[HC][1.3] The Simple Arc Build / Guide - HC Tested Safe and Effective! *Atziri Viable*

2.0 Update

No ETA on a full 2.0 update.

I do plan on playing Arc again this league but I am not starting my first character as an Arcer.

I have a crit, dual curse version of Arc prepared but it is very preliminary. I am planning to morph this into a low life Arc build eventually if I get the currency to do so. Some of the pathing may be the result of wanting to minimize regrets later (for example, not going to the Scion life wheel).

http://cb.poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMB34rpAv6zVyu9gm0ZCPTAVGpDvOprF5UgLR9MsyBuUDDbXhEPrJg6WFXGdFVfKoPbwfOio3_GEZYOSF3yfjOkkROejDZVS2HiJpUWv_fXm6GPRh0U-tIWb-NqZp5yDwcelS7w1UlRcNWJ03BSj_rr9WSd8h0PqySLwzoqOBcvZOdV1oCkGYr7CfbaGo8WQIV9DdFjQ5RvZlRxhVcpRtexQo5k96a2-q6zQZbQ9RhqOVJYB9Af7-vsOIKb4XOiAASz8B_AZicvkFUaOH6vjRngEtlf3YwkqjbpmjvtPNWmzLfVdVnzhXs=

------------------------ 1.3 Info Below This Line ---------------------------------

First and foremost, this is not an original concept. In fact, this whole build is exactly the opposite of original. This is meant to be a straight forward, simple, easy, and EFFECTIVE Arc build to follow (hopefully :p). There are very little (if any) innovative ideas that have not been covered by other builds.

So if this isn't original, why are you even making this thread?

I had a few goals when starting Bloodlines.
1. To do something I hadn't done before.
2. To be effective in parties and solo.
3. To be as safe as possible.
4. And to be relatively cheap for the start of the new league.

#3 and #4 are the main reasons for posting this build. Most of the builds I found when I was researching Arc had one or more things in common - crit, dual wield, ridiculous gear unobtainable in a temp league, low life, sub par defense, and more.

This build is meant specifically for hardcore temp leagues. You can surely modify the build to fit your needs for everything else but there are probably several other guides you can check out.

Stats and Screenshots

DPS: 18.7k tooltip self buffed (Herald of Lightning)
HP: 5.6k (207% life on tree)
Unreserved Mana: 1.7k (for MoM)
Mana Regen: 400+ (for sustaining high AA and MoM)
Chance to Shock: 45% base, 55% with any flask up
Chance to Block: 25% attacks / 14% spells (54% attacks / 41% spells w/ Rumi's)

Play style

Basically it's as simple as any build can be I think. You just run and destroy everything with lightning. Herald of Thunder is almost always on so just about everything should be cursed. However, the range on HoT isn't that great so if you simply stand at the edge of the screen, monsters on the other edge will not be cursed. When you hit reflect, you pop a Topaz and burst it down. Vaal Storm Call is a good single target skill. It takes so few souls that it's basically available all the time but if you are going into a boss fight, you should save it if you are close. If you delay before moving in to fight a boss, it may be a good idea to remove your curse on hit gem and manually cast your curse.

Pros

- good clear speed
- cheap initial investment, with lots of options for upgrades later
- very nice ehp and extremely safe
- very easy play style (Arc auto targets and we have curse on hit to curse for us)
- fun to play
- reflect safe (w/ Topaz flask)
- great synergy in parties

Cons

- below average single target dps, especially noticeable in tough higher level maps in a party
- some of the gear options at later levels may be very expensive
- reflect can be dangerous if not careful, reflect maps are extremely difficult to run (see section below)

Tree

Here is my level 92 tree. Since this build takes you from Witch to Shadow and Templar and Scion, for leveling you can simply make your way towards those areas, grabbing mostly life and also mana/mana regen/damage as needed. I leveled with Lightning Tendrils until I could use Arc and used Arc in a 3 link in a Lifesprig til Merciless.

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgMAAuMEswceB6UI9A5IEFgRDxEtEZYTnhSwFm8Wvxo4Gmwb8SSqJpUnLyj6KU8snDWSNuk6WDrhQYdFnUbXSVFJskwtTeNTUlVLVcZXKV3yXyph4mpDaxdtGXGFdFV2EXyDfjN-r37Hf8aCEIIegpuCx4PbjDaNGZBVlSCVLpZ0muCdrqIAoqOkkaZXpwismLFCtoa3PriTvOrAGsBUwGbB88y3zfrVddWm2L3ZX9sL3Yzfit-w4BLhc-Nq5CLli-vu7DjtIPAf8NXyRfno_gr-j1crvYL-s-kC5Rn79bQ4

Gem Links

Main Skill (4L or 6L):
Geofri's Crest is a great and more than capable option until you can get a 6 link and a level 3+ empower.

