Tips for farming / Magic Finding

"
Talking about mapping, and one of the most important things in high level maps is:

When it comes to mapping, there's no big secret you know that every one of us don't also know. It's pretty simple.

- Lvl 70-74 maps, Alc and go. Make a character that can do all map mods so you don't waste any currency bricking bad mods.

- Lvl 75 & 76 maps, Alc + Vaal and go. Now it's especially important to have a char that can do hard maps, because it's important to run 100-200% item quantity maps whenever possible.

- Lvl 77 and above, Alc + chisel + Vaal and go.

- Kill all monsters, flip all chests. If you have a good amount of item rarity / quantity, don't pick up two handed weapons. You'll fill 5-6 inventories and you don't have time or space to waste on two handers.
"
Manocean wrote:
"
Goatsebusters wrote:

is it multiboxing with 6 clients

Talking about mapping, and one of the most important things in high level maps is:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Just look at OP's post; one extremely profitable thing that is missing

Running them with a fee obviously. E.g. lvl 78 map, 2c fee. You gain 10c in 5 minutes.
^ If you do above, it's easily 30-40 exalts group mapping over a character, I also don't feel the dom run was a fair comparison since most "good" dom farmers actually quad client or more.

Also important to note is that in a HC league when trying to mass accrue currency, dom farming is safe and mapping is not and if you are going for the big big exalts your char is worth about 50 ex+ most likely.

Either way, meh... I don't really do either to generate currency in the long run, there are some really easy oppurtunities to generate currency in the short term at the start of a league and then just trade/casually map to the end.

Atziri farming on a HC league is also extremely profitable with guaranteed chaos each run and multiple exalts for rare drops.
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
Last edited by Chundadragon on Feb 2, 2015, 6:23:22 AM
Dominus runs seem to be very strong, but I think that maps are actually better. Not because of the rares, but because of the xp.
Ok, if you run low level maps fast with high IIR/IIQ you will probably not gain character xp, because you can still die from time to time, BUT you get gem XP!
And this is not to be unterestimated. In theory you can get 30 * ~1 Mio gem XP in one map.

Assuming that 1 1/20 Gem is worth ~9 GCPs, you can say, that 1 maprun gives you almost 1 GCP worth of xp!

Ok,in reality its a lot less, but still, if you focus on map XP, you might still get +0,5 GPC per map in addition to the chaos recipe.

Btw.: If you do low level maps, you can easily sustain them and you WILL HAVE TO burn them by vendoring 3 magic->unid magic, which is a huge boost in MF.

I dont have a dedicated MF char yet, but I wonder if its worth picking up all those 4x2 items and not just leaving them on the ground. For the chaos recipe, the rings are the bottleneck.

If you farm higher lv maps, it might also be a good idea to alch rings and amulets to complement your chaos recipe.(while hoping to get a good roll ofc)
Last edited by ExiledRenor on Feb 2, 2015, 6:36:12 AM
And to me, call me crazy, but the funniest part about Dom runs aren't that it's inefficient and a bad way to generate currency over the long run.

The funniest part to me is how f'ing boring they are. I mean how bad would a persons life have to suck for them to spend even 1 second of their time doing something that boring. It's hilarious. Dom runners don't even enjoy it. Even they know it's mind numbingly boring, yet they do it anyway. It's sad really.

That's why I play self found now, and play maps.

a) Most efficient way to generate wealth, hands down. 1.5 EX per hour not counting any item finds or any 20/20 gem sales which add up fast. Check page 3. Even a guy who plays as little as me has over 40 x 20/20 gems waiting to be sold, and many that already were. That's free value right there, just map and earn experience, easy.

b) Its fun to actually kill a variety of monsters and many different map bosses, rather than just leap slam past everyone for 2 minutes and then kill a lvl 68 boss that isn't even a threat to a half naked character.

c) It's fun to have to switch up some gear, flasks, gem slots to take on the more interesting high level corrupted maps with 8 mods.

d) It's fun to build up your own character with finds and get better that way. It's not for everyone, but it's really one of the best reasons to play. Why else play a game right? It's to enjoy the process isn't it?

Dom runs have NOTHING to offer. Less currency, no experience, and shoot yourself in the f'ing head boredom. Awesome !
Last edited by VixTrader on Feb 2, 2015, 6:47:06 AM
To turn from dumb to plain retarded.

Told you to stop somewhere in-between.

