[2.0] The Original Chaos/Physical 2H-Axe BM Cyclone | All mapmods | MF-able | AoE Focus |

Introduction

I present to you, one of the most simple and well rounded, yet tanky and at the same time super efficient builds around. A Cyclone build that focuses on having a large aoe, a build that reminds me of playing Whirlwind in Diablo 2, only better.

With 2.0 a new weakness has been reintroduced to builds dealing physical damage, and that is reflect, since they made Enduring Cry unsuable with CWDT. So with that one new threat was also introduced to this build, however overall, in 2.0 this build took a heavy boost in particular in survivability with both gaining more health and gaining fortify on top of that.

Strengths:
- Very Efficient, Fast Clearspeeds
- Very Tanky, Huge Life with Leech and High Regeneration
- Does not lag
- Can use MF gear without issues

Weaknesses:
- Physical reflect can be dangerous now(see final section for how to handle)
- Party elemental auras like hatred + map elemental reflect

Unusual features:
- No Auras
- Blood Magic Passive
- Resolute Technique
- High Chaos Damage
- A focus on increasing the AoE of Cyclone

Medium to high damage build, efficiently applying to a large area. Very tanky, has high regen and leech. Uses only cyclone and lightning warp, rest is automated. Takes me around 7min to do a full apex of sacrifice (normal atziri and rest of map). Easiest of all characters i ever did Normal Atziri with.

Videos:
I've uploaded some vidoes to showcase the build in hard content, most of them have some of the harder mods this build can face. Regular maps get cleaved just like the Gorge run below. I apologize for the rather bad video quality.

These are all Pre 2.0 vidoes, and i will upload some 2.0 videos later.

Apex of Sacrifice full run
Gorge Run 2min 5sec (not really legit coz im using headhunter)
Parts of some Courtyard maps
Dry peninsula with no regen in MF gear
Nasty Shipyard in MF gear
Group plateau double reflect + hatred
The map that was too much(coz party hatred)

Character & Build

This(link) is my current passive skill tree level 94.

Overall this is a pretty generic marauder build, optimized around my own gear. You may need to pick more/less attributes, resist or similar to match your gear. You can also use pretty much any weapon you want while leveling, the build is very straight forward.

There can also be discussion as to which jewel nodes to get. I recommend at least 3 jewel nodes, and if you have the jewels to support it, then take up to 5 jewel nodes.

Leveling advice:
First of all, there isn't any trick to leveling this type of build, pretty much it's just about taking hp and damage nodes, and for that reason there is no need for any advanced advice.

Personally, i like to rush directly to Blood magic(so relaxing to play with and now also has some huge hp nodes), and then into duelist for master of the arena. You will also find life on hit can be a very beneficial gem while leveling.

Gearing

This is a build that works at all gear levels, from your first character to the one who has the gear i run or even more. This is because it doesn't require anything before it works, the better your gear gets the more hp, resists, damage and aoe you get, and that is all.

Before 2.0 i also used to run mostly in Item Rarity/quantity gear, but i enjoy the game more when i run in power gear, so i stopped that. However, this build was made to be used to MF also, and still works with MF gear.

Recommended items:

Luxury Items:
If you get rich there are a few luxury items that work really well with this build. I use these two below, and they give me an extra level of power, efficiency and safety.

Jewels:
Jewels can be very powerful, and that is why i take all 4 jewel sockets that require 2 passives to get. You could also take one of the 3 point jewel sockets, the one between marauder and duelist giving 2x4% increased melee physical damage.

Jewels can serve a lot of different purposes. They can give you the last resist you need, they can increase your life or they can simply give you damage. At the moment i use a jewel to get the chaos resistance i need, and the rest i use for damage.

My current jewels:

Note that none of these except warlords are what i ideally want. Ultimately you want to replace malicious intent with jewels that have up to 8% life + 3 dps affixes. Each dps affix can give up to 16% increased damage or 8% increased attack speed. However, those jewels can be very hard/expensive to acquire, so i haven't gotten them yet.

My current gear:
Regular Gear

18.200 dps, usually is 22-32k in combat.
9.440 Life.

My Rarity/Quantity Gear

My rarity/quantity gear is broken since 2.0 because i optimized for the new build i will try to explain anyway.

As for what gems i would use in cyclone it would be:

And then, depending on situation

There is also a problem of resists atm in my mf, i lack some cold resist and a few fire. I would grab the 4% hp 3% all resist node outside marauder, i would take the 12% cold instead of 12% lightning when leaving marauder. Then i would take a jewel with 10% all resist, that just exactly caps me in this gear.
Also as you can see, in my head i've wrong links. It is supposed to be a broken link with lightning warp/reduced duration linked, then cast when damage taken lightning with enduring cry.
Anyways, with what you see above i have
130% increased Item quantity
165% increased Item Rarity
10.155 Life
9.170 dps when using melee phys. Sounds very little, but as you can see in pre 2.0 vidoes(using only 7.1k dps), that still clears easily. In groups you are there to cull with mf anyway, so it's just solo dps that matters.

Gems

Linking your cyclone:
This is your 6L is order of what is more important(generally):

Here is the 6L Rarity/Quantity gem setup(for standard):

+depending on situation(and for non-standard pick two)

I sometimes swap this gem instead of melee phys against reflect maps

Other useful gem setups:
There are some other gem setups that i find good to run, but they are not essential and other players like running different gems, these are mine:

CWDT with Immortal Call and Bloodrage. Gives some phys reduction and makes bloodrage automatic.

