Kickstarter Campaign for PoE's Optional Self Found League!

"

You know what they say:

When in Rome, fuck with abandon and enjoy the bloodsport.

I really need to go to Rome
I must have missed all the fucking. Where's the red-light district in Sarn?
"
Zahndethus wrote:
I must have missed all the fucking. Where's the red-light district in Sarn?

that shady back alley in the marketplace that leads to the brothel
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
I personally have no strong feelings about a SFL, but I can tell you why it probably won't happen. Trading boosts player interaction. Player interaction boosts retention. Finally, retention boosts revenue. Even more simply put, players in a self-found game of this type tend (as a whole) to get bored and quit. A player who quits isn't buying anything from the shop.

Yes, there are certainly people who would play SF for ages, but there's plenty more who think they like the idea, but get bored after trying it for a while. On the whole, I suspect a SFL would probably be a revenue loss for GGG.

Personally, I'd like GGG to thrive, so I think it's a bad idea, but I'm not worried, as I'm sure they're fully aware of the stats.
"
TheBagman wrote:
I personally have no strong feelings about a SFL, but I can tell you why it probably won't happen. Trading boosts player interaction. Player interaction boosts retention. Finally, retention boosts revenue. Even more simply put, players in a self-found game of this type tend (as a whole) to get bored and quit. A player who quits isn't buying anything from the shop.

Yes, there are certainly people who would play SF for ages, but there's plenty more who think they like the idea, but get bored after trying it for a while. On the whole, I suspect a SFL would probably be a revenue loss for GGG.

Personally, I'd like GGG to thrive, so I think it's a bad idea, but I'm not worried, as I'm sure they're fully aware of the stats.

Question for you. Have you traded at all during your time with the game?
Another question:
If there is an optional SFL, who stops the players who tried it and found it worse to go back to Standard/ HC/ Challenge Leagues?

Zahn, they removed the redlight district from the City of Sarn. It wasn't always there, but sometimes you found that red glowing entrance. It even has a heart as the symbol of love above it.
However, I found that upon entering you first had to deal with annoying and ugly creatures and then at the reception, that bitch called Rima always seemed to have had a bad day and threw all kinds of crap at me.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
"
kolp wrote:

I remember the golden age of PoE (imho). Closed beta was great, but I really enjoyed open beta. That was my favorite period of gameplay personally. As the years have gone on, I have noticed that the "game" now for me is more of a labor of love.

These arguments tend to be easily identified as Rosy Retrospection or Nostalgic Bias (for those that basically quote others but did not actually experience it).

RE: OP

The problem with beating a dead horse more is that making the same counter-arguments over and over again is boring...very very boring. So the arguments and counter-arguments tend to be distilled down to the most simple things that can be put in writing without wanting to claw your eyes out.

The persistence of this debate is almost hoping to outlast or even wear down opponents to the idea; especially GGG. There are very few arguments that actually persuade GGG to do it because the proponents of the effort eventually are distilled to "why not?".

You base argument contains straw-man arguments, possibly hoping people don't verify/examine what you've said. The 150 page thread you reference is filled with counter-arguments and a lot of what can equate to 'down votes' and requires a constant bump to try to remain relevant. Your statement was posed in a manner that implies it was a strong consensus for it...which it was not. Furthermore, the poll presented as empirical evidence is anything but that. The respondents to those types of polls tend to heavily bias towards supporters since they will go out of their way to vote whereas others will view it as a hassle (not to mention how easily manipulated online polling is -- a unique IP address is not a strong enough A&A).

TL/DR: I don't care.
SFL? or no SFL.

Well, I'm not playing solo offline rpgs, I haven't touched Sacred, Sacred 2, Torchlight, Torchlight 2, Diablo, Diablo 2, Diablo 3, Titan Quest, Van Helsin, Van Helsing 2; and their respective expansions for the past 3 years since starting this game. Whether online or offline, those games are pretty much self found.

I can't speak for other people here, but I rarely dip my toes into trading, but only then to optimise my build, and I for one am glad that the choice is there, otherwise I'm 99.9% self found. As a causal player, trading like this damn right saves me time.

POE is built for players like me.

Plenty of self found rpgs I listed above if you don't like what POE has to offer.
POE is a constantly evolving game, so expect balance changes, buffs and nerfs STILL!
Why don't HC players just play SC but delete their characters if they die? I mean, why fragment the player base n' all when they can just play HC in standard?
IGN: WeenieHuttSenior
US East
"
Caustic2 wrote:
Why don't HC players just play SC but delete their characters if they die? I mean, why fragment the player base n' all when they can just play HC in standard?

Put on your leather jackets and board shorts, boys, we're going shark jumping!

== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info