In a Geofri's:

Arc - Spell Echo - Lightning Pen - Empower (or Faster Casting if you don't have/want Empower)

In a 6 Link:

Arc - Spell Echo - Lightning Pen - Empower - Faster Casting - Added Lightning

Auras:

(4L) Reduced Mana - Clarity - Purity of Lightning - Arctic Armour (simply for the slot, reduced mana does not help Arctic Armour in any way)

(3L) Herald of Thunder - Curse on Hit - Elemental Weakness/Enfeeble/*curse of choice*

Movement:

(3L) Lightning Warp - Faster Casting - Reduced Duration

Defense:

(4L) Cast When Damage Taken - Enduring Cry - Immortal Call - Increased Duration

Single Target:
This will go in your helmet if you have a 6 link Cloak of Defiance or it can go in a 4L+ in your Cloak if you are using Geofri's Crest.

(4L) Vaal Storm Call - Increased Duration - Spell Echo - Lightning Pen

Prioritize quality on the following gems:
Arc, Faster Casting, Lightning Pen, Added Lightning, Empower if you plan to level it yourself.

Gear

My Gear

Helmet:
Geofri's Crest OR nice high ES helm with life/res.

Chest:
Cloak of Defiance. A 4L is just fine when using Geofri's Crest until/if you can get a 6 link Cloak.

Wand:
Aim for 100%+ total damage (spell + lightning) w/ cast speed.

Shield:
Rathpith or nice ES shield with life/res. Rathpith is simply a very solid choice for both defense and offense and it's reasonably priced.

Belt:
Doryani's Invitation or generic belt with life/res/armour. The Doryani's Invitation is nice because it allows us to not worry about trying to get life leech anywhere else (1% is plenty). If you can't get the belt, try to get 1% lightning leech on a wand or somewhere else.

Gloves:
High ES w/ life/res.

Boots:
High ES w/ life/res/movement speed. Either your gloves, boots, or helm need to be Armour/ES so you can actually get 4 red sockets without breaking the bank.

Rings:
Life/res/mana regen/ES/max mana/cast speed are all desirable affixes. Prioritize life and mana regen.

Amulet:
Life/res/spell damage/cast speed/mana regen/ES. Similar to rings but prioritize more damage and less concern about mana regen here.

Bandits

Normal: Help Oak
Cruel: Kill All
Merciless: Kill All

How to run reflect maps

By using the following items and gem setup, you should be able to run reflect maps. It is a pain to get all the items and gems you need and switch everything around for the occasional reflect map but sometimes a good map requires it be run and it's worth doing this in those situations.

Items

Gems

Replace Empower w/ Life Leech (ideally quality)
Replace Added Lightning w/ Added Chaos
Remove completely Lightning Pen
Remove completely Elemental Weakness
Curse w/ Warlord's Mark

Atziri info

Atziri is doable with this build. Unfortunately, I ripped to some otherwordly devourers before getting to try her in Bloodlines. But never the less, I have done her in Standard with this build (with a few tweaks - about 6-8 less points in life and more into damage) and here are my thoughts:

1. Clearing the trash mobs is EZPZ and fast.
2. Double Vaal is EZPZ as well, no problem at all.
3. The trio is EZPZ, again no trouble. Try to target the Titty Bitch first and then just kite the rest until you win.
4. Atziri herself is quite easy as well. The only issues I ever had was the split phase. You can't use Arc because of the mirror so you have to use Storm Call. My latest plan that seems to be the easiest/best/most reliable is to use Storm Call in my 6L Cloak and only use Arc for the feeding phase. I use the gem setup below and I don't even bother removing Conc Effect with Arc because the minions die instantly anyway. I have also added a way to curse Atziri.

Atziri Gem Setup:

Storm Call - Faster Casting - Spell Echo - Lightning Pen - Empower - Conc Effect

Take out Curse on Hit and just curse manually. You can curse during the split phase without issue and you can curse Atziri if you have a removes curses flask (you should) OR you can do what I now do: if you use Storm Call in your 6L, you should have a free 4L. I put in:

Spell Totem - Faster Casting - Ele Weakness

Atziri Gear Changes:

Use Saffell's Frame instead of Rathpith (for the extra res).

Atziri Flask Setup:

Life - Life - Rumi's/Ruby - Ruby - Topaz

Questions & Answers

Q: Geofri's Crest or 5L chest?

A: A Geofri's Crest will be more DPS than a 5L, even with a 3+ empower. Use Geofri's until you can put a 3+ empower in a 6L.

Q: Where do I put my points as I level?

