Look GGG, another armor thread

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
Armour may be shit on its own, but so is ev and es. You know whats even more shit than those defensive options? Every other defensive option, you always have to layer.

The only issue I take with this (out of your whole post) is that EV has Acro&Ondar's, and ES has CI&GR. What does AR have? There are no keystones to enable a pure AR build, like there are for EV and ES; there are only supplementary items, which EV and ES have as well..

Certainly, AR can use endurance charges.. but so too can EV use frenzy charges (to attack faster and thus manually dodge sooner), or ES use power charges (to crit more often and relieve hit-pressure via "a good offense"). Okay, I'm stretching it a bit with the last one ^-^ but still...
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
"
CanHasPants wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
Armour may be shit on its own, but so is ev and es. You know whats even more shit than those defensive options? Every other defensive option, you always have to layer.

The only issue I take with this (out of your whole post) is that EV has Acro&Ondar's, and ES has CI&GR. What does AR have? There are no keystones to enable a pure AR build, like there are for EV and ES; there are only supplementary items, which EV and ES have as well..

Certainly, AR can use endurance charges.. but so too can EV use frenzy charges (to attack faster and thus manually dodge sooner), or ES use power charges (to crit more often and relieve hit-pressure via "a good offense"). Okay, I'm stretching it a bit with the last one ^-^ but still...

Yeah, I guess you didn't want to classify Unwavering Stance (for stun immunity) and Iron Reflexes (for easier scaling of armor), both of which are all on the strength/armor side, as keystones.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Jan 28, 2015, 9:58:20 PM
IR an Armour keystone? Hardly. I'm talking about pure int/ES (CI) or pure dex/EV (Acro). IR is a dex keystone.

Unwavering is a str keystone, but it's functionally more supportive, alike what GR or Ondar's are for CI or Acro. It's not quite the same for AR as CI/GR or Acro/Ondar's are for ES or EV.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Jan 28, 2015, 11:34:56 PM
"
CanHasPants wrote:
IR is a dex keystone.

IR removes all dex bonuses to your eva rating before it gets converted. I wouldn't classify it as a dex keystone.
"
Sa_Re wrote:
"
CanHasPants wrote:
IR is a dex keystone.

IR removes all dex bonuses to your eva rating before it gets converted. I wouldn't classify it as a dex keystone.

I don't think it's proper to say it is or isn't a Dex keystone; it's a hybrid. It's meant to allow someone to use the Arm/Eva gear for more total armor. This is most helpful to Duelist and Ranger, but quite within reach for Marauder as well. That said, it's more typical for life-based builds to pick this up than anyone else, and even more so for those with a strong mix of Str and Dex as opposed to just one.
Snorkle_uk said
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
3 items, 0 Passives = >80k armour

Why would I want to be "a proper armour build" when I can achieve true 59.5% physical mitigation with these three items?

Should I include endurance charges? We are talking about Armour. Anyone can get +1 from Merciless Oak (without sacrificing much at all), and another +1 from a belt corruption (much harder, but possible).

Edit: Of course Taste of Hate actually has great synergy with Armour builds, but its still awesome free mitigation for everyone else.

No one who knows what they are doing is going to invest fully into armour without investing in endurance charges, so yes you should include them. The devs are including them when they test stuff and balance the game.

"
Ceryneian wrote:
use what the game gives you. Trying to play "pure armor" is like trying to play pure evasion with no Acro.

Exactly, Ceryneian is spot on, you have to look at the game and learn it, not bring preconceptions to the table. In D3 you stack armour + all res + vit to combat virtually everything. Thats because its a game designed to be easy for a 12 year old to understand and play, literally. Here there are layers, armour, endurance, soul, ic, granite flasks, taste of hate, coil, a number of ways to mitigate phys and you are expected to layer multiple different coats of mitigation and of avoidance. You dont go evasion, you go evasion + ondars + acro + phase acro, maybe even a jade too, and maybe a shield with some block, thats you avoidance sorted. Now you use coil on top of all those and the saphire flask + endurance charges + immortal call and you are cursing enfeeble maybe even blinding enemies somehow, and you are stacking life, and leeching, and you have some life on hit, and on kill, and life regen, and elemental resist, and you use resist flasks, and dispel ele effects flask, and dispel curse flask.... Defense is never one thing, its many many things none of which has the power to do nearly enough on their own to see you through hard content.

