Did you remove /oos or fix desync?

"
idarktemplar wrote:

"
Damien_GGG wrote:
To those who are upset about this issue - if you want to vent, by all means do - we'll leave you alone to do so. But if you want to actually engage in a conversation with us - real live human beings, just like you - then please do; talk directly to us rather than trying to bait us into discussion by rubbishing the game with non-constructive posts or trashing our statements on the forum because when you do that, we can only assume you're trolling or too upset to engage in a civil conversation so we avoid responding.

So, if you get too negative feedback, you claim it "trolling" and "uncivil" and just ignore it? No wonder you got huge sync problems: you just ignored this issue everytime you read about it because, obviously, people who got little desyncs rarely note them and ive almost no feedback, and people suffering to desyncs, even dying (loosing hardcore chars and/or considerable amounts of XP), are obviously can get angry, especially when devs are ignoring them. So smart of you.

Ignore it? No, I didn't say that. Avoid Responding was the phrase I used. As Anubite pointed out, feedback is useful, even if it's hostile, so of course we pay attention. I obviously wasn't clear - what I was saying was, if you want to have an actual discussion we're open to it (as time and the issue permits).
Thank you for your responses devs! I really appreciate the clarification and I can't wait to get back in game.

People need to remember this is a FREE game that is STILL IN BETA...

They said in no uncertain terms that desync will be focused on and that's good enough for me.

Thank you GGG!

"
tritonxiv wrote:
Thank you for your responses devs! I really appreciate the clarification and I can't wait to get back in game.

They said in no uncertain terms that desync will be focused on and that's good enough for me.

Thank you GGG!

People need to remember this issue has been going on for well over a year now... And it was brought up countless times way, way, way back by alpha testers.

Yet they popped out that MicroT shop with no qualms about the greatest single issue this game has... The servers and the desyncs.

Tell me again why this went to "Open" beta? When this problem was never addressed nor fixed in closed beta and the alpha testers felt like when they brought this issue up constantly, the closer and closer it came to open beta the more and more the devs became "silent" on that issue.

Oh that's right... They wanted the best of both worlds, a functional cash shop that everyone not just a few can use while still being allowed to use the "it's beta" crutch when needed.
"
genericacc wrote:

"
anubite wrote:
Go download League of Legends. While you're doing that, start up a torrent of some kind. Install the game and check your ping. If you're at 250-300 ms, great. Okay, start playing.

What's that? Your actions are all delayed by 1 to 2 seconds? That's a combination of input lag and latency-coding. In LoL, you are not allowed to move until the server says you can. In Path of Exile, you can move before the server says you can. How this works, is the server keeps you in sync after the fact. This means Path of Exile is playable (there's no sluggish responsiveness) at 300ms++. As you play, more or less rubberbanding will occur depending upon your connection quality. In LoL, the game is nigh-unplayable at 150+ ms. You need a high-speed relation with the server to have constant feedback and movement. The pay off? In LoL, you're ALWAYS sync'd, you're ALWAYS where your client shows you are. In POE, you're off by some small margin most of the time, and ocassionally off by a large margin which needs to be corrected immediately.

This is how the architecture differs and there are obvious design goals for each kind of architecture.

I know what syncing does, thanks. Unfortunately for you, every FPS ever works like your proposed second scheme and does not have rubberbanding issues at reasonable levels of ping, which this does. Unless this game's target market was Brazil, choosing a scheme which benefits players with 300+ ping and irritates everyone else is a rather odd choice.

But POE isn't a FPS. How many FPS games do you know let there exist up to 12 player-clients and up to 100 or more NPC-clients? In a map several times the size (in coordinates) of most 32-server FPS games? Coding for a FPS and coding for RPG are different things; if 100 monsters attack at once with projectile attacks, we now need to network 100 projectile entities. TF2 can't even handle more than 64~ arrows created per second (I've done it, multiplayer servers crash, they can't handle that many entities being networked). TF2 wouldn't even let me network 24 particle systems per second without making the server highly unstable.

Politely, I must inform you, "You don't know shit." Stop making assumptions about coding when it's clear to me you have no experience doing it.

As for why GGG implemented this kind of architecture - that's a moot quesiton (They aren't going to-rewrite their entire network code from scratch) - but the reason why they did is BECAUSE not everyone lives in a 1st world country with 40 ms ping. GGG is a small company which can only afford a small number of server clusters, so 200-300 ms needs to be acceptable. They ALSO chose the current implementation of sync because there are no NZ servers; THEY PLAY THE GAME THEMSELVES AT 200+ MS. If POE were designed like LOL, they couldn't even play their own game!
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Feb 8, 2013, 1:56:55 PM
I understand how the desync happens and I know it's a hard issue to fix. All I want to say that some people - like me - are hit by this issue so hard that we can't play at our prime time. At least we can't enjoy the fun of hardcore or progressing in cruel/merciless. It's hard because we can't know if we are in the room we see or not. Monster hit us so we can't evade/kite them and using ranged skills is impossible.

Earlier I could play the game while using /oos when needed, but for example yesterday I had to quit because it was too hard to keep alive. Until this issue is fixed I can't keep playing at evening, at all.

Ps. Kudos for you GGG anyway for this great game.

"
tritonxiv wrote:

People need to remember this is a FREE game that is STILL IN BETA..

Sorry to say, but you are wrong. If you can spend money on a game it's not free by any meter.
Last edited by jabi on Feb 8, 2013, 3:26:31 PM
So i read this and i have now no hope it will be fixed soon , so i guess is time to go play another game and back next year and see if they able to fixed it ! Look like they get stuck whit the challenge and the way they want the game to work but i have some news for them , the most challenging thing in the game right now is dodging desync ! Very sad :(

PS: can't belive they said it not on the top of the priority list !!!
IGN : Bisebille
"
Karadok wrote:
can't belive they said it not on the top of the priority list !!!

Yeah, I also can't believe they said server stability is more important. Can you believe they want to stop server crashes so people can play at all? It's unbelievable.

It's almost like they have someone competent deciding their priorities.
Last edited by AzraelX on Feb 8, 2013, 3:50:57 PM
"

This is something I have an issue with nowadays. The term "beta" lost its meaning a long time ago, especially for f2p games. I've played countless f2p games that go into open beta, but have no more wipes, yet already a functioning cash shop. It's pretty much the official launch. Sticking "beta" there just makes it sound a tad more exclusive and - even better - gives you the ability to say "Well it's just a beta".

Now I'm not saying ggg is to blame here, rather it's people who are too naive to realize that games launch this way and rolling with "but it's just a beta" just doesn't cut it, not when you're already making money with micro transactions.

"
StinkFinger wrote:

People need to remember this issue has been going on for well over a year now... And it was brought up countless times way, way, way back by alpha testers.

Yet they popped out that MicroT shop with no qualms about the greatest single issue this game has... The servers and the desyncs.

Tell me again why this went to "Open" beta? When this problem was never addressed nor fixed in closed beta and the alpha testers felt like when they brought this issue up constantly, the closer and closer it came to open beta the more and more the devs became "silent" on that issue.

Oh that's right... They wanted the best of both worlds, a functional cash shop that everyone not just a few can use while still being allowed to use the "it's beta" crutch when needed.

No offense Mr. StinkFinger, But your words paint a picture that leads me to believe you think all or most of the devs are incompetent and immoral. If this is the case that's fine you're entitled to your opinion but for your own sake you should probably go find something else to play.
Haven't read the whole thread. But I don't really consider the desync as such a big problem. I had just as much desync in D2 when I played that.
Danskere: PM mig, hvis I har brug for en guild.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info