Did you remove /oos or fix desync?

"
Damien_GGG wrote:
One of the first things people should understand about desync is that it is NOT a bug - it's a term for the completely natural phenomenon of the client (your game on your PC) getting out of sync with the server. This means ALL online games have to deal with the issue in one of the various ways they may choose to do so.

Complete bullsh*t! Only crap software has to deal with it.

"
Damien_GGG wrote:
Many of those upset about the desync issue point out that they play other online games that don't behave in the same way. Please note, these games DO have to deal with desync as well, but some of them a) have a gameplay model that mitigates the desync issue or b) have efficiencies of code that we will also be working on as soon as we can focus our primary resource on it.

Nope, people just make synced games, and deal with latancy issues, which are most times easily dealt with, not desyncs.
"
idarktemplar wrote:

No, he's right. There's inherent latency on any data transfer, so you have to deliberately have a syncing scheme. What you call a "latency issue" is a subset of what he calls a desync issue, because that's what it is: you're out of sync due to latency.
"
idarktemplar wrote:
"
Damien_GGG wrote:
One of the first things people should understand about desync is that it is NOT a bug - it's a term for the completely natural phenomenon of the client (your game on your PC) getting out of sync with the server. This means ALL online games have to deal with the issue in one of the various ways they may choose to do so.

Every single multiplayer game I have played has had either desync issues or 'lag'/stutter/slowdown issues at one point or another, it's simply a matter of degrees.
"
genericacc wrote:
"
Damien_GGG wrote:

We've opted for one approach to maintaining sync for what we believe are good reasons given our gameplay model and specific requirements (we want you to miss sometimes...) There are other options open to us but there are many considerations to weigh up. Without going into the detail (because I'll leave it to Chris and also because I just don't know it!) one of the various options open to us will result in more rubberbanding, quicker, and could very likely lead to an increase in complaints even though the game is technically 'more in sync'.

One of the better known ARPGs out there deals with desync in a way that we believe contributes to the lack of challenge in the game (you pretty much ALWAYS hit). We want to deal with desync in a way that does not compromise our dedication to making Path of Exile a challenging game for gamers and this is not as easy as it may seem.

3) They will not implement aggressive compensation, ever, because you should miss due to desync issues.

That's a complete non sequitur. The take-away from Damien's post, in my reading, is that simpler gameplay in 'other games' makes it much easier to keep things in sync cheaply, and the design goals of PoE mean they have to do things differently, which is making the sync issues more egregious. That has nothing to do with desyncs being an intentional part of the hit mechanics, or expecting the player to be able to intuit when they are or aren't in sync.

This is a big enough issue in the game already without inventing developer insanity to complain about.
Thank you guys for the response..

I think you know what's best for the community and telling it like it is is a Gem within itself..

Keep on rocking..

Damien keep pumping the MT stuff out :)
If there is a Hell! I'll see you there!
"
EatThePath wrote:

That's a complete non sequitur. The take-away from Damien's post, in my reading, is that simpler gameplay in 'other games' makes it much easier to keep things in sync cheaply, and the design goals of PoE mean they have to do things differently, which is making the sync issues more egregious. That has nothing to do with desyncs being an intentional part of the hit mechanics, or expecting the player to be able to intuit when they are or aren't in sync.

This is a big enough issue in the game already without inventing developer insanity to complain about.

What simpler gameplay? You desync in this game using Leap Slam if you get unlucky. That skill was in Diablo 2 also, aptly called Leap Attack. It's in Diablo 3, too, called Leap. It doesn't make you desync in either of those games. This is disregarding that I've had sync issues from doing inconceivable actions, like trying to fight near walls. I therefore choose to believe that the developer is insane and is talking about the syncing scheme rather than trying really hard to believe that the developer has never played the game this is, essentially, an improved clone of.

