Did you remove /oos or fix desync?

Yesterday I died the first time due to desync (HC, lvl 62). I've been always super careful about it, always playing defensively with desync in mind (backtracking to a safe area, "preemptively" drinking potions, shooting blindly toward areas where I think mobs are on the server...), but this time being cautious wasn't enough.

I just entered ledge and encountered a pack of blues, killed half of them and the rest suddenly freezes in place. oops! desync, backtrack toward the waypoint, pop a potion and in the next sync I'm still dead.

After soloing the game all the way and countless near-death experiences in which I managed to prevail, dying to desync feels really stupid and de-motivating. More so because the game is really enjoyable and fun.

I experienced desync with all my chars and skills (some skills more then others). Sometimes the desync is huge, but sometimes is barely noticeable, for example: I notice in Coves I quite often get the vulnerability curse, without actually seeing the crab hit me.

With fast monsters, things get more ridiculous: snakes teleporting in & out of the room, rolling golems hitting you even though you dodged it by half a screen... All this is an added difficulty layer on top on an already challenging game (especially if soloing).

I hope this problem is technically solvable and it will be solved (or severely limited). I also understand GGG priorities right now and their limitations in manpower. PoE is a great game, with desync being currently a big problem (in terms of HC, a bit less in SC).
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
/oos was removed because:

a) It's bad if you spam it all the time.
b) It griefs other players as a required part of how it works. The customer support consequences were high.
c) The game will always be slightly out of sync as a result of how physics works. This is acceptable as long as we resync much better than we are currently doing. /oos allowed people to have a fight with no apparent sync problems, then type /oos and see that the corpses shift around so they complain about how bad sync is. The whole point of the prediction system we use is to be a little out of sync in order to hide latency.
d) Its removal forces us to improve resyncing code in the near future.

I am sorry if this post is a little aggressive in tone. As Damien mentioned, I'll be posting very detailed specifics about exactly how this all works and how we plan to fix it soon! This has gone up a lot in the priority list now that the servers are behaving better.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Last edited by Chris on Feb 8, 2013, 6:43:43 AM
This might not be on topic but I'd just like to state that I am in awe of how active on the forums you guys at GGG are.
It's really nothing ordinary - I love it.

Whatever you do, please never stop being this in touch with the community, not shying away from responding to topics yourself. I'm sure everyone appreciates it greatly.
didn't read the wall of text but did they actually remove it because i've been pushed into walls multiple times by charging mobs targeting party members and /oos actually can fix the problem sometimes.
Seriously, etup? There is a GGG post .... TWO whole posts above yours that answers your question. Plus it isn't nearly the 'wall of text' like the first GGG post was.

Totally not related to you (for real real) - I hate lazy people and think they should all die in a fire. Slowly.
Please familiarize yourself with the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory (GIFT) - http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Realize that the only part of the equation you can affect in the GIFT is the audience. Remove the audience and the trolls merely rant at the air.
"
Chris wrote:
/oos was removed because:

a) It's bad if you spam it all the time.
b) It griefs other players as a required part of how it works. The customer support consequences were high.
c) The game will always be slightly out of sync as a result of how physics works. This is acceptable as long as we resync much better than we are currently doing. /oos allowed people to have a fight with no apparent sync problems, then type /oos and see that the corpses shift around so they complain about how bad sync is. The whole point of the prediction system we use is to be a little out of sync in order to hide latency.
d) Its removal forces us to improve resyncing code in the near future.

I am sorry if this post is a little aggressive in tone. As Damien mentioned, I'll be posting very detailed specifics about exactly how this all works and how we plan to fix it soon! This has gone up a lot in the priority list now that the servers are behaving better.

This is wonderful news! I cant wait for the day when I can attack a monster and not have to wait a second to see if the attack hit or not. Or to walk around and all of a sudden be teleported into a group of monsters and be insta gibbed. That is the day the game becomes the best F2P game on the market.
I find this thread kind of staggering. I've typed out several long posts but realized each of them was too emotional and probably not a good idea to post. So I'm just going to say you should have only turned off /oos in multiplayer, because it was the only thing keeping this game playable for me. I really don't care about your customer support consequences, I want to play the game, especially since I just dropped $20 on it. Just my luck I guess, I finally show some support and then you go and break the game.
"
Astasia wrote:
I find this thread kind of staggering. I've typed out several long posts but realized each of them was too emotional and probably not a good idea to post. So I'm just going to say you should have only turned off /oos in multiplayer, because it was the only thing keeping this game playable for me. I really don't care about your customer support consequences, I want to play the game, especially since I just dropped $20 on it. Just my luck I guess, I finally show some support and then you go and break the game.

Yes, but the consequences are more frequent server crashes and a heavier load on the servers. Not to mention it may well be causing more desync. Catch 22. As is the case with all things, people tend to use something to the point of abuse, and then they ruin it for those who use it for what it was intended for.

They will fix the issue; they know about the issue. Since I started playing this game they've come a very, very long way. Don't be discouraged by them having to prioritize issues.

In any event, good to see them active in the community and letting us know what's going on. I don't need to know the huge technical reasons for why something is not working.

"
StinkFinger wrote:
All I got from that post was...

Don't expect a fix anytime soon, we're going with the "desyncs are intended by our design choice" excuse.

Then tries to shift focus by bringing up something that infuriates all PoE players, and comparing a flank steak to a filet...

FYI... I never desync'd in D2 buddy, so don't say that's the reasons, you intended us to miss. I missed like crazy in D2, but never freakin' desync on 13 year old hardware. It's 2013 man...

Ya... Well looks like unplayable servers for the long haul.

Maybe it's time to go back to that "lack of challenge" game, since at least I'm able to interact and the servers actually respond to my freaking clicking.

Really disappointed GGG... Had great hope for this game, but that response was not helpful.

This is exactly the attitude I don't want to see spread across the forums, no doubt he is probably still a child and feels its right to speak his mind even if he embarrasses himself.

Please leave, and don't come back, we don't need people like you and your opinions here..
Bumping this so more people can read this awesome response from GGG.

And the promise that they are going to get this fixed sooner rather than later, soon as the servers stop actin up from the huge influx of people from OB.
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
—Leo Buscaglia

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!

My beloved pets....

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info