Vengeance with Life Gain on Hit, Life Leech and Blind. I find this helps surviveability.

Lightning Warp with Less Duration. For moving across obstacles, escaping when disabled, etc.

Enfeeble on CWDT. Gives you more damage reduction.

Physical Reflect is still killing me, what can i do?

There are quite a few things you can do against few reflect, luckily. These below should be adequate to protect you.

Replace Melee Physical Damage with

Equip up to two granites(i get 15k armour with granite up)

Use Malicious Intent instead of rare jewels.

Besides from that, get HP and prioritize it in your build. Even a kaoms 500 is a good item, even though often underestimated.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Jul 22, 2015, 12:03:54 PM
If there's an unarmed range jewel and all kinds of other jewels, there will surely be a +2 range as well.

I didn't really go over the new skill tree much but I am relieved that we even get a damage increase, can't wait to get my hands on a Atziri Disfavour and ming's heart to try out the current damage.

Thanks again for the build it's giving me an awesome time!
over all still you would do much more damage if you use hatred + HoA and drop BM note ... :)
There's a huge list of big and small downsides to removing blood magic passive, overall amounts to a less powerful build even if you could push 10%+ more damage.

- Much less life 13%+ of your total life (losing blood magic cluster)
- Weakness to ele reflect maps (now you do lots of ele damage and you cannot stop its reflect) (a big reason you will want to keep life on hit still
- opened weakness to phys reflect maps and reflect in general (have to remove an entire cwdt immortal call increased duration chain)
- less effective in blood magic maps(minor but still downside)
- much less uptime on amulet buffs (not huge bbut equivalent of maybe 1-2 dps nodes)
- lose lightning warp for saving time (major downside)
- hit harder by -regen maps(less regen, higher skill costs, lower life to scale regen, less amulet uptime)
- equivalent of losing several %regen nodes due to cyclone higher costs
- won't reap additional benefits from party hatred(one of the most common auras) (solo dies like nothing anyway)

- gain 5 passive points (from losing blood magic cluster)

Let's look into how much physical we have added as chaos damage in the build. We have 40% from 2 mings, then we have unholy might for 30%(we may see 60-80% uptime on it, so lets assume its another 20% on average).

That means already we have 60% of physical added as chaos, something elemental scaling will not help with. On top of that we can get another 25% from Atziri's flask, but since that also gives 15% of your elemental, then let's ignore that.

It means increases to base physical dmage are worth 1.6 times as much as damage converted to elemental.

In additiona to above points choose one:

Remove concentrated effect for blood magic gem:
- gain 25% increased area of effect (very nice)
- lose damage (even before considering lost chaos conversion), which results in lose a lot of damage (concentrated effect is just too good so we accept the lost area)
- a lot less leech since less physical damage

As you can see that won't make sense.

Assuming you wouldn't want life on hit gem and instead were using faster attacks. Then replace that faster attacks with blood magic gem:
- Finally we see a damage increase. I can't know exactly how high since it is hard to determine the value of attack speed vs movement speed for cyclone.
- removed the instant leech of life on hit
- less leech since less physical damage

That can make sense. I personally would not want all those weaknesses just for an added 10-25% damage.

Remove Increased area of effect or enhance for Blood magic gem:
- Were moving away from the strengths of this build you can find many posts above explaining why area is king

We already sacrifice more area than i am happy with by going concentrated effect. If you want that route you can remove enhance and increased area for blood magic and hypothermia to pick up hatred and Probably then you should start changing the build into crit, and maybe go swords, remove amulet for a crit amulet, remove life nodes for damage and crit nodes. It's for a different build. This is for the most faceroll immortal build, it's not for tooltip dps scaling, it is for the best gameplay.

All in all:

You'd be reducing your life pool,
Opening up weaknesses to various map mods
Remove lots of your leech
Straying from the immortal path in order to gain more damage that you don't need.

This build is uber power i could sail all the way to 100 without even trying to be a bit careful with it (when i have my op gear), and the clear times are already super great as they are. If it aint broken, don't fix it by introducing lots of weaknesses for an arbitrary gain in clearspeed.

Also, monster damage will be more of a threat in 2.0 with current beta balance so it is worth staying super tanky.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Jun 10, 2015, 11:40:43 AM
great response ty.

Question regarding Unholy Might -> you dont use Vis Mortis or Shadows and Dust so how you get it? (http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Unholy_Might)
There is a new jewel that gives a chance to proc it on kill.
Could you explain me why you use this belt? What makes it so effective here? Personally I would go for a Doryani Invitation but Im not really much experienced in creating builds so I am probably be wrong.
Headhunter? It's the best belt in the game.

When you kill rare monsters you steal their buffs for 20 seconds. Thats Huge. Speed bonuses, life bonuses, many times of extra damage bonuses, etc etc. Your size grows with some of the buffs you can get.

Most of the time you have at last 1 buff up, usually 2-3 is normal and sometimes even more. When you can take this belt in a build you always should, it's insanely overpowered.
My current build.

Ran aztiri flawless pretty easily actually, 78 maps still easy as well i opt out of doing any phy reflect mods since its just so slow and not worth it imo

The current gems in my gear is just for leveling them and saleing purposes, besides the CWDT

Could prolly use some upgrades on my rares.

What other gems do u suggest for my gloves or helmet?
Can no longer see the skill tree, care to update it?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info