New Skill Development - Part 1

Can't wait to remake my WC baba, its been like a decade!
Melee is fine damagewise already.

What it needs is better defensive options against things that actually kill melees. Things that ranged players can usually avoid very easily, by just being out of range or dodging.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
Last edited by mazul on Feb 9, 2015, 10:46:36 AM
That sounds really interesting! It would be great to solve the mana problems of Cyclone builds (f4ck you Soul Taker)

BTW: How does this making-new-skill thing works related to us, the players? Can we submit some ideas here hoping you might pick it up?

I've been thinking of a mele Herald for some time and would like to know were can I talk about it! =D
"
Lucid_ wrote:
Could you make it (and enduring cry) actually work?Like actually taunt monsters?

The aggro lasts about .01 seconds. The monsters tend to look at whatever is taunting them, then reset and continue doing whatever. At the moment enduring cry is just to generate endurance charges.. that's it...

How about having mobs only change their state ever 2-3 seconds, unless acted upon by some external influence (e.g., a new skill that was cast)?

Like Lucid_ said, it is pretty ridiculous when mobs appear to change their mind multiple times per second. For me this is especially apparent when mobs are near an area that causes burn damage. Ohhhh no, I'm burning, run away ... now I'm not burning, run back ... ohhhh, I'm burning again, run away ... etc., etc., etc.
awesome rory and more buff type skills like that. definitely help out and helps promote group play more. :) also a healing skill buff. like warcry that grants life regen or more leech. like a how blood rage works but like a warcry so it grants others that are in the radius of the caster and lasts for a short time like the counter to count down.
rawrawr
I think PoE needs a skill like Vaal Cyclone - pulling monsters (big effect radius). That would make a great support build.
Cast on desync :D
If seriously, than PoE need firewall and telekinesis, for example.
How about buff that grants stackable defensive bonus after melee kill... For example 5% damage mitigation up to 20% at maximum stacks?
"
Chameleon wrote:
"
Rory wrote:
In addition, all enemies in the radius are taunted to attack the caster.

The last thing Melee characters need is to draw more fire. It should be "all enemies in the radius lose agro", now that would be much more helpful for melee players.

Not at all! I try to do this on my marauder right now with self cast Enduring Cry but it doesn't really work. I don't notice much difference in enemy aggro. Less time spent walking over to your target is a good thing to me. :)
"
dlrr wrote:
Thanks for sharing Rory! Very interesting to read the thought process behind what's coming up.

Here are my thoughts:

- I like the idea of Inspiring Cry. It adds variety and more choices for the gem slots which is always a good thing. Life and mana regen sounds like a prime candidate for CWDT + Blood Rage + Inspiring Cry

It adds damage and mana regen not life regen. :)

"

- Warcries, as a style-of-play mechanic, doesn't fill an empty space. We have currently curses, self cast ECs/ICs, etc. Not that it's not nice to have, it just isn't a major change from what we've seen.

Curses have to deal with hexproof mobs/maps and reduced effectiveness on bosses.
Inspiring Cry seems like the offensive counterpart for Enduring Cry.

"

- There's a reason why CWDT is so popular. Casting buffs and debuffs as a style-of-play mechanic isn't exciting

- As a player, I'd be more incentivised to sacrifice my 0.5 seconds of gameplay time to cast a buff/debuff if it has a visceral impact to the screen state (eg: temporal chains / blood rage / cold snap) as opposed to one that just deals with numbers (eg: reduce resistances / enfeeble). It's just more fun, even if it is not necessarily more effective

- The current mechanic of warcries benefiting more from having more monsters around actually lessens its effectiveness as a melee boost. Melee characters have the most trouble with big bosses and these bosses may not always have monsters around to boost cries from. This probably is intended, but think it would be a better melee boost if their effectiveness were not based on monster availability. Otherwise, melee would need other ways to handle big bosses

With the addition of the Warcry keyword I am guessing they will be getting the curse treatment. Meaning they will be nerfed but you can take passives to get them back to current levels or even surpass it if you want. The keyword also makes it much easier to declare something like "Warcries can not be triggered."

It won't necessarily work well with CwDT. If it starts at lv34 that automatically means a lv3+ CwDT. CwDT synergy can be further disrupted by making the benefit per enemy scale much better with level so that somewhere around the lv18-20 range it will work well enough even for the single target cast. "Can be used while attacking." would also be a pretty nice way to encourage self casting. :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info