Mechanics thread

"
soul4hdwn wrote:
freeze pulse (the mage squid, think i'm wrong on this one).
You are, yes. There are currently no monsters that use freezing pulse. The spell cast by the sirens does not work like Freezing Pules - it doesn't have the damage dropoff over time, or the additional chance to freeze at the start, and until 0.9.13 it didn't pierce (we changed it because spectres of them which could fork/chain it were crazy and we felt that interaction to be unintuitive)
and this is why i struggle to keep updated, seems i'm steadily getting more and more wrong XD. thank you for the explanation.
Some questions i have about Infernal Blow and Burning Mechanincs if some1 could break this down for me it would be awsome.

In Mechanics Thread i read that burn dmg = 1/3 of the initial fire dmg dealt each second so 4/3 of the initial fire dmg in total.

Now my question is , lets say i have IB with Chance to ignite and Elemental Proliferation
i assume that i have 2 chances to ignite everything around me , first with IB hit and second with explosion.
So is the burn dmg the same for both situations ? or will it be 4/3 of the IB fire dmg when it triggers with a hit and 4/3 of fire dmg dealt with explosion when it triggers with an explosion ( meaning it will be 4/3 of 20% of killed monsters hp +any modifiers ofc).

And last question what happens if monster is already burning and he gets another burn for less dmg? does it overwrite or stack or just reset the duration on first burn ? If the burn from initial IB hit and from Explosion are 2 different burns and deal different dmg , what happens if i first trigger the hit burn and than the explosion burn ?
burn damage rate is the same unless you get buffs via quality gems or uniques or passives (burn damage and burn duration).

burning's actual damage depends on the fire damage hit that caused it. so yes infernal blow has two chances to spread burning via elemental proliferation, once for the melee hit(s) and again for the explosion on kill.

*4/3 damage and time is the base duration and damage of burning
triggering burn on the explosion however is likely stronger than the melee hit's burning. the fire damage that caused the burning is the factor.

if there are multiple DoT effects of same type, the strongest will still take full effect while the weakest will finish whatever leftover time it had if it was alone starting at when the first effect is done.
so in another way to explain, foe gets hit by two burnings, one for 20 dmg/sec and another of 10dmg/sec but 1 second later. the 20 dmg/sec lasts the full 4 seconds while the 10dmg/sec lasts 1 second after the first one. the two effects overlap, with stronger one "working" at a given moment.

edit: in specific case of IB, if both the on-hit and the explosion cause burning, both burnings will be working but only strongest will "win" as both are same duration and start. except the foes hit with the explosion can move still so elemental proliferation will be somewhat more effective then.
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Nov 13, 2012, 8:51:44 AM
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
burn damage rate is the same unless you get buffs via quality gems or uniques or passives (burn damage and burn duration).

burning's actual damage depends on the fire damage hit that caused it. so yes infernal blow has two chances to spread burning via elemental proliferation, once for the melee hit(s) and again for the explosion on kill.

*4/3 damage and time is the base duration and damage of burning
triggering burn on the explosion however is likely stronger than the melee hit's burning. the fire damage that caused the burning is the factor.

if there are multiple DoT effects of same type, the strongest will still take full effect while the weakest will finish whatever leftover time it had if it was alone starting at when the first effect is done.
so in another way to explain, foe gets hit by two burnings, one for 20 dmg/sec and another of 10dmg/sec but 1 second later. the 20 dmg/sec lasts the full 4 seconds while the 10dmg/sec lasts 1 second after the first one. the two effects overlap, with stronger one "working" at a given moment.

edit: in specific case of IB, if both the on-hit and the explosion cause burning, both burnings will be working but only strongest will "win" as both are same duration and start. except the foes hit with the explosion can move still so elemental proliferation will be somewhat more effective then.

Your explanation seems to suggest that instances of burning are concurrent. We learn in this thread that instances of burning actually queue up. In your example, we would actually see eight seconds of burning: the original hit would begin burning at 5 fire/second for four seconds and the second hit would queue up another instance of burning at 2.5 fire/second for four seconds that would be applied after the remaining three seconds of 5 fire/second damage is applied.

