Devourers, what makes their current state justified?

"
toyotatundra wrote:
"
Barivius wrote:
How in the hell is a level 78 character dying to Devourers in an unmodified map?

Like, seriously.

I actually quite like we convinced GGG Devourers are the worst monsters in the game. Every time they want to make something hard, they'll now go to Devourers instead of much harder monsters. Win for the players.

It is not really about the difficulty of the devourer's that we discuss. Rather, it is the design of the monster.

You can easily imagine a similar situation in any other game to see it's flaws. Imagine a football game where poles all of a sudden come out of the ground without any announcement of where or when. Or, imagine any platform game where you jump between 2 platforms and in mid air monsters appear from no where and surround you, breaking your jump. All platform games solve this by starting the animation of the monster before you are over them.

Take super mario bro's, for example, where you can go down the green tubes. Some tubes have plants coming out of them but you can see them come out before in order to let you know of it's behavior so you can plan your actions accordingly.

The same goes for all other monster in path of exile. They announce their presence so that you can plan accordingly. Devourer's do not and this is the issue. It is the same issue as monster hitting you from outside the screen. It is effectively cheating.
"
Barivius wrote:
How in the hell is a level 78 character dying to Devourers in an unmodified map?

The same way as a +90 one. Under some circumstances, a pack of champs, or a rare with specific mods, may even get you oneshot.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Jan 27, 2015, 3:54:06 AM
I bet if devourers didnt exist and players could get a dig underground and appear from out of nowhere to 1 shot mobs skill, this thread wouldnt even exist.

Players love to be hypocrites, "omg i cant 1 shot atziri plz halp with itemz" and "QQ devourers 1 shot me, GGG plz nurf or i wont spend any moar moneyz".

"
puviel wrote:
"
toyotatundra wrote:
"
Barivius wrote:

Like, seriously.

I actually quite like we convinced GGG Devourers are the worst monsters in the game. Every time they want to make something hard, they'll now go to Devourers instead of much harder monsters. Win for the players.

It is not really about the difficulty of the devourer's that we discuss. Rather, it is the design of the monster.

You can easily imagine a similar situation in any other game to see it's flaws. Imagine a football game where poles all of a sudden come out of the ground without any announcement of where or when. Or, imagine any platform game where you jump between 2 platforms and in mid air monsters appear from no where and surround you, breaking your jump. All platform games solve this by starting the animation of the monster before you are over them.

Take super mario bro's, for example, where you can go down the green tubes. Some tubes have plants coming out of them but you can see them come out before in order to let you know of it's behavior so you can plan your actions accordingly.

The same goes for all other monster in path of exile. They announce their presence so that you can plan accordingly. Devourer's do not and this is the issue. It is the same issue as monster hitting you from outside the screen. It is effectively cheating.

Win
"
I bet if devourers didnt exist and players could get a dig underground and appear from out of nowhere to 1 shot mobs skill, this thread wouldnt even exist.

Players love to be hypocrites, "omg i cant 1 shot atziri plz halp with itemz" and "QQ devourers 1 shot me, GGG plz nurf or i wont spend any moar moneyz".

Please tell me that you are trolling XD
The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
"
Wispo wrote:
Devourers are the worst shit in this game. I have ripped just 5 minutes ago by them.

Finally Zana has given me Untainted paradise, and i was so happy of the +380% exp and i was proceeding well towards lvl 78 (94% exp). Then all of a sudden, these pieces of crap pop out from nowhere in a perferct circle around me, surronding me in a group of FIVE (4 whites and a yellow one). Their "sure hit" on popping out (they have NOT hitted me with claws i'm sure, it's their resurfacing that hits!!!) is the worst crap i have ever seen in 31 years of video games passion. Smashing flasks buttons like a mad and 3 sec immortal call have saved me once. I runned away like a chicken, hoping to go experiencing in another zone of the isle and achieving level 78 (after this, i would have not minded dying, i swear)..

Well those bastards keeps popping out all at once even if i runned away for miles!!! Again.. SURE HIT, flasks.. immortal call. I didn't stand a chance because their attacks seems unavoidables and, even with 90% crit chance of my ice spear and surgeon flasks, i had not the time to recharge the potions!!

Then i decided, at half HP, to log out. I relog and.. 10% exp equally gone!!! I have not returned to the map, leaving that fantastic exp gaining place, only for those crap devourers!

I am the 1322532298665374904 person who complains about them.. so GGG, don't you think that it's time to rework them?

Cwdt + ic don't work vs devourers. That's why you take heavy damage. You have to activate it manually. It has been tested.
It would be nice to have a post from GGG to comment about this other than people of the community. It seems everyone still is focusing upon the wrong aspects of the thread. Its about the mechanics of the mobs overall design.

It would also be nice if those playing devil's advocate would actually use valid responses. There are so many posts here say "Well you shouldn't have a squishy build" "They're not op, your build is just bad".

I've chalked up the majority of the very obviously confused posts as troll posts. You can believe Devourers are justified if you want, but at the very least the mechanic of them is anti-fun.

"
Barivius wrote:

In my situation it was not a white map, it was a modded Zana map mission. Mobs were about level 72-73 or so.
"
mazul wrote:
"
StumpyJoe wrote:
"
Meridin wrote:
For anyone who thinks Immortal Call and Granite Flasks will save you: http://www.twitch.tv/zenocidegenius/v/3683762

You'll see him die with both Granite and Immortal Call up, so current theory is that devourer damage is calculated before they pop-up. So unless you walk around with your Granite/Immortal on 24/7... rip.

Seems broken to me. No wonder players are turned-off by this game's niche difficulty spikes.

This is basically what it looked like when I died to them the one time I have ever died in HC.

I guess the counter play is to be immune to physical damage for the whole map.

The counter play is to identify what monster types exist on the map, then if you have deduced that devourers exists on the map, you use scouts like decoy totem to lure them out.

Totem's don't lure Devourers out. I tested it, placed a totem directly on top of a spawn point and they did not pop up. Only going there physically with your own character forces them out.

"

Exactly. Devourers basically remove the skill factor from the game. There is no way to mitigate their damage if you add the d-sync factor to the equation. You can and will take the full damage, even while running. Granite flask and IC setups don't work because their damage is calculated the instance they pop up (which negates IC's physical damage negation).

The solutions are there, some posters have pointed them out and I really like them:
A visual effect on where they pop up, some rumbling earth a second before they emerge or simple little piles of dirt above their ground location would help.
Last edited by Tanit on Feb 9, 2015, 6:41:27 AM
Walked into an untainted paradise map. 4-5 devourers spawned. I ran through them to avoid the initial attacks and a line of devourers(mind you there had to be over 15 devourers at LEAST) but this line followed me 2 and a half screen of constant non-stop devourers coming out of the ground to kill me and eventually cornered my run path surrounded by devourers. PLEASE FIX
"
firenotes12 wrote:
Walked into an untainted paradise map. 4-5 devourers spawned. I ran through them to avoid the initial attacks and a line of devourers(mind you there had to be over 15 devourers at LEAST) but this line followed me 2 and a half screen of constant non-stop devourers coming out of the ground to kill me and eventually cornered my run path surrounded by devourers. PLEASE FIX

Nothing to fix there but your build/playstyle. Run faster or kill/stun them, I do this and can't remember the last time I died to devos no matter the mods.
Huh?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info