1.3.1 Patch, New Microtransaction Videos, Unique Item Preview and Design Process

"
super-secret supporter-designed
LOL! :D
Playing marauder @ Hardcore leagues

Very nice MTX for blink arrow! :)
Looking forward to see full patch notes and rest of unique items. Thanks!
*yawn*

I seem to be doing that a lot recently. Still don't see anything that would even remotely mke me think of supporting GGG with my hard earned money. Oh well, maybe 1.4 then.
Last edited by rampagingrabbit on Feb 2, 2015, 4:51:16 AM
"
acme_myst wrote:
While I agree with the sentiment that this new unique is hardly useful, I don't think the way that this critique has been delivered is very constructive.

What confuses me more, though, is that GGG thinks of this unique as "A powerful late-game item for players to aspire to". Let's look at what this item does, and what GGG says about it.

With regards to the +1 Gems, I will hands-down agree that this is "universally strong", no question about it.

However, saying that "its defensive values are reasonably good"? It provides marginal armor and evasion. Also, it provides this through a percentage increase of the base values, so quality will be ineffective at increasing these stats. Furthermore, it provides no life, and no resists. Given how (effective) defense works in this game, this item's defensive values are pretty much outdone by any rare item dropped on-level, let alone late game.

Then, the 40% reduced light radius. While the opposite, increased light radius, is often (and rightfully) considered a lost affix slot, 40% reduced is a HUGE quality of life loss. Having played with Darkray Vectors in the past, this stat alone would keep me away from the item, even if the other stats were way better.

And finally, the signature mods on the item, the %increased attributes. Going from the rolls on the item, I'd expect a range of 5-15%, maybe 5-20% if being optimistic. So that gives you, with perfect rolls, around 40 to each stat, assuming you already have 200 base. In other words, you need to already be heavily invested, for the increase to become somewhat useful. Even then, "use it with PotCG"? Given those stats, that's about 2% IAoE, 4% AS, and 64% IPD on a 33 pdps base. Is this really something GGG thinks players will "aspire to"?

Admittedly, this post also fails somewhat in being constructive, in that I really don't see how to "fix" this item, within its design. You could increase the numeric values, making them a bit more useful, but even then I doubt this would see much play. As is, it looks extremely underpowered, even compared to an average level 51 rare.

In short, I really feel that GGG should rethink how they approach unique design. Clearly, there is a huge disconnect between what they feel is good design, and what players are looking for in an item. "Interesting" unique design doesn't mean that the item has to be the most effective way to accomplish something, but that also doesn't mean that ineffective uniques are automatically interesting. I'm not saying that every unique should be omfg-faceroll OP, but they should all have a reasonable use case within the current state of the game.

edit: math.

Yep

Even the mentioned uses in the OP are not very good choices as you have to put so much into strength to make them even kinda useful and what you give up for that is better then what you gain.

also both mtx are kinda boring looking... just saying love this game and all but that's how I felt when I saw them.
Last edited by n3xx on Feb 2, 2015, 5:06:06 AM
Nothing has been mentioned in one of the patch post about new skill gems, or did i miss that line? So i assume there will be no new skill gems this patch?
"
LostKavi wrote:
This helm...Did facebreakers just get an indirect buff with that %strength? O.O

No because with facebreakers it's all about the flat physical damage ... the % str would mean nothing for facebreakers compared to an Abyssus or Bringer of Rain

What i hope to see is more uniques with which you can create a build around... these are the uniques that i actually care about. Yup like facebreakers, or three dragons, or well .. you know what i'm talking about.
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last edited by KorgothBG on Feb 2, 2015, 5:21:50 AM
"
acme_myst wrote:
While I agree with the sentiment that this new unique is hardly useful, I don't think the way that this critique has been delivered is very constructive.

What confuses me more, though, is that GGG thinks of this unique as "A powerful late-game item for players to aspire to". Let's look at what this item does, and what GGG says about it.

With regards to the +1 Gems, I will hands-down agree that this is "universally strong", no question about it.

However, saying that "its defensive values are reasonably good"? It provides marginal armor and evasion. Also, it provides this through a percentage increase of the base values, so quality will be ineffective at increasing these stats. Furthermore, it provides no life, and no resists. Given how (effective) defense works in this game, this item's defensive values are pretty much outdone by any rare item dropped on-level, let alone late game.

Then, the 40% reduced light radius. While the opposite, increased light radius, is often (and rightfully) considered a lost affix slot, 40% reduced is a HUGE quality of life loss. Having played with Darkray Vectors in the past, this stat alone would keep me away from the item, even if the other stats were way better.

And finally, the signature mods on the item, the %increased attributes. Going from the rolls on the item, I'd expect a range of 5-15%, maybe 5-20% if being optimistic. So that gives you, with perfect rolls, around 40 to each stat, assuming you already have 200 base. In other words, you need to already be heavily invested, for the increase to become somewhat useful. Even then, "use it with PotCG"? Given those stats, that's about 2% IAoE, 4% AS, and 64% IPD on a 33 pdps base. Is this really something GGG thinks players will "aspire to"?

Admittedly, this post also fails somewhat in being constructive, in that I really don't see how to "fix" this item, within its design. You could increase the numeric values, making them a bit more useful, but even then I doubt this would see much play. As is, it looks extremely underpowered, even compared to an average level 51 rare.

In short, I really feel that GGG should rethink how they approach unique design. Clearly, there is a huge disconnect between what they feel is good design, and what players are looking for in an item. "Interesting" unique design doesn't mean that the item has to be the most effective way to accomplish something, but that also doesn't mean that ineffective uniques are automatically interesting. I'm not saying that every unique should be omfg-faceroll OP, but they should all have a reasonable use case within the current state of the game.

edit: math.

+1

I like the unique, but honestly, I'll probably never use it, which is imo exactly the problem with most uniques.
official start of a4 teasing? nice ;-)
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
KorgothBG wrote:

What i hope to see is more uniques with which you can create a build around... these are the uniques that i actually care about. Yup like facebreakers, or three dragons, or well .. you know what i'm talking about.

Less Shavs, more 3 Dragons please. :D That helm is my favorite unique in the game. You can do some wacky shit with it <3
"But we still had a lot of fun, please don't think this comes from hate.
We bitch because we like you and we want you to be great!" ~Miracle of Sound
Time for Doon Cuebiyari Build with max STR, with alberon & this item, it's about 38% increase STR (if iy's 20% increase), So much base life & increase damage
Last edited by snakesolidx on Feb 2, 2015, 6:55:33 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info