This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
"
The funniest part to me is how f'ing boring they are. I mean how bad would a persons life have to suck for them to spend even 1 second of their time doing something that boring. It's hilarious. Dom runners don't even enjoy it. Even they know it's mind numbingly boring, yet they do it anyway. It's sad really.

But still, its the games fault, not the players.

It has to do with the kind of motivation a game provides.
I am no expert, but there are these 2 types:
-intrinsic
-extrinsic

A player plays a game not necessarily because it is fun, but because he EXSPECTS it to be fun. As the fun is generated through item aquisistion, dominus runs are MOTIVATING. However, this motivation is extrinsic. The impulse to do this boring stuff is generated by the primariy motivation source: progress

Doing maps serves the same purpose and has the same source of motivation: progress
However, this motivation is intrinsic, as the player does not only do maps because of the progress, but also because of the reason that its fun.

I hope I did not explain the situation too inaccurate, but genereally speaking: good game design is always build upon intrinsic motivation.

This means: If dominusruns are indeed the optimal way to accumulate wealth, this would be a PLAIN GAME DESIGN MISTAKE.

Something you might also want to take from this is, that the player is NEVER GUILTY on how he plays the game. The game design determines the playstyle, its not the other way round.

You cannot blame people if they do something boring or lame in a game, but its the duty of a good game designer to balance and introduce mechanics which make dull playstyles obsolete.

Just a side note: In my opinion the amount of loot is dumb, as it interferes with the game flow. What should be done about MFing is to HALF all rare drops, but double(or +50%) the vendor price of rares and in addition up the droprate of alchs a little bit to compensate for the lower number of high tier rares.
Same reason: Playing in the optimal way makes the game dull(=having to go to town after every blue pack)
Last edited by ExiledRenor on Feb 2, 2015, 7:13:43 AM
shame really, this went from a potentially useful thread on MF for new players to 6 pages of pointless e-peen contest...
It's still useful if people sift past the e-peen measuring (mine's biggest)

Ways to accumulate wealth running Dom:

1) Minor Orb drops - very low rate, but some. Mostly ALTS, and some Chromes and Jewellers

2) Chaos recipe - As with any other type of MF'ing, chaos recipe is worth using.

3) Item drops - No more than any other farm style really. High MF, cull bosses, cross your fingers.

Ways to accumulate wealth running Maps:

1) Mass orbs - Easily 1 EX worth an hour for nearly anybody, and if you're efficient, can be more

2) Chaos / Regal recipe - I often do unid regal for 2 each time, but even if you did the chaos recipe, it's again worth doing.

3) Item drops - See above. Nothing special, POE is an item grind no question. Very few and far between.

4) Leveling gems - As I've shown, this leads to a lot of value. I play characters that can level 12 at a time, but even if you level just 6 on switch, every once in a while that's 10 EX worth.

5) Chancing items - If you choose, you can throw chance orbs at anything worth 20+ EX. It's rare, but over the course of your time playing you'll chance one or two big ticket items. Dom running, zero.

6) Superior gems - Again, you find millions of em mapping. When you get high teens ones, that's value. You can sell it as a lvl 1 / q 16+, or you can throw a few GCP's at it and level it to 20/20

7) Maps - I run a lot of corrupted 75's and 76's, selling all the 77's and 78's I find. It's very profitable, and with high item quantity you can keep a constant supply going.

8) Carto Boxes - If you're in 75 and above maps, every time you find one that's instant value. If you happen to be lucky enough to be in a 77 or 78, that's several EX's.

Sorry Dom runners, it's game over :)
"
VixTrader wrote:
I mean how bad would a persons life have to suck for them to spend even 1 second of their time doing something that boring.

^Some people say that about video games, a lot of people, video games are pretty fucking boring and pointless for anyone with a pretty exciting life, but...

I ask the same thing when I read your responses in this thread, it's as if your whole existence hinges on proving whether Xbox1 is better than PS4.

It's actually kinda tragic reading it. Like the only joy you have in life right now is that your opinion on gaining currency in maps in a video game may be better than others.

Sorry VixTrader, it's game over :) none of this matters in real life even if it means the world to you :)

---- on-topic ----

As someone with much much much more experience mapping than you, you are still missing one thing to increase your currency gain even more. Probably would have brought it up if you were normal.

So far no one has brought it up which is kinda weird..

----

When you post that 3 hour video of you mapping, VixTrader, PM it to me so I can tell you what you are doing wrong. Because I can't waste any more time here.
anything is everything
Last edited by Manocean on Feb 2, 2015, 8:34:54 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info