PvP Balance and Damage Scaling

"
wow u guys are actually doing the whole

IT DEALS THIS AMOUNT OF DAMAGE IN PVP
WE WON'T FUCK WITH IT IN PVE

Route

Good on you.

Thank you for not destroying PvE just for the sake of PvP.
RIP Diablo franchise

RIP Bird Lovers of Wraeclast <BLÔW>

Congrats Chris & others for cashing out! I don't blame you. I'll be saving money now... unless I start making a lot more. Can't wait to see if you guys start a new studio in six years! RIP GGG
Last edited by ThorOtheBIG on Dec 11, 2014, 1:16:27 PM
How does this work with damage conversion, say in the case of goddess bound? Does it use the phys damage calculation, then convert to fire damage from that?
"
Dos_Fafner wrote:
"
elvy wrote:

edit: As a sidenote, the reaction of some people to this manifesto post is why big companies hire PR people to handle news and announcements. They'd have made sure to clarify the reasons for the block nerf a week+ before any sort of announcement containing the words 'PvP' and 'block builds', or any connection between the two.

How about the life nerf guys? Or the life buff? Or the ES buff? Or the ES nerf? Or the crit buff/nerf? Or the IR keystone severe nerf a while ago? Was that all PvP related too? Guess devs aren't allowed to make any changes to the tree if the patch focus is PvP or you'll be out to get them, huh.

This ignores completely the overarching issue of the tree being nerf'd to accommodate uniques - more than one of the nerf's/buff's you mentioned are a direct result of overused/overpowered uniques

Also, clarifying the reasons "why" you are making adjustments via a "PR" department does not give those adjustments validity. As for reactions, this is a forum for commentary - if we all agreed they wouldn't be called opinions.

And? This is the PvP Manifesto post and people are whining about the block nerf. And this happened because the PvP post mentions block, alongside other damage avoidance mechanics.

These things were extremely good relative to other mechanics, like armor. They sure could use a rebalance, imo, maybe not in yours. But why on earth are we talking about these things on the PvP manifesto post, if not because people think it's the PvP balance that necessitated the changes?

Is it not abundantly obvious that applying a dampening factor for block, dodge and so on could be done for PvE, exactly as it was done for PvP damage? Isn't it obvious that these changes were made with the overall balance of the game in mind, PvE included? You may not agree with it, but you at least have to acknowledge that, if they wanted PvE to be block focused, they could've kept it that way while simultaneously nerfing block for PvP.
Last edited by elvy on Dec 11, 2014, 2:39:45 PM
"
NickK_GGG wrote:

The scaling algorithms as of our most recent 1.3.0 alpha build are:

for physical and chaos damage, and

for elemental damage.

Why make it complicated when you can do it simple.

D^0.61*(125*T)^0.39
and
D^0.58*(290*T)^0.42

At least there you see what is the influence of the variables.

Nitpicking mood...
"
wow u guys are actually doing the whole

IT DEALS THIS AMOUNT OF DAMAGE IN PVP
WE WON'T FUCK WITH IT IN PVE

Route

Good on you.

You missed the part where they rebalanced the entire skill tree around PVP *before* this mitigation calculation, and now the only remaining usable PvE builds for marauders are useless.
You say elemental damage is increased with the second formula, according to my friend it clearly doesn't, I didn't know that so I punched in the numbers 20 times wondering why it was lower.

Please word things better. T.T
"
Waffl3x wrote:
You say elemental damage is increased with the second formula, according to my friend it clearly doesn't, I didn't know that so I punched in the numbers 20 times wondering why it was lower.

The formulas are in the upcoming patch, not now. Unless you and your friend are both playing alpha, your testing and finding the numbers doesn't match is irrelevant.

"
magpye wrote:
"
Waffl3x wrote:

The formulas are in the upcoming patch, not now. Unless you and your friend are both playing alpha, your testing and finding the numbers doesn't match is irrelevant.

using a calculator.

But not I'm confused because before it spit out a lower number, now its spitting out a higher number.

Riot games take notes, this is complicated math.

Edit: Formula is passive aggressively bullying me. It's only reducing my damage per hit by .52 because it's so low. :(
Last edited by Waffl3x on Dec 11, 2014, 5:06:30 PM
What about Resolute Tecnique? Will it still completly mess up evasion builds?
Thanks for that deep insight.
Though I'm kinda worried thgat things like the Acrobatics change will make those options less viable in PvE.
Because I sure don't make PvP viable builds, why would I.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info