If armour or evasion or energy shield or dodge or block or endurance was good enough on its own to tank maps the game would be broken, because people who dont come to the game expecting to stack just armour and resist but instead actually look at the game mechanics and learn how to play the mechanics on offer will stack 4 or 5 of those things that all work well enough on their own on top of each other and be brokenly tanky, thats already happening to some extent without them being carry strong mechanics on their own.

Its not a game with a handful of stereotype classes that each do something pure and different in an isolated vacuum, I dont see many good builds sticking to their 1/6 of the tree, everything is a hybrid to some extent. I wouldnt play full armour unless I was aegis + rumis, I wouldnt play pure evasion unless I was coil + taste, thats my personal preferences. Evasion is strong where armour falls down, armour is strong where evasion falls down, I dont understand why so many melee characters look at that situation and think "oh, best to get one or the other instead of getting both".

I can understand why so many of those builds fail and we get posts like this though. Please dont take what I say personally, its not about that, its about our group knowledge as a community, thats what I care about and its why I make these posts despite the fact the last thing I want to do is disagree with anyone or make a post of this size. As a community we have got so many things wrong over time, overlooked so much that was later to be recongnised as crazy good. Instead of having a couple of mechanics like armour and resist we have a ton and that makes it more interesting, more customisable, theres like 20+ defensive options and its about what you have the opportunity to use, what you need, what you sacrifice to get this or that. In D3 you have armour, vit and res making up the vast majority of every characters defense. Oh look my bis quadfecta rare demon hunter amulet that is what I would use for every dh build, and monk build, and its exactly the same as a bis barb amulet if you swap the dex for strength... its just so bad, embrace complexity, options and layering. Armour may be shit on its own, but so is ev and es. You know whats even more shit than those defensive options? Every other defensive option, you always have to layer.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying.
To build a successful character one needs to use tools they are given, and they need to do so as efficiently as possible.

At no stage have I mentioned anything about what I am personally doing, so how could I take this personally? Nor have I mentioned anything about evasion, my comments and observations have not been made in the "Armour vs Evasion" context at all - Any such association has been imagined.

The point is Armour is a noob trap. Correction, investing into Armour is a noob trap.

Just to reiterate; Legacy Coil + Taste of Hate + Topaz = 59.5% Physical Damage Reduction of the purest most immutable nature. (Equating to as much as 88k Armour in some situations)
I am well aware of the fact that armour becomes exponentially more effective as hits get smaller. However, you don't actually need 90% Damage Reduction against stuff that you can mitigate so easily. When you do actually need it, Armour becomes less and less reliable. This is where an immutable defence mechanism(s) shines.

Even with great gear and flasks achieving >40k Armour requires heavy investment (Can add on another 20k with Taste of Hate to reach equivalence with Current Gen Coil example). Care to know what one could invest into instead? Anything.
One could take more life nodes, more dps nodes, more block nodes, Defensive Keystones, aura nodes, flask nodes, endurance/frenzy/power charges, skill effect duration, soul of steel*, dps auras/heralds, movement speed (that armour roll on your belt could/should be movement speed too), the list goes on.....
Efficient use of resources is paramount.

You make an excellent point about Endurance Charges, nobody in their right mind should be building Armour without also getting some extra Endurance Charges. However, these charges have a non-negligible ramp-up time and might not be active when you need them (1v1 encounters). By comparison, with enough clear speed flasks and certain vaal skills can enjoy 100% uptime. Furthermore, even >10 points spent getting armour passives are likely to have been more efficient should they have been invested into Immortal Call.

Soul of Steel cluster seems utterly shitty to me, but I remain open-minded about its potential.

'Personal' - Offtopic
Only to say it can, and is being done.