Technically speaking, in the example, there would be at least three chances for burning: the initial IB attack would have a chance to cause burning with a critical hit chance and then again for the Chance to Ignite support gem (as they are treated as separate chances). Then the explosion would have a turn, which is at least one chance from critical strike. If Chance to Ignite applies to the explosion, it would have two chances as well: a chance to cause burning with a critical strike based on the IB base critical strike of 7% and then another chance to cause burning with the Chance to Ignite support gem. However, I am not sure if the Chance to Ignite condition applies to the IB explosion. If it does, the chance for burning is determined for each target in range of the explosion, as opposed to the critical strike chance to cause burning, which is checked only once for all targets in range of the explosion.
"
Life/mana per level
All classes begin with the same base stats, and gain the same amount per level:

50 life, +6 per level
40 mana, +4 per level
50 evasion, +3 per level (including level 1)

The Mechanic thread original post mentionned that each level, we get 6 life, 4 mana and 3 evasion.

However, while leveling my new character, I also notice that we get 2 accuracy per level. Is that new ? Shouldn't it be added to the original post ?

Thanks
Shadow : Covenant Pulser (504561)
Ranger : 12 charges Frenzy Archer (65154), Dual Claws Elemental ST (709126)
Witch : Self-Cast Arc Tanky Witch (770185), AoF EK/Bear trap (863970)
Templar : Frenzy + AB/Fireball "Cast on Crit" Wander (611200)
Marauder : Death Oath Staff User (498864)
The intuitive interpetation of effects for chilling and freezing is that both happen and they count down concurrently or they queue. However, if that were the case, the Breath of Rime passive skill would be useless. So, in consideration of that, I have some questions about freezing and chilling, broken down by scenario:

Target has no status ailments:
- Critical strike is achieved with sufficient cold damage to generate chill and freeze. Does freeze always supercede chilling?? If so, is the chill effect thrown out??

Target is chilled:
- Critical strike is achieved with enough cold damage to generate sufficient chill duration but freeze duration is not enough to be expressed. Is the current chill over-written automatically, is the chill duration from the new attack appended to the existing chill duration or is the superior chill effect (remaining duration versus new duration) applied (or is it some other situation)??
- Critical strike is achieved with sufficient cold damage to generate chill and freeze. Is the target automatically frozen?? If so, is the chill over-written and gone, even if the duration would have outlived the current freeze??

Target is frozen:
- Critical strike is achieved with sufficient cold damage to generate chill and freeze. Is the current freeze over-written automatically, is the freeze duration from the new attack appended to the existing freeze duration or is the superior freeze effect (remaining duration versus new duration) applied (or is it some other situation)??

edit: format, spelling
Last edited by Ladderjack on Nov 13, 2012, 11:59:55 AM
"
Ladderjack wrote:

Your explanation seems to suggest that instances of burning are concurrent. We learn in this thread that instances of burning actually queue up.

I don't see where you're getting this queuing behavior. Quoting mark directly:

"
Mark_GGG wrote:

Burn: All burns remain on an entity for their full duration, but at any given time, only the highest-damage burn is in effect, the others are dormant.

This doesn't tell me that applying a larger burn pauses the timer for all other burns. That'd need testing, though. I could see it working either way. Easy to test: drink a diamond flask and fire at a rare mob; get 3 crits, count how long the burn lasts after your final crit. If it's 4 seconds, the burns are concurrent. If it's 12 seconds, the burns queue.

My money is on concurrent.

Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on Nov 13, 2012, 12:06:34 PM
"
Zakaluka wrote:
I don't see where you're getting this queuing behavior. Quoting mark directly:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Burn: All burns remain on an entity for their full duration, but at any given time, only the highest-damage burn is in effect, the others are dormant.

My money is on concurrent.

I'm getting it from the next line of Mark's reply, quoted below in its entirety and formatted for clarity.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Burn: All burns remain on an entity for their full duration, but at any given time, only the highest-damage burn is in effect, the others are dormant. When the highest-damage burn runs out, the next highest takes over until it's duration runs out. This ensures that you can't overwrite a big burn with a little one, but the little one will still be there and do damage after the big one ends.
Still don't get your interpretation from that statement. OK, rather than arguing about this further, I've done the test I explained and uploaded a video.

here

Drank a diamond flask, shot BA a few times. Two shots in a row crit, second occurs at 0:02. Burn expires at 0:06. If the burns queued, it'd expire at 0:09.

That video will take another 10 mins or so to finish uploading. Standard 1.5 mbit DSL and all that.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on Nov 13, 2012, 1:14:25 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info