A: I purposefully didn't go into great detail in leveling as it is mostly a preference thing. In general, prioritize life over everything else. After that, get enough mana/mana regen to run arctic armour and cast arc. Finally, you can pick up some of the better DPS nodes as you go by them for life or mana. As with all spells, levels are the greatest thing you can do for your DPS so damage nodes mostly aren't needed while leveling.

Q: Why Elemental Weakness over Conductivity?

A: A 20/20 elemental weakness will actually give us 48% reduced ele res as opposed to a max of 39% with conductivity at lvl 20. This is much better for parties as not everyone will do only lightning damage and the 14% chance to shock at lvl 20 is severe overkill. 45% is more than enough chance to shock already and with any flask up, it goes up to 55%.

Maybe if you are soloing and your chance to shock is low (under 20%ish), conductivity might be better.

User Tips & Tricks

"

As for leveling, I'd say you should go Scion->Templar->Shadow on hardcore, and Templar->Shadow->Scion on softcore.

Got questions or comments? Please don't hesitate to post or pm!
Last edited by Charger29 on Jul 13, 2015, 10:19:12 AM
I have a Crit Arc Witch on Torment, and was planning on doing a non-crit one on bloodlines. That's almost exactly the same tree I planned to do. I guess a non-crit arc doesn't get much better than this.

A Spell Totem + Summn Skeletons probably helps a ton on hardcore. I was also thinking about picking up the Flask nodes and leveling up a Lightning Trap gem, to get extra help vs reflect.
Screenshots added

"
I have a Crit Arc Witch on Torment, and was planning on doing a non-crit one on bloodlines. That's almost exactly the same tree I planned to do. I guess a non-crit arc doesn't get much better than this.

A Spell Totem + Summn Skeletons probably helps a ton on hardcore. I was also thinking about picking up the Flask nodes and leveling up a Lightning Trap gem, to get extra help vs reflect.

Yeah the tree kind of puts itself together almost. There are a few things you could change but the base tree will most likely be very similar.

If you use Geofri's Crest, and 4L Cloak, you would have 2 free slots so you could use skelly brotem. I believe I had Vaal Haste and Detonate Dead (for Necrovigil).
Nice take on a non crit Arc witch

I use Curse on Hit with Warlords Mark as well, perfect for keeping IC up for a long time when you need it.
Have you done Atziri with this build?
"
Have you done Atziri with this build?

No, I have not.

I am planning to give it a shot at some point but it will take some planning and likely some changes (running purity of fire for example). The main problem is that Arc single target just isn't great. I think double Vaal would be fine and the trio would be fine but single target on Atziri might take too long.

I will update the build when I give it a shot with whatever notes I come up with.

"
Rich85 wrote:
Nice take on a non crit Arc witch

I use Curse on Hit with Warlords Mark as well, perfect for keeping IC up for a long time when you need it.

Thanks! Warlords Mark sounds totally reasonable. I haven't needed to yet, but I also carry an efeeble gem to put in place if a map is particularly rippy. It's definitely a good place to customize a bit - there are quite a few good choices.
Last edited by Charger29 on Jan 21, 2015, 8:32:19 PM
Added Q&A section.
I turned my Crit Arc Witch around to this one, with the only difference that I picked more shock chance/duration than you did. I must say the decrease in actual DPS (not tooltip DPS) is lesser than I thought, while gearing this one is WAY easier. I'm yet to find enough ES/mana regen on gear to keep Artic Armor up all the time, but the increase in bulk is already good enough that I could change the Summon Skellies for Arc on my spell totem, so my clear speed barely dropped at all.

As for leveling, I'd say you should go Scion->Templar->Shadow on hardcore, and Templar->Shadow->Scion on softcore. This is actually a pretty great build to follow for beginners.
"
I turned my Crit Arc Witch around to this one, with the only difference that I picked more shock chance/duration than you did. I must say the decrease in actual DPS (not tooltip DPS) is lesser than I thought, while gearing this one is WAY easier. I'm yet to find enough ES/mana regen on gear to keep Artic Armor up all the time, but the increase in bulk is already good enough that I could change the Summon Skellies for Arc on my spell totem, so my clear speed barely dropped at all.

As for leveling, I'd say you should go Scion->Templar->Shadow on hardcore, and Templar->Shadow->Scion on softcore. This is actually a pretty great build to follow for beginners.

Thanks!

I really think non crit is the way to go in HC, especially with the new tree. There is just so much easily accessible lightning and spell damage available it's insane. And while reflect can still be dangerous non crit, I do not worry at all about 1 or 2 shotting myself, even shooting into a large reflect pack. And as you mentioned, the gear is much less restrictive.

If you don't mind, I added your leveling suggestion to the OP under user tips and tricks. In fact, I leveled exactly like that on HC. Went towards the scion wheel, then to templar, then to shadow.
looks solid arc build
are u planning to use pledge ?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info