Standard currency build up becoming a problem?

I love how static MMO economies work. I played through Ultima Online from the days of $25 per million gold to the days of 25 cents per million gold. That progression was just amazing to play through, it took about 13 years to devalue from $25 to 25 cents per million gold. Maintaining wealth in an inflating economy can be a ruthless challenge in and of itself. In the early days people would farm gold. Eventually it got to the point where the game itself could no longer mint currency relevant to player wealth. You simply had no reason to pick up gold off the ground at all. You made all money through trading. That is when the economy really started to shine. But the game had more trading facilitation.

You set up an NPC vendor in your house and you stocked it with your items you wanted to sell and other players could come buy it. People set up sites that worked exactly like poe.trade but they just went to the house coordinates where the listing was and bought it, didn't have to meet up with the other player. There was also more stuff to farm and sell than GG gear and orbs. Rare consumable skill cap increases, rare house decorations, crafted consumable items, raw materials like ore and logs (refined to ingots and boards). There was a way for any type of player to participate. PVPers got skill cap increase scrolls to sell to PVEers, PVEers could go farm GG gear from bosses to sell to PVPers, there was all kinds of crafting with useful items people would buy every day, lots of different mats to farm for the professional crafters.

PoE is missing a lot of these things to make static economies more interesting. I still quite like standard and maybe that much depth would confuse and anger a lot of people. Gear crafting (runics) was much harder and even more RNG hateful in UO as compared to PoE, if you can believe it, pre-artificing anyway.
Last edited by Astealoth on Nov 24, 2014, 12:48:50 AM
"
nick66234 wrote:

And give everyone (even new players) a not impossible chance at getting rich.

People who spend more item dropping loot and currency will always be richer than you, starting like 3 months ago. If something like this would be possible, being wealthy would be meaningless, because you, playing for 3 months, could be as rich as players who play this for YEARS.

"
nick66234 wrote:

obviously currency is going to keep building up in the standard league, which eventually is going to make it impossible for new players to have a chance at getting rich.

People actually are using currency. Also, why other players having massive chunks of currency would prevent you from "becoming rich"? You can gain stuff by either:
a) Dropping stuff (unaffected by other people wealth)
b) Selling stuff - not really affected all that much. I'm selling shitton of gear, still. Inflation is making everything more expensive, thus selling good items (which you drop) brings you even more currency. So where is the problem? Also, if the currency is so "useless", why would you even want it in the first place? Lol. Get the items.

Standard is a trade league, what did you expect. :-S

PS. I_NO please :C
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Most people in Standard have been playing since Open Beta. You shouldn't be able to match their wealth in 1 league. Keep grinding everyday and maybe in a year or two you'll be rich in Standard too.
You need in STD to join a wealthy and active guild, in which you can level to 80 one week, where you play 75-76+ maps all evenings, where you can get discount on good items etc etc if you want to get ubber end game characters.

The same question remains, what your objective ? Being the richiest and having fun pasting your ubber stuff in each thread ? Build toons with funny concept ? experiment like a mad scientist ?
Last edited by 4phex on Nov 24, 2014, 7:27:24 AM
"
4phex wrote:
You need in STD to join a wealthy and active guild, in which you can level to 80 one week, where you play 75-76+ maps all evenings, where you can get discount on good items etc etc if you want to get ubber end game characters.

The same question remains, what your objective ? Being the richiest and having fun pasting your ubber stuff in each thread ? Build toons with funny concept ? experiment like a mad scientist ?

Not exactly. I'm in a guild with 5 friend of which 2 play occasionally and 3 haven't logged on in a while. Since the end of Ambush i have farmed enough currency to buy an Acuity (old 84ex price), 6l Shavs, 6l Windripper and a bunch of under 5ex items, while still having around 80ex in the bank. Most of that was done by farming Piety, Dominus and sacrifice fragments. Pick up every RGB item and rare, vendor for chromes, alterations and alchemy. Thankfully standard ratio's are geared more towards the small currency so it was a lot easier than in temp leagues.
Last edited by Luka666 on Nov 24, 2014, 7:44:26 AM
I have been playing since mid open beta, at first i would not compete in temp leagues cause i wanted my standard char to be beast, i still use my first char.
although he has had a few incarnations.
over in standard i am super poor, dont even have one exalt. but back in the day i traded like a madman and managed to aquire so decent items for my cycloner.

this game is about sinking as much time into farnming and trading as possible to generate wealth.. lucky drops also help.

hang in there op, new leagues coming soon, then we will all be poor.
Last edited by kurtcobainsshotgun on Nov 24, 2014, 8:02:44 AM
The only items being super expensive, are those that are hard to obtain or not obtainable anymore.

TONS and TONS of good gear are priced cheap as hell on standard. So if you want to gear up your characters, that is perfectly possible.

I still remember the old-school mmo tibia (wizardry graphics) where Golden, Winged and Horned Helmets went for millions (since they never spawned anymore on the server). All the rest was very affordable.
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
My collection might be smaller than others but at least I played the game fair and square.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
"
TONS and TONS of good gear are priced cheap as hell on standard. So if you want to gear up your characters, that is perfectly possible.

I think people forget this a lot. Hell, I had several people PM me about gear I was selling in rampage-- they got it for free in standard.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
"
nick66234 wrote:
I was just wondering about this, because I just started playing PoE at the beginning of the rampage league.

So you now have to decide, if you want to play aRPG game (like: I kill monsters for loot) or economy game (like: I'm running my shop and have to kill monsters for new goods delivery).

If you prefer to play aRPG game, Standard is very good place to play in. For other types of games, you have to get love to guinea pig leagues.
Anticipation slowly dissipates...
"
tmaciak wrote:
For other types of games, you have to get love to guinea pig leagues.

haha, gold :))
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info