PoE Manager: a central HUB for Path of Exile / poe.trade autoonline / procurement / .ahk helper

"
GnGEmpire wrote:

Thank you.
Excellent answer.

I'm glad you liked my answer and I hope you're trying out this program right now. By the way, bump for new version with even smarter poe.trade auto-online functionality (check out the first post)
bump. new procurement version 1.8.6 embedded.
Hmm that looks nice, any exiles using it ?

You need to find someone trusted by the community with a C# background that can give confidence on the application. Even if your program actually never requires the user to type his password we don't know if the other applications handle password security properly by storing it in an encrypted manner.

Maybe ask the Procurement guy (it's in C# too).

Also setup a Github or similar for the source code to make it easy to compare between versions.

Would be cool to have an API from GGG to login and avoid this kind of problems though.

Spoiler
I tried the tool because I have known this guy IRL for at least 12 years now and I can go to his house to beat him up if he steals my shit LOL.

That said I have a few questions:
- Why do you include procurement within the distribution? we all have it already setup and all, just ask for the path like for the game itself. Would also eliminate the problem of releasing a new version for each procurement version. (If the user doesn't have procurement give him a link to download it himself)
- What does Helper do? I know you wrote it in the first post but you can't assume everyone is going to read it before they get to run the app. (I use F2 for the social screen ingame and took a while to find out that F2 is a logout macro from the helper itself) Either link to this thread in the App, include a readme.txt or add tooltips (or all of them).

UI related problems:
1) After the app asks for POE's path the next dialog window (procurement link) goes into the background, should be focused instead.
2) When procurement starts nothing seems to happen for a while.
3) Close button!
4) Window should have a border.
5) If the user launch the app from the exe, show the window! (add a parameter to start hidden for automatic startup purposes)
6) Completly grey out the stop button if the component isn't running.
7) Autolaunch toggles need to be more obvious.
8) Make Alt+F2 shortcut key customizable.

Edit:
Suggestion: add a textfield that does searches on the wiki
Last edited by lepre84 on Dec 3, 2014, 11:32:58 AM
book marked :)

no offense dude

i love how the poe community gets these idea's out there......not just on a forum thread but for real..............

and its not that i don't trust ya:) i'm more worried about the project being left in the dust and lil ol me gettin grumpy cause i'm so used to it........

this seems like the bridge my dumb ass has been hangin for since i gave up and have a second comp running procurement ect.....

thanks you for your time!

nice stuff
Looks like it doesnt work with the Steamversion of the game, right? The pro sounds great :)
"
NebuKadneZaar wrote:
Looks like it doesnt work with the Steamversion of the game, right? The pro sounds great :)

Lookup the installation path of POE trough steam and point the tool there, i think it'll work
"
lepre84 wrote:
First things first:
You need to find someone trusted by the community with a C# background that can give confidence on the application. Even if your program actually never requires the user to type his password we don't know if the other applications handle password security properly by storing it in an encrypted manner.

Thanks, for your support mate, I've just stumbled into your post. As you stated, we know each other in real life so we'll have the chance to talk about this when we catch up. Anyway, for the sake of public knowledge, here we are:

github -> you're certainly right, if this becomes any more serious than now, that should be the way to go, though before than this I should really take some time to put some comments in the code. While I didn't do it in the first place, given the trivial complexity of the program, it would for sure come in handy should someone else poke with the code.

Password/security -> as of now, only procurement is asking for user/password, hence the burden of safe password storage is all up to it, and if procurement didn't handle user/password in a safe manner I guess we'll know that by now

Embed procurement, yes or no? -> I guess there's no wrong or right speaking about this matter. As of now I decided to embed it because I felt that having everything ready from the start would lead to a more convenient experience. I think that considering the user point of view, the best approach would be asking at the first launch if the user wants to use the embedded procurement or specify a path to his own. We'll work on this.

Helper -> yeah, it should be more clear what this does, especially which hotkeys are bound to this tool once it's started. I should at least create a section about it on the main thread, aaand also tooltips...that's not a bad idea :D

UI Related problems -> my thoughts on them:

Spoiler
1. You're right of course, as of now it acts like that because I was in a hurry and used some mostly-deprecated Visual Basic libraries (included in C#) which let you create dialog windows with little to no code, but of course the result isn't optimal. Probably one of the first things to work on.

2. This doesn't happen to me (tried 3 PCs) and it's also quite strange, since the code which executes it is the same as the one which executes PoE, or the Helper, merely checking if there's no other program in the background whose exe has the same name and resides in the same path, and if that is so, procurement is started. May you do some more tests about this? How much time does it take for Procurement to start? How much does it take if you launch it manually?

3/4/5/8. Yeah, all this should be done

6/7. I feel it's quite clear as of now, since the "X" caption on the button changes from red to black when a program isn't running. Should I take it to the next step I would probably just design my own button images to give it a sleeker look.

your last suggestion: that's also something which we could talk about

No matter what, I feel that the program is already quite useful and decently polished as of now (except for the first-launch forms, I know it). I'd just like to wait a little more to see if there's a decent (any!) user base which justifies further improvements.

"
NebuKadneZaar wrote:

As stated by lepre84, you should be able to locate PoE folder inside steam directory. On my PC the path to installed steam apps is:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common"

Once you figured out where PoE folder is, just select it when you first launch the program. I haven't tested it with steam PoE though, so it would be nice if you report your experience about that...but I'm pretty convinced it should work.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info