Standard currency build up becoming a problem?

I was just wondering about this, because I just started playing PoE at the beginning of the rampage league. I noticed by giving good time into the game I was able to begin to afford things I wanted to get by simply working for them. But now that I've been moved to standard the cost rates for items and the worth of currency has gone down significantly. It's pretty clear why, this game has been out for awhile now. And when people find these currency items (chaos, exalt etc.) there's no use for them besides trading. I mean really, besides chaos giving rare items new random properties (which could be used for making a rare 5-6 link a better 5-6 link) exalted orbs are simply too valuable to use them to get one new random property on an item. Not to remove chaos from that, they can be used, just not often enough to stop them from building up over time and losing their value.

So obviously currency is going to keep building up in the standard league, which eventually is going to make it impossible for new players to have a chance at getting rich. I can't stop thinking about this because now that I'm in standard, I don't want to start all over until I get some good fun time into my standard account. But unfortunatly it doesn't seem possible. It's getting to the point where just "ok" items are costing way too much for the standard gamer that hasn't put years into PoE to afford. But it doesn't seem many people to be onto this, I keep hoping I might hear a solution to this from GGG. Like maybe giving the higher priced currency items a better use for crafting. Or simply making what their used for a bit more valuable. Even if it's just by making the "new random properties" from chaos orbs more likely to roll good attributes, the possibilities are endless.

So just wanted to put this out there, I hate it when currency builds up on a game then I start playing it too late. Because then I'll almost forever be poor considering as I'm getting rich, the currency is building up and therefore becoming less valuable. So, just wanted to say this. Just hoping they give people a reason to use EX orbs, chaos orbs etc.. another use besides trading. A use that would remove that orb from the game, rather than just pass it onto another player. And give everyone (even new players) a not impossible chance at getting rich.
IGN: BombTheChildren, ProfessorBigJohnson, SmashTheChildren
US EST
The new leagues are beginning in a few weeks. They will bring the equal footing you're looking for.
From what i was told. Standard is a "dump" league. There is no point to complain about that.
GGG stated It's a dump league literally that's what they said

It's a dump league lol
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"

We did?

edit: link?
"
Michael_GGG wrote:
"

We did?

Yes you absolutely did lol
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"

It's a dump league lol

GGG was nice enough out of respect to call it the standard league instrad of the dump league. /sarcasm

Also, GGG stated that the temp league is the open beta to standard league. GGG uses the statistics from the temp leagues to balance out the permanent leagues. /anothersarcasm

This is why I pity the nomads, they can never appreciate a real home.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Nov 23, 2014, 11:35:29 PM
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
"

It's a dump league lol

GGG was nice enough out of respect to call it the standard league instrad of the dump league. /sarcasm

Also, GGG stated that the temp league is the open beta to standard league. GGG uses the statistics from the temp leagues to balance out the permanent leagues. /anothersarcasm

This is why I pity the nomads, they can never appreciate a real home.

Okay I believe dump league is not exactly an insult here why do some of people get offended? It IS a dump league jesus

Legacies everywhere
Economy is twisted etc

This is the place where you just exist forever continuing to build wealth forever and forever end of story what you think people are just going you know show up randomly with
in the new leagues and such? How does a starter legit newbie actually do something in standard? He has to work for it obviously or play a fresh start.

Standard is not their for the new people it is absolutely not the place for new people to go hence every time you create a char it directs itself to the new league.

Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Last edited by Coconutdoggy on Nov 23, 2014, 11:39:25 PM
"

Standard is not their for the new people it is absolutely not the place for new people to go hence every time you create a char it directs itself to the new league.

I actually kinda find that annoying when I am making new characters, having to deselect the new league option just to get through Standard. Obviously GGG did this from a marketing perspective. I do not find it wrong what they did, in fact I find it great. But as an old player......meh.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

On the one hand, you want to be on a roughly even playtime footing with the other players in your league. This is reasonable. This is why GGG defaults new players to challenge leagues--the game is balanced around the idea of economic resets. The problem is that you also want to retain your character beyond the allotted "expiration date." GGG has made provisions for you to do this, but this means that other player who have retained their post-ladder characters also have theirs.

I don't know what you expect them to do about this, unless you want a monstrously confusing system where every challenge league has a "legacy" counterpart after its over. Then you'd just wind up with tons of dead leagues that everyone is begging to be merged into a single one with a somewhat active playerbase. Which, of course, is what Standard is already.

Adding sinks for certain currencies isn't going to change much, since at a certain point, the eternal/exalt/mirror system means that perfecting a character involves getting copies of items being held by massively wealthy, entrenched players. If you have a problem with that, challenge leagues are the other option. If you just want to play to ~90 or so with good, but not perfect, gear, then you'll be fine in Standard. Based on what I can tell, yes, prices are higher for equivalent gear in the challenge leagues, but not by such an extreme amount that you won't be able to progress. Before the 80s, a few chaos per slot is plenty.

If by "getting rich," you mean being in a certain percentile bracket of the Standard population, you can already forget about that. If you just mean having enough to fund a good character, then you still have lots of options.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info