Also, it's fairly easy to intuit that you're not in sync right now. Tipoffs may include invisible mobs and visible mobs that aren't really there. You just can't do much about it anymore, because they removed /oos.
"
genericacc wrote:
I therefore choose to believe that the developer is insane and is talking about the syncing scheme rather than trying really hard to believe that the developer has never played the game this is, essentially, an improved clone of.

Again does not follow. The fact that they have played those games and know that it can be done well does not automatically mean they can make their game do just as well instantly. Those games had their own networking schemes, quite possibly entirely different ones, that surely took development time to get working. GGG has time and again acknowledged that their current system is not working as well as it needs to. Hopefully they will fix the problems, maybe they won't. Badgering them endlessly about a problem they've repeatedly talked about isn't very helpful to anyone, though.
"
genericacc wrote:
Alternatively, the GGG apologetics squadron can attempt to explain why GGG put in high-movespeed mobs...

I assume the GGG apologetics squadron, as you call them, are the community members who treat us like humans - like other players and other members of the community - and take our words as they're intended rather than twisting them to make a point.

There are always going to be people who twist words and invent motives in order to either troll or because they're upset and feel they need to take it out on either the devs or the community - generally, we tend to ignore those posts because engaging with them does not progress the discussion.

However, @genericacc: you're reading too much into what I said - or I guess just making it up for your amusement - so for those who may be confused, coming in late, etc. - as AzraelX and EatThePath pointed out, I never said the desync was intentional. I also said I'm not the person to go into the greater detail on the issue - that's coming soon. Dissecting my off-the-cuff post and extrapolating mechanics detail from it is not sensible.

(I have actually played Diablo 2 and 3 - Path of Exile was not made by Blizzard so the way the game works is very different - comparisons at a core level won't help you.)

To those who are upset about this issue - if you want to vent, by all means do - we'll leave you alone to do so. But if you want to actually engage in a conversation with us - real live human beings, just like you - then please do; talk directly to us rather than trying to bait us into discussion by rubbishing the game with non-constructive posts or trashing our statements on the forum because when you do that, we can only assume you're trolling or too upset to engage in a civil conversation so we avoid responding.

Edit: rather than ending on the negative lol: we WANT to talk to you - just let us know you're serious and if the answer hasn't been given repeatedly elsewhere and isn't going to take a tome to explain, the right person will respond as and when they can (warning: the team is a little busy atm so trickier responses will take longer!)
Last edited by Damien_GGG on Feb 8, 2013, 12:24:57 PM
"
Necx wrote:
Damien keep pumping the MT stuff out :)

Will do... and man, you sound like my boss hahaha - it's 6am and I've been here all day and night Necx - hope you can hold on a bit longer! ; )
Go download League of Legends. While you're doing that, start up a torrent of some kind. Install the game and check your ping. If you're at 250-300 ms, great. Okay, start playing.

What's that? Your actions are all delayed by 1 to 2 seconds? That's a combination of input lag and latency-coding. In LoL, you are not allowed to move until the server says you can. In Path of Exile, you can move before the server says you can. How this works, is the server keeps you in sync after the fact. This means Path of Exile is playable (there's no sluggish responsiveness) at 300ms++. As you play, more or less rubberbanding will occur depending upon your connection quality. In LoL, the game is nigh-unplayable at 150+ ms. You need a high-speed relation with the server to have constant feedback and movement. The pay off? In LoL, you're ALWAYS sync'd, you're ALWAYS where your client shows you are. In POE, you're off by some small margin most of the time, and ocassionally off by a large margin which needs to be corrected immediately.

This is how the architecture differs and there are obvious design goals for each kind of architecture.

Feedback is useful even if it's hostile, but I agree, don't expect to get any answer if you're going to be a child about things. You have not the slightest clue how a game like this is programmed and thus your opinion how such things should be done is irrelevant. Go find another game if you can't understand what that means. The developers don't need the badgering. All throughout CB they were responsive and capable of solving problems in time.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Feb 8, 2013, 12:21:38 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info