Something Different: Things POE does really well.

"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

PoE is good at weeding out the bad players that think they are knowledgeable but are really in denial.

AKA "omg all these changes need to happen to make PoE molded exactly to me, it's the games fault that I can't do this or that or compete with the top people, it's not my fault"

Understanding of game mechanics of some people, and some posts about "how I'd change the game" make this argument SO valid. I'd say with that knowledge (The Dunning-Kruger effect) it is better to not state anything (or rather ask), before learning the topic... oh wait, that is what smart people do :P.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Original setting, lore and classes. There is very little "generic fantasy" in Wraeclast these days, and watching them patch it out has been fascinating.

I would disagree that the classes are "different" or done in any way that seems original.

I'm also not sure how you are missing the "Generic Fantasy" either. Three element magic with Dex, Int, Str based abilities is about as classic as you get. "Heroes" adventuring to kill an evil overlord certainly hasn't been done before.... oh wait.

I think their most innovative creation is having varied orb currency and crafting intertwined. Now while I think crafting can still be better, it has proven to be a pretty good sink. Vendor recipes are also well done and pretty unique.

I put heroes in quotes because you could insert your own protagonist cliche there.

The large warrior, female magic user, hunter, assassin, ect... is pretty straightforward. As far as their motives... they all seemingly have good intentions. I'm mean you are helping out townsfolk most of the time. I would love a change to that pace.

You're helping them for one reason: personal gain. Pay more attention to the dialogue. The NPCs by and large do not trust you, and even at times fear what you may become.

As for the archetypes, sure, they're not that unusual but you've reduced it to an almost inescapable level of commonality (fighter, mage, assassin, etc). I'm talking about the presentation of those archetypes. A murderer, a child-stealing heretic, an apostate, a lesbian poacher, a runaway slave, a glory-hunting arena adrenaline-junkie.

We are not heroes. We're not 'questing' to save the world or to beat the big bad. That's almost incidental on our rise to power and personal achievement. Wraeclast twists those original intentions to its own ends -- again, pay more attention to the dialogue.

Unfortunately all you've talked about is the surface, whereas I'm looking at details and thematic complexity. I shouldn't be that surprised, all things considered, and just replying to you seems to be stooping, but hey, I'm polite like that.

To an extent.

It's an RPG. You are doing the quests for whatever reason you wish to roleplay. The quests are mostly people asking you to do things, and don't mention reward until after. take Nessa for instance

Nessa: Lioneye's Watch isn't much, but it's ours. We could use you here, while you live.
But, should you wish to venture out, do just one thing for me? Out on the coast, amongst the wrecks, there must be a ship's medicine chest. I have many to care for and there's only so much I can do with herbs and seawater.

It's very neutral. She is asking a favor with no hint of reward. It's not required to progress in the game so you can ignore it or complete it, for whatever roleplay reasons you want to make up. you CAN be a hero to the people who would have died without the medicine, or you can be selfish and ignore the quest.

Saying we are absolutely not hero's is false. You are whatever you decide to be, and the game allows for it.

OP creates a thread for discussion of what GGG does well in PoE. Usual suspects and malcontents arrive to derail with more bitching.

Typical. ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Raycheetah wrote:
OP creates a thread for discussion of what GGG does well in PoE. Usual suspects and malcontents arrive to derail with more bitching.

Typical. ='[.]'=

Ironic, because when someone creates a thread for the discussion of what GGG does poorly, the usual suspects and fanboys arrive to derail with more head-in-the-sand denial.

Typical.

edit: It's also not surprising that a thread criticizing GGG/PoE gets immediately buried in the feedback forum. But one that praises GGG? Yea, it gets to stay in General Discussion.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give moar Power Creep Pls

Last edited by Druga1757 on Nov 25, 2014, 10:48:33 AM
Making us chase a carrot while whispering troll comments at us.

The carrot is different for all of us, it could be a mirror drop, shav, or a white item to craft with.
The trolling is the fishing rods, op balances to let slide for months, or posting on reddit instead of here.

They have created a awesome psychology experiment that pays them.
There comes a time thief when jewels cease to sparkle, gold loses it's luster, throne room becomes a prison, and all that's left is a father's love for his child. - King Osric
"
Druga1757 wrote:

edit: It's also not surprising that a thread criticizing GGG/PoE gets immediately buried in the feedback forum. But one that praises GGG? Yea, it gets to stay in General Discussion.

IGN : @Morgoth
"
Druga1757 wrote:

Riiight, like all the threads that seem to stick around in there when patches roll around that people don't like? Or the nerfs? shieeet...

I like the frequency that there's updates and additions to the game. Nobody asks for them to be so constant with them and they're not obligated to come out with new things all the time that end up surprising me with the effort they put in.
Last edited by Hypomaniac on Nov 25, 2014, 11:36:44 AM
"
Hypomaniac wrote:
"
Druga1757 wrote:

Riiight, like all the threads that seem to stick around in there when patches roll around that people don't like? Or the nerfs? shieeet...

I like it how GGG's constantly coming out with huge updates and additions to the game. Nobody asks for it, and they're not obligated to.

I like it when they patch the game, too. I liked the Masters so I even got another supporter pack.

Still doesn't absolve them of criticism.

And for the model that GGG has set up, they ARE obligated to constantly patch the game with updates and additions. If it weren't for that, people would stop playing. New leagues with no new content? I would imagine the player numbers would drop even faster.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give moar Power Creep Pls

"
Druga1757 wrote:

And for the model that GGG has set up, they ARE obligated to constantly patch the game with updates and additions. If it weren't for that, people would stop playing. New leagues with no new content? I would imagine the player numbers would drop even faster.

Oop. I meant the frequency that they do it* Have fixed this up now.
Some other games I play don't feel like they come out with new things half as much as PoE, that's all I'm saying.
Passive tree and skill gems, my favourite part of this game is theory crafting builds

I may also be in the minority but I love the graphics and art, I have been playing since OB and they have made HUGE strides in making the game look great

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info