10 unqiues that are in need of renewal, badly

@raics: I think your entire premise about Hyrri's is wrong.

Str/Bow builds' popularity is a non-issue, because Hyrri's fails to provide the niche you're suggesting it does. There is no incentive for a str-tree build to want to incorporate a dex defense with a dex keystone that carries a str drawback. Str cannot make use of the base EV, and Acro's 50% less AR precludes IR as well as reduces the effectiveness of any other AR gear/passives. It just does not fit with anything a str build could do, and for that it fails to beg the question of how it might shift resource allocation priorities.

Instead, I think it is a dex-aligned item that is simply outdated and has been "badly in need of renewal" since v0.11.0

Suggestion:
"20% chance to avoid taking damage; you cannot dodge."

Note: This is any damage (perhaps not DoT's due to technical limitations), but at less effectiveness. This allows it to be niche for some str builds, and offers a unique building opportunities for dex builds*, but at a drawback of lost potential compared to just building traditional dodge.
Edit: Especially dex/int / EV/ES builds.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Jan 29, 2015, 3:11:23 PM
"
CanHasPants wrote:
Str/Bow builds' popularity is a non-issue, because Hyrri's fails to provide the niche you're suggesting it does.

Yeah, you know, that might be hard to confirm, it was a GGG unique. However, that niche is supposed to exist and the item strongly smacks of something devs might put out to reinforce it and it's a pretty old unique after all. It's possible the item was given so high eva score to compensate for lack of dexterity and eva nodes on left side and it would be desirable for a STR archer because of that, socket color and a keystone he can't normally get.

Just a theory, I can't really claim it's right but I also can't really think of any other purpose behind the item and it does lean somewhat on the lore.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
We do agree about the age of the item, and how its possible intentions might not have translated well over time. Hehe, might ^-^

At any rate, all I really have left to say about Hyrri's is that I think it is in a very similar situation as Essentia Sanguis; both were great items (but not mandatory) until the passive tree changed.. although in the case of Essentia, "it was great" in development (OP is wrong.. it was added in the same patch as Ghost Reaver, which rendered it obsolete almost immediately upon release).
Spoiler
And was a pretty shallow blow the unique's designer.

On the topic of Essentia, IMHO the only thing this item needs is to replace "Ghost Reaver" with the line "Life leech from hits with weapon applies to Energy Shield instead of Life." That would give it an incredibly unique flavor, and maybemake Myrmi very happy too ^-^

That would be pretty fucking awesome of you to do, GGG ;D
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Jan 29, 2015, 5:18:43 PM
"
CanHasPants wrote:
That would be pretty fucking awesome of you to do, GGG ;D

It would, like the awesome job they did with Voll's Protector. Instead of leaving it as a weak unique with a 100% PCoC as 7th socket once we got the gem, they went the extra mile and gave it a rulebreaker ability so it remained a build enabler.

Last edited by raics on Jan 29, 2015, 5:29:46 PM
A very good post Victor hands down.
I agree with almost everything, especially with Terminus Est since thats the sword of a very interesting protagonist ( torturer, executor ) from a very good book I've read myself two times long ago and I always wanted to "roleplay" him with this sword.
"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
thats the sword of a very interesting protagonist ( torturer, executor ) from a very good book I've read myself two times long ago.

And two times is the bare minimum, every time you connect a few more dots.

Thematically, Hyrri is not a Marauder. She is the epitome of dexterity (like Kaom is to strength/marauders and Shavronne is to int/witches), which implies Ranger. Her armor is just... terrible. There are so many awesome and obvious changes to it, but GGG hasn't touched it. To match the others, it should probably turn some game mechanics on their head to be a "correct" re-implementation.

Kaom says "+bajillion HP, but you lose sockets".
Shavronne says "not great ES, but chaos no longer bypasses eshield".
Maybe Hyrri should say "Hits have to confirm against evasion twice, but you can't use defensive triggers". Or something. Random thought of the day.

... either that or just buff its numerical values and change Acro to dodge%.

---

If we're talking about strength archery, then that's Lioneye. He was a big dude, his bow has "hits cannot be evaded" (which removes accuracy concerns) and he also carried a huge tower shield on his back.

If anything, I wish Lioneye's Glare would refocus on strength archery and have something like +strength or -dex requirements or both. Maybe even a "true" Iron Grip (much like CoD has "true" MoM).
^maybe "hit's are unlucky"

and put acro + phase acro on it.

you would essentially miss out on the 10% dodge nodes between the key-stones, and there is no life on this chest, which in itself is a pretty hard down-side. Don't know, maybe that would be to strong? Every 2-hand wielder would suddenly use it :D, which wouldn't really fit the theme.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
I wonder what is the purpose that you see for Rigvald's Charge that you don't see for Terminus Est? They are very similar to each other, just separated by about 5 levels. Of the two, I honestly think Terminus is better.
Last edited by PolarisOrbit on Jan 30, 2015, 10:08:44 AM
"
PolarisOrbit wrote:
I wonder what is the purpose that you see for Rigvald's Charge that you don't see for Terminus Est? They are very similar to each other, just separated by about 5 levels. Of the two, I honestly think Terminus is better.

i ddint say terminus is bad, i said it goes against its design goal of critting, thats why its on this list because its badly designed.
I carve and sell real animal skulls, check out my work here: https://www.instagram.com/victorseiche/
https://www.facebook.com/victorseicheart/
World first Uber Atziri as 2h and 2h RT build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1058950
Highest level char in Closed Beta, Wytchfindergeneral
Last edited by VictorDoom on Jan 30, 2015, 10:50:15 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info