Mechanics thread

"
faerwin wrote:
Let's say that you use those new unique glvoes that convert physical damage to frost damage and you also have avatar of fire, which one takes precedence and can it exceed 100% damage converted?
Avatar of Fire actually converts all unconverted physical damage. It lets set-amount conversions take some of the damage and then converts the rest to fire.

"
faerwin wrote:
Now, using the same gloves, if I use a support gem that convert frost damage to fire damage, do I get bonuses from "increase weapon elemental damage" twice (one on the cold damage increase, and once more on the portion that's converted to fire damage)?
No. You can't get the same bonus twice on the same value. You'll only get the benefit of increased elemental damage once.
"
RabidRabbit wrote:
Anyone know what the base recovery rate for leeched mana is?
750% of maximum mana per minute (12.5% per second).
life leech has a higher rate than mana leech, 1200% per minute.
"
dolpiff wrote:
it states " X % increased mana leech rate", where X is gem quality.

how is that amount multiplied/added to the 750% ?
It increases that value by X%.
If you had 10% increased mana leech rate, it would increase to 750 + 75 = 825% of maximum mana per minute.
"
dolpiff wrote:
What is the maximum % damage reduction incurred for the keystone Point blank archer when hitting far away targets?
100% less damage (i.e. you do no damage).
This only occurs at the furthest-out point that it's possible for an arrow to hit (you can shoot things at this distance sometimes in the upper corners, but other than that it's off screen somewhere.
"
faerwin wrote:
how does the formula for armour against strong hits works with reflected physical damage?
The obvious way? Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding the question.
You cause reflection, the amount of damage to reflect back is calculated, and then your physical reduction for that hit is calculated exactly as if a monster had just hit you for that much.
I'm not sure how else it could work.
"
faerwin wrote:
It could work off the initial damage before the reflection :P

Reflected damage often creates special conditions in other games so I was asking if it was the case with PoE.
nope, it does exactly the same calculation as though a monster had hit you for that much. Since monsters reflect only 50% of your damage back, and that's capped at 25% or less of you max life + ES, this value may well be small enough compared to actual monster damage that armour (which has more effect on smaller hits) is quite good against reflected damage, but I don't really know how the balance lines up on that point.

If you want a special case, physical damage over time, on the other hand, is currently unaffected by armour. Because it's dealt in tiny quantities every few milliseconds and applying armour to that would completely negate it - this is likely to change when we have a nicer solution.
Just a heads-up Malice that the stuff we were talking about back on page 15/16 or so about local mods went through with 0.9.7c

Local % increase modifiers to:
attack speed
critical strike chance
critical strike multiplier
accuracy

on weapons now all apply multiplicatively - effectively increasing the "base" value of the weapon. This brings them in line with all other local mods (damage on weapons already did this, and armour % increases have always been this way).

It should still be the case that non-local versions of these can't spawn on weapons - basically if a mod comes in local and non-local versions, then only the local version is available on the item type which could use a local version (i.e. which has some of the thing being increased inherently), and the non-local version can only spawn on other items.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the exception: non-local crit multiplier increase cannot spawn on weapons as a magic/rare mod, but is the implicit mod for thrusting swords. non-local crit chance increase cannot sapwn on weapons as a magic/rare mod, but is the implicit mod on daggers.
"
Xapti wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

Local % increase modifiers to:
attack speed
critical strike chance
critical strike multiplier
accuracy

on weapons now all apply multiplicatively - effectively increasing the "base" value of the weapon. This brings them in line with all other local mods (damage on weapons already did this, and armour % increases have always been this way).
Something seemed messed up with this patch.

Best example i can give is a sword that says it has 1.48 attacks per second gives me 1.45 attacks per second on the char sheet when I equip it (even though I have at least 19% attack speed bonuses).

Other weapons have been weird too. Before the patch I had one that was 1.44 per second on my char sheet, now it's 1.33 — I could kinda see it being possible to go down since the attack speed values were lowered, but would have to be a pretty big change for it to be that much lower.
Yes this was bugged for attack speed. Fixing now. Critical Strike multiplier may also be bugged the same way.

Fixed for a future patch.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Mar 21, 2012, 9:49:25 PM
"
Xapti wrote:
"
Experience is now only shared with other players who are near you (roughly two screens). Monsters are still made harder by players elsewhere on the level.

Does this mean if you have multiple players and they aren't nearby you'll get all the extra EXP? I can only assume this, but you never know.

Or will you be fighting extra-hard monsters with no extra exp? (which doesn't really make any sense)
Not at work so can't check, but since the extra XP and the other stat increases monsters get for having multiple players are all applied together as one buff on the monster, it seems very likely that the bonus exp is still awarded.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info