Currently "roflstomping" most content with >600k melee dps thanks to permanent uptime of my flasks and vaal skills.
Clear speed is King
Flasks scale with clear speed
Vaal Skills scale with clear speed
In-game wealth scales with clear speed
IGN: Victory_Or_Sovngarde
It's not a 13 week development cycle, it's a 13 week supporter-pack cycle.
You can play any build you want, as long as it's the current meta.
Last edited by Ashen_Shugar_IV on Jan 29, 2015, 4:49:57 AM
I'm making a 2 handed static strike templar, using endurance charges and armor to tank, just to spite people saying that it doesn't work.

I'm not even in maps, and it's not working. :/

So far, at maximum effectiveness, charges and molten shell - but without a granite flask, I'm at ~64% phys mitigation and horrifically overcapped resistances with 2k life (just entered merc, and getting life and armor at the same time is virtually impossible) I still get regularly bursted down with 3 instant life flasks by packs of 'spike damage' mobs - blackguard elites, titans, any leapslamming fucker, evangelists, anything under the sun with powerful crits (yes, I did have the take less crit damage wheel there - did fuck all) - it's just not feasible.

Right now, in it's current condition, armor does not offer enough mitigation. Admittedly, I'm not running determination right now, I don't have the mana for it yet - but just turning it on gives me a WHOPPING 5% additional estimated phys mitigation. Which means white trash still does bugger all, but you can still get spiked in a heartbeat by every other blue pack.

They have GOT to make armor do more against big hits somehow, because when you're running Unwavering Stance, you are so fucking vulnerable to spike damage - and right now Armor does jack all to mitigate that. Hell, even large packs of Tentacle miscreations are a threat, even with 138% fire res. It's just not effective. I don't care how they improve it, better backseat calculation algorithm, better armor nodes in the tree, buffing the amount of armor provided - SOMETHING, PLEASE.

There is absolutely no excuse for someone with 11k armor to be SIGNIFICANTLY squishier than an equivalent character with 6k evasion rating and the dodge trifecta.
"But we still had a lot of fun, please don't think this comes from hate.
We bitch because we like you and we want you to be great!" ~Miracle of Sound
WTB Vaal Determination

WTB Vaal Vitality

IGN: Victory_Or_Sovngarde
It's not a 13 week development cycle, it's a 13 week supporter-pack cycle.
You can play any build you want, as long as it's the current meta.
"
CanHasPants wrote:
IR an Armour keystone? Hardly. I'm talking about pure int/ES (CI) or pure dex/EV (Acro). IR is a dex keystone.

Unwavering is a str keystone, but it's functionally more supportive, alike what GR or Ondar's are for CI or Acro. It's not quite the same for AR as CI/GR or Acro/Ondar's are for ES or EV.

IR converts all your evasion to armor, so by definition - it is an armor keystone. Simply getting this node allows ANY armor character to use both Jade + Granite flasks and Grace + Determination. Jade + Granite is a massive boost because they each have 3K but can also roll mods for % increased evasion and % increased armor which boosts your base armor.

You also take full advantage of all the end-game hybrid uniques that were made by supporters for their armor builds that exploit IR:

- Bringer of Rain
- Lightning Coil
- Daresso's Defiance
- Cherrubim's Maleficence

Unwavering Stance removes your ability to evade, it is meant to function with armor builds. I don't see how it can be defined as a "strength" keystone. Iron Grip is an example of a strength keystone.

Ghost Reaver is a support keystone for energy shield, just like Blood Magic and Vaal Pact are support keystones for life.

I also think it is interesting how GGG put Mind Over Matter by the armor side of the tree instead of near the Witch / Templar - somewhere like where ZO or Necromantic Aegis is. Maybe they were hinting something but what do I know...

Last edited by Ceryneian on Jan 29, 2015, 8:24:46 AM
"
Ceryneian wrote:

I also think it is interesting how GGG put Mind Over Matter by the armor side of the tree instead of near the Witch / Templar - somewhere like where ZO or Necromantic Aegis is. Maybe they were hinting something but what do I know...

Node had to be as far as possible from witch and templar, to avoid exploits by easy access. The path is inconvenient even for an intel shadow. It couldn't be placed deep in marauder/duelist bottom left area, as it would become useless. So they shoved it right up there.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Jan 29, 2015, 8:56:56 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info