universe,
And we'll all be here watching as you're falling down to Earth."
Don't forget that maps are also allocated a letter as part of the guild tag creation system, so there may potentially be further clues down that pathway.

Can someone try spelling F-I-S-H in the map device?
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
"
Don't forget that maps are also allocated a letter as part of the guild tag creation system, so there may potentially be further clues down that pathway.

Can someone try spelling F-I-S-H in the map device?

I prefer B-A-I-T
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on Feb 25, 2015, 9:46:56 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info