Remove xp penalty's from death

If I know GGG, if you did talk them into having a recovery mechanic it wouldn't just be tacked on to what we currently have. They would make it so overall there's a nerf, but not by half. That's where my figure came from, it's about a third reduction after the recovery. As they nerfed the penalty by 33% when they did nerf it, I suspect that's about what they would do. So non-recovered deaths would be more punishing, rather than "free" when compared to currently.
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
I'm against an xp "recovery" mechanic. I might not be against it if it was a game where instances stayed open permanently so you could AFK in peace and come back in2hours to get your revenge. However, that isn't the case, so dying would mean scrambling back within the next 8 minutes to an hour.

That, and you'd have to balance the xp penalty according to the permanent portion anyway.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
I honestly would not mind leaving the penalty as is and adding a ~50% recovery. I'd much rather the monster that landed the killing blow be upgraded (like, super beefy) so that not only do you have to learn from your mistake, but have increased challenge to recover a portion of lost exp.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
"
CanHasPants wrote:
I honestly would not mind leaving the penalty as is and adding a ~50% recovery. I'd much rather the monster that landed the killing blow be upgraded (like, super beefy) so that not only do you have to learn from your mistake, but have increased challenge to recover a portion of lost exp.

Would be interesting to see how that works in a party setting, what if it was a boss or exile :D
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
Exactly ^-^
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Since we're on the subject if xp recovery, I mentioned earlier tying a possible xp recovery to maps.

It doesn't really seem within the style of PoE to just tack on a carbon copy of the Dark Souls 2 system, and besides that, it doesn't really differentiate between deaths from build flaws and deaths from player mistakes; if you die and try to recover your blood spot, you will either face off against weakened opposition or a boss that is as tough as when you first arrived.

My idea is to gave special 'purgatory' maps that don't drop items, don't apply a death penalty, can only roll dangerous mods, and the mods they roll grant more XP instead of item drops. Oh and you can only gain XP up to your lost death XP, obviously. They also only grant one portal.

The idea being, if you die because your build has poor defenses or you have poor player habits, there's no way you will make it through a level 78 -max resist vulnerability map. If you die because of random mistakes, you should be able yo handle the extra-hard content no problem.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
Yay! Compromise and reasoned discussion!

I'm also fine with a 1/2 exp recovery mechanic, although I do not personally think the % numbers need to be changed (one can recover 5% after a 10% death). Yes, for many people this would reduce the exp penalty, which I am totally OK with. But for those who try to facetank tough content and get caught in a corner, their attempts to recover lost exp might lead to more deaths - I think this is a perfectly acceptable form of retaining the challenge of leveling.

The only potentially unforseen consequence I can think of would come in the form of ragequits/ragethreads from those who lose 30% exp trying to recover a corpse. However, any increase in the exp penalty as it stands - which has been suggested by some on this thread - would also lead to just as much outrage. Whether you believe that kind of reaction justified or not (and even if you want those people to leave PoE anyway, which I do not), I have a feeling GGG will try to avoid the drama.
We're all in this leaky boat together, people.
Last edited by demon9675 on Feb 24, 2015, 11:04:52 PM
"
demon9675 wrote:
Yay! Compromise and reasoned discussion!

I'm also fine with a 1/2 exp recovery mechanic, although I do not personally think the % numbers need to be changed (one can recover 5% after a 10% death). Yes, for many people this would reduce the exp penalty, which I am totally OK with. But for those who try to facetank tough content and get caught in a corner, their attempts to recover lost exp might lead to more deaths - I think this is a perfectly acceptable form of retaining the challenge of leveling.

The only potentially unforseen consequence I can think of would come in the form of ragequits/ragethreads from those who lose 30% exp trying to recover a corpse. However, any increase in the exp penalty as it stands - which has been suggested by some on this thread - would also lead to just as much outrage. Whether you believe that kind of reaction justified or not (and even if you want those people to leave PoE anyway, which I do not), I have a feeling GGG will try to avoid the drama.

I guess someone else had to of suggested a system similar to one I mentioned probably in the first 10 pages before people can think, hey that is a good idea. As long as it wasn't me that mentioned it.

I still don't know if 50% is the right number either, I just know a recovery mechanic would make parties that are upset with stupid deaths out of their control happier while not opening up the exploit (as much) for those that simply die because of stupidity.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
I'm still against a "corpse recovery" mechanic. I gave my reasoning to Polaris when he first brought it up. Don't feel like repeating myself.

In the spirit of Bender Rodriguez, enjoy this thread, chumps.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
goetzjam wrote:

I guess someone else had to of suggested a system similar to one I mentioned probably in the first 10 pages before people can think, hey that is a good idea. As long as it wasn't me that mentioned it.

I still don't know if 50% is the right number either, I just know a recovery mechanic would make parties that are upset with stupid deaths out of their control happier while not opening up the exploit (as much) for those that simply die because of stupidity.

It was a good idea when you mentioned it, too :)
We're all in this leaky boat together, people.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info