Devourers, what makes their current state justified?

While I do agree that devourers are poorly designed and remove all player skill from the equation, I'd also like to add that one surefire way to not have to worry about them is to use freeze proliferation. They're really not a threat to my build these days, no matter how ridiculous the mods they spawn with, simply because they never get a chance to hit me.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
Compared to other mob types, devourers are on a whole nother level.

^lol that's hilarious

"
Lyralei wrote:
This may come as a surprise, but carry a Quartz Flask of Adrenaline in lieu of a Quicksilver. During an OH SHIT! moment, you won't have collision with the devourers and thus cannot desynced back into the pack.

It really is a better flask than quicksilver if you have a pair of boots with +MS% on it.

Best advice on devourers. I've been doing this for some time now, if you don't panic it'll work.
Most chars now have a movement skill anyways (I know it's not always faster than a quicksilver, but still) so quartz flasks are quite a practical thing to have. Especially if you like mindlessly rushing through maps like me...
"just for try, for see and for know"
Last edited by komlosi on Feb 9, 2015, 4:30:05 PM
Don't change it!

This reminds me of way back in the day playing Everquest and when you got killed your corpse with all your stuff INCLUDING YOUR LIGHT stayed right there at the feet of the monster that killed you. Then you had to re-memorize spells etc and take the long naked run back to where you died just to get your stuff back. And you lost XP on death too so yeah, that was some big fun there. Yet, somehow people managed to progress through the game. Later on they changed the game a lot. Made travel way faster and made you respawn with all your gear on and spells memorized. They did a bunch of stuff that really made it less frustrating to play the game in general. But it seemed to me that when they removed a lot of the dangers, they also removed the excitement and the challenge. Made it more fun in a way but also made it sort of ho-hum in doing so.

Those damn devos have splatted me a couple times and I hate them as much as the next guy but don't take away the crap that scares the hell out of me! That would take flavor out of the game and would be a bad move IMO. Besides, some people seem to be doing fine and able to handle the devos so I don't think the monsters are completely out of line. I just figure they are one of the hazards of the game and either I need to 1) improve my character, and 2) improve my game playing abilities, or just expect that RIP happens from time to time and get on with it. First thing I'm gonna do is try that flask....
Last edited by rarugren on Feb 9, 2015, 6:28:04 PM

Devourers are in no way a "gear check" for glass cannon builds. If anything they are an check on how good your ISP is.

Today a pack of + dmg blues spawned in one of my maps and I ran around for a while just testing what kind of dmg they can do. Yes you can outrun the pop up but literally one of these things can kill you in seconds. I run around with 10k armor, 4.5k life, max resist, CWDT setup and even Vaal Immortal Call. This thing was taking 75% - 80% of my life at times in 1 shot. As little as 5%-10% on the low end. Just ONE of them. Anything in the game capable of doing that kind of dmg to as well armored of a char as mine should definitely NOT be spawning in packs. Pack spawning or adding large amounts of monsters to the world at once causes lag as it is, on top of that the incredible damage just makes them too much. There is really no excuse as to why these mobs are allowed to do that much burst dmg off a suprise attack.

The way to fix devourers is to make them do bleed damage so you have to blow flasks when they pop up. The outright burst makes you more disappointing when you abandon the map because of bad game design than actually being a challenge. I've tested them with upwards of 18k armor and it does NOT make enough of a difference to save you against more than one.

No one wants to have to depend on running around in a game where it counts hits against you when you aren't even getting hit on your screen. This games communication with the server is completely unreliable for a mechanic like that to be in the game.
They make life interesting.

That's enough justification for me.
Quartz flask might work, but movements skills do NOT work whatsoever. Leap slam is way too slow and lightning warp is probably the most undependable skill in the entire game. First of all 1/3 the time your character won't warp at all and all you'll do is create a storm call attack where you click, thanks to the amazing desync. Second of all even if your warp is maxed with maxed reduced duration, the warp is still not instant, plenty of time to get one-shotted by devourers.
The developers seemed to agree with the imbalance of Devourers. I am very glad to see that this was attended to and adjusted. I am also equally as pleased to see everyone who insulted me directly about even talking about the problem to begin with, has been shown irrefutable proof that they posed issues.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info