PvP Balance and Damage Scaling

Sorry guys, but this is a horrible way to handle this. This is FAR too much math to make this work. You should have just done a MUCH simpler thing:

1) Players' PvP health/ES = Players' normal Health/ES * X
2) Damage Resistance++

Make it easy for people to understand. There's no way in hell I'm going to try to make sense of all that, and the people who are really into PvP, will, which means I'll just constantly lose, which means there's no point in me even bothering.
"
Dos_Fafner wrote:
I have a few high end evade/dodge characters and the random hits that do get through back-to-back (keeping in mind I have closer to 60% attack dodge 30% spell dodge with 55% evade and 50% block 4.5k+ HP) almost kill them in high level maps. So letting another 15% of the hits through (roughly) will likely actually kill them. The right side of the tree has nearly no regeneration and dodging kills 50% of both ES and Armor already - all you have left is block. It's not the strong 30% NERF that makes this a terrible balance - it's this nerf COUPLED with a nerf or elimination of EVERY block node on the right side of the tree (except 1 which takes 5 points to get). So instead of getting: 30% (average) from your shield and 20% (average) from your tree you're getting 30% (again average) from your shield and 9% from your tree - which is then cut down 30% for a grand block total of 27% - that's assuming you invest at least 7-10 points in getting to/acquiring block nodes. Furthermore, getting 50% spell dodge and using Lightning Coil is ITEM reliant - this means it's the actual items, not the tree, that need balanced. As per usual, high end uniques with overpowered mods are driving balancing - this is counter-intuitive. Uniques should be designed and balanced around the tree - not the other way around. We ALL have the tree to work with, only top-end players consistently have top-end uniques to work with.

That being said, I'm just ignoring the crap block nodes and re-balancing my evasion builds based on not having significant block.
Back to The Melee (Reaving Insight): view-thread/1240462
Fusion Skill Engineering: view-thread/1095291
"
Howmakeagame wrote:
"
NeroNoah wrote:
Not to be an asshole, but I hope that level of balance filter its way out to pve, =D

If you just read the damn thing...

ikr
rawrawr
"
sybrwookie wrote:
Sorry guys, but this is a horrible way to handle this. This is FAR too much math to make this work. You should have just done a MUCH simpler thing:

2) Damage Resistance++

Make it easy for people to understand. There's no way in hell I'm going to try to make sense of all that, and the people who are really into PvP, will, which means I'll just constantly lose, which means there's no point in me even bothering.

I imagine GGG didn't take your approach because they wouldn't be able to fine tune skills individually. Since they want to, it would be redundant to also introduce flat adjustments as you're describing. Also, your flat adjustments are already included in the algorithms anyways, except that damage amounts are changing rather than life/es and resists. In the end the ratios between damage and survivability would be the same, but since the damage side is where the differentiation of gems happens, that's where they need to do the math.

edit: Sure, PvP aficionados with math chops will be able to out-calculate your builds in the beginning, but I'm sure intuition will still count for something in making viable builds, so at worst you might lose slightly more often in the very beginning, until raw experience shows you which builds are best. And, you only need to then worry about the math for fine-tuning the skills your build uses, not for every skill in the game. Unless you are planning to make it to the invitationals...
Last edited by Proslambanomenos on Dec 11, 2014, 10:59:16 AM
Block needed a nerf it has nothing to do with PvP.

The amount of QQ defending block, because naturally we all use it, just strengthens the case against block. Its currently over used and makes builds less viable by being insanely too good compared to any other defensive option.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
"
sybrwookie wrote:

2) Damage Resistance++

It's ok, you'll be able to copy the more intelligent players later on, don't worry about a thing. Or just trust that GGG didn't fuck up any scaling and go with what you like. Or playtest everything and ignore theory. You know, putting some sort of work into it, whatever you can handle.

And if you are more dexterous than they are more intelligent you may even best them in the field!

edit: As a sidenote, the reaction of some people to this manifesto post is why big companies hire PR people to handle news and announcements. They'd have made sure to clarify the reasons for the block nerf a week+ before any sort of announcement containing the words 'PvP' and 'block builds', or any connection between the two.

How about the life nerf guys? Or the life buff? Or the ES buff? Or the ES nerf? Or the crit buff/nerf? Or the IR keystone severe nerf a while ago? Was that all PvP related too? Guess devs aren't allowed to make any changes to the tree if the patch focus is PvP or you'll be out to get them, huh.
Last edited by elvy on Dec 11, 2014, 11:38:11 AM
"
Lucid_ wrote:
"
wow u guys are actually doing the whole

IT DEALS THIS AMOUNT OF DAMAGE IN PVP
WE WON'T FUCK WITH IT IN PVE

Route

Good on you.

Except killing block

And the duelist starting..

And the witch starting...

this is the dumbest post i have seen on here yet.
Did you stop to think?

Let me use big letters to help you

Those skills also exist in pve hence the tree changes to try and make them not utterly game breaking.

they did however kind of kill the duelist starting area but still duelist before was v v strong low level.
"
Waves_blade wrote:
Interesting.

Math hurts my head.

TBH though, considering that everyone will probably have a movement skill, idk why you even bothered with flameblast, its 0% viable against any kind of mobility IMO.

Take a look at Mathil's FlameDab. :)
Movement skill isn't going to be all that useful against something like that.
"
p0t wrote:
Block needed a nerf it has nothing to do with PvP.

The amount of QQ defending block, because naturally we all use it, just strengthens the case against block. Its currently over used and makes builds less viable by being insanely too good compared to any other defensive option.

The game is already balanced around alt+f4, and we're not getting more life. Cloak of Defiance didn't go anywhere, and the entire bottom half of the tree goes from taking 1/4th damage with max block to somewhere yet to be revealed with item block nerfs. The top half of the tree can run boring builds like Dual Totem/Burn Prolif/Summoner/offscreeners to counteract this while the bottom has no alternative but to crawl through content.

Everyone is weaker, but the balance is even more tilted, and uniques are still everyone's solution. And why is Dual Totem even further from Marauder?
"
elvy wrote:
"
sybrwookie wrote:

2) Damage Resistance++

It's ok, you'll be able to copy the more intelligent players later on, don't worry about a thing. Or just trust that GGG didn't fuck up any scaling and go with what you like. Or playtest everything and ignore theory. You know, putting some sort of work into it, whatever you can handle.

And if you are more dexterous than they are more intelligent you may even best them in the field!

edit: As a sidenote, the reaction of some people to this manifesto post is why big companies hire PR people to handle news and announcements. They'd have made sure to clarify the reasons for the block nerf a week+ before any sort of announcement containing the words 'PvP' and 'block builds', or any connection between the two.

How about the life nerf guys? Or the life buff? Or the ES buff? Or the ES nerf? Or the crit buff/nerf? Or the IR keystone severe nerf a while ago? Was that all PvP related too? Guess devs aren't allowed to make any changes to the tree if the patch focus is PvP or you'll be out to get them, huh.

This ignores completely the overarching issue of the tree being nerf'd to accommodate uniques - more than one of the nerf's/buff's you mentioned are a direct result of overused/overpowered uniques

Also, clarifying the reasons "why" you are making adjustments via a "PR" department does not give those adjustments validity. As for reactions, this is a forum for commentary - if we all agreed they wouldn't be called opinions.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info