Sounds in the distance... a lot of them.

So I read something the other day about hearing a sound in the distance when you try to put two or more maps into the map receptacle. Most people describe having this happen to them once, being confounded, and then not being able to get it to happen again. The most I've heard of is someone getting it to happen twice. Anyways, I decided to try this out for myself, and something kind of interesting happened.

Maybe this is nothing, but I got it to happen at least 10 times, a few of which I screenshotted for you.

The way I did this is by rotating the positioning of the 2 maps. I used two identical types of maps and placed them in different positions in the four slots. Doing this, I received 3 notifications that I hear a sound. This is what you see in the first image.

I keep trying this 2 map pattern, but to no avail. Nothing happens, as you see in the second image.

I then place three maps (instead of two) into the receptacle and immediately get another sound. Then after a few more tries, a second sound. This is what you see in the third image. Once again, I'm alternating the positioning of the maps each time.

After those two more notifications, I get no more notifications until I load the device up with four maps. 3 More notifications immediately appear in fairly quick succession.

Then nothing. At this point I got sick of it and gave up.

So perhaps this is just an elaborate ruse, but if my pattern holds true, you can get those sounds to happen more and more by starting with two maps and moving up to 3, then 4.

I don't know what the sounds mean still, and I haven't gotten anything concrete to come of it, but I just thought I'd share this bit of information.

Again, it's probably just GGG playing a trick on us, BUT... if somebody else is able to replicate what I've done here, that will signal that we might not be looking at something entirely random after all, but an elaborate numerical puzzle of some kind.

I'll leave that to someone more clever than myself to figure out.

Try it out for yourself, if you get a minute. Start with two maps and alternate their positioning within the four slots. Once you start to get sounds, increase the number of maps incrementally and see if this happens for you as well.

Last edited by theloveduck on Feb 25, 2015, 1:54:46 PM
Fishing confirmed.
Well i gave it a shot.
First i've tried with identical 2 cells maps. I've moved there position and i end up with getting the "You hear the sound in the distance" twice. I've added another cells map .. but no matter how many times i've tried and how many times i've switched the places of the maps i wasn't able to get the message again ... so i've tried with 4 maps .. again ... no result.

I've created a new instance and i've tried again ... this time after getting the second message i've decided to run both maps ( one after the other ) ... nothing interesting or unusual happened it them.

In any case i love this kind of stuff...
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/283/235/7e3.jpg
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last edited by KorgothBG on Feb 25, 2015, 2:29:09 PM
For all your up-to-date Path of Exile news and events, check out the official Path of Exile Forum here -------- http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/
"
KorgothBG wrote:
Well i gave it a shot.
First i've tried with identical 2 cells maps. I've moved there position and i end up with getting the "You hear the sound in the distance" twice. I've added another cells map .. but no matter how many times i've tried and how many times i've switched the places of the maps i wasn't able to get the message again ... so i've tried with 4 maps .. again ... no result.

I've created a new instance and i've tried again ... this time after getting the second message i've decided to run both maps ( one after the other ) ... nothing interesting or unusual happened it them.

In any case i love this kind of stuff...
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/283/235/7e3.jpg

Yeah. a little bit of background... I got the sound to happen 3 times with 2 maps before I made the switch to 3 maps. Try that. The pattern, (if there is one) seems to be
3 sounds with 2 maps slotted, then
2 sounds with 3 maps slotted, then
3 sounds with 4 maps slotted.
I dunno. Could just be something put there to set us snapping at our own heel, but it would be cool if there was something there that somebody who was good with puzzles could see.
I think it is just random.

Like witch char saying: life is fleeting
after rare monster kill
Vorici can shove his fuse up his [removed]
This is such a reference to the chat gem in D2's battlenet. "Working as intended" has become one of the more memorable responses in gaming history.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
This is such a reference to the chat gem in D2's battlenet. "Working as intended" has become one of the more memorable responses in gaming history.

It's confounding! I know I'm probably being had, but I just can't stop! It's like I'm chasing the dragon
Well, i'll give it a shot. :)
The interesting "problem" that this creates is philosophical. How do we know it's random? How can we deny that it has a purpose simply because we can't determine one?

I love questions like that. They defy reason.

The classic example is called "Russell's Teapot".

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info