anyone else play grim dawn?

"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
"
k1rage wrote:
"
kolyaboo wrote:
I have gotten pretty far, but there is just something that is not working for me as well. Not sure what. I want to like the game, but ...

yeah for me it was that every build felt weak

It is like PoE, you got to find synergy in the build you are trying to make, find the gears that will make the synergy go crazy, and make sure you still have room to make your build not full blown glass cannon that just a sneeze in ultimate difficulty kills you.

I was able to make a build that is semi glass cannon but melts everything before me. Can get a bit laggy if the all the attack effects take place while there are a lot of mobs, but other than that, I love the carnage. I have also made a very very tanky character that is only slightly vulnerable to one type of damage and the rest will barely feel it. The build has a decent amount of HP (over 15k HP with a decent amount of HP regen and like over 80% block chance (which absorbs a good chunk of damage either way)). The damage output is ok in ultimate diffculty, but I run a debuff to make the damage output a bit better, but I mostly rely on my character just tanking it all.

Then there are other builds I have that are bit more tanky, but deals a bit less damage.

Edit: I do not think Grim Dawn will reach the popularity and media attention that PoE receives, but when it comes to enjoying the game, I find Grim Dawn pretty much up there with PoE.

I probably dident play it enough

I only got half way through act 2 before getting board

everything Seemed to take forever to die

and i followed build guides that were highly regarded on their forums but it still seemed hard to get trash to fall over easily
I dont see any any key!
It is not easy to gear up, I agree. It is HUGE but that is not what kills it for me.
Censored.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
The itemisation gets on my nerves. Its even more complicated than PoE's.

And the areas just feel too big for the sake of it.

If you are talking about the amount of items dropping, the game has its own loot filter you can toggle. If you are talking about the stats on the items, then that is something I can understand. Would take time to get used to them and even more time to already know what stats to expect before even picking it up.

The areas may seem too big, but once you get used to playing a lot (if you ever reach this point), then it is actually smaller than Titan Quest. Never got used to playing TQ and would get lost plenty of times. It does not help that it would take forever to reach one waypoint to another.

"
k1rage wrote:

I probably dident play it enough

I only got half way through act 2 before getting board

everything Seemed to take forever to die

and i followed build guides that were highly regarded on their forums but it still seemed hard to get trash to fall over easily

Unless most of your gear slots is filled with twinked gears catered to the build you are focusing on (along with not allocatting to every skills in the mastery, eventually you will to go the PoE route, the one-two skill game), it will feel that way. My first build was like that since I had no gear prepared for me throughout the gameplay, it was literally a SSF experience. It is when I played enough out of my first build that I realized, I farmed enough gears to make two or three new builds and those builds will have a much easier time to leveling up. I recently leveled up a character (my 7th one) and at that point, I already had everything setup, like every gear slot, devotion point setup, and even what I needed to allocate in the mastery were all theorycrafted. I only took about 10 hours to complete normal difficulty compare to like almost 25 hours on my first character.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
If you are talking about the amount of items dropping, the game has its own loot filter you can toggle.
Is it like PoE's loot filter? Because the only thing I remember which could be called a loot filter was "show magic+, rare+ or unique+" option.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
silumit wrote:
Is it like PoE's loot filter? Because the only thing I remember which could be called a loot filter was "show magic+, rare+ or unique+" option.

Yea, "show magic+" is part of the loot filter in Grim Dawn.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
TQ has that too. I turn it off for the first few levels to get some white gear but after that, it's all magic+.

Okay, I think I have to admit to myself here. I'm just not getting pulled into this game at all. The lore doesn't interest me. The clutter of items and yes, the sheer number of item mods, is really distracting. Ah well. I guess this is why I didn't stick with it in the past. :)

Placing the loot filter to "rare+" in normal difficulty will pretty much get rid of the clutter of items since greens will not drop that frequently like yellows in normal difficulty. Greens almost becomes like yellows in terms of cluttering the screen in ultimate difficulty, but at that point, there are plenty of good rare items that drops, especially rare MIs that can used for crafting or upgrading. Now if you do not have much interest in MIs and have no issues getting iron bits, then "Epic+" is recommended in ultimate difficulty to keep the clutters to the minimum.

As for the sheer number of mods, it is more of a hit or miss. I personally find it as a hit for me since that is a lot more theorycrafting for me. :P

As for the lores, I admit, this is a low point for Grim Dawn. At least, there are not shoving the lores down our throat like in D3. Of course, it is not like PoE where the lores are very interesting. The lores of Grim Dawn falls in the lines of: if you care to read them or not and to gain more experience bar while in normal difficulty. I personally do not read the journals I find in the world of Cairns.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Jul 28, 2017, 12:48:30 AM
I think the lore is terrible in GD.
Censored.
PoE's story/lore isn't that great either. But story/lore isn't that important in an ARPG, IMO. It's about gameplay and mechanics.

TQ has a better lore and story than GD, but GD's gameplay and mechanics are superior to TQ by a pretty wide margin. TQ is really "clunky" compared to GD. I'm pretty disappointed in THQ Nordic with what they've done with TQ. TQ desperately needs work done on the animations, to make the combat more fluid; in other words, modernize the gameplay experience. For as old as D2 is, even it plays smoother than TQ.

You can knock D3 all you want, but when it comes to gameplay and fluidity, Blizzard knows how to nail it. The problems is, it fell short in the other areas.

Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Jul 28, 2017, 1:32:05 AM
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
TQ is really "clunky" compared to GD. I'm pretty disappointed in THQ Nordic with what they've done with TQ. TQ desperately needs work done on the animations, to make the combat more fluid; in other words, modernize the gameplay experience. For as old as D2 is, even it plays smoother than TQ.
Exact reason why my attempt to return to TQ failed about a year ago. After PoE I just couldn't get used to how clunky skill usage felt in TQ. Not to mention sometimes character just outright didn't execute skills for no apparent reasons. At least when you can't use a skill in PoE you know why it (doesn't)happen in 99% cases. GD is definitely better in this department, almost as good as PoE.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
TQ has that too. I turn it off for the first few levels to get some white gear but after that, it's all magic+.

The clutter of items and yes, the sheer number of item mods, is really distracting. Ah well. I guess this is why I didn't stick with it in the past. :)

You got more, better mods that roll on gear in GD than in PoE. Certain prefix/suffix only roll for green items, etc. You can't roll low level mods on higher level gear, either. Each prefix/suffix type has certain item level thresholds where it gets upgraded to the higher tier version.

This lists all the mods any specific gear type can roll, and which levels, etc.

https://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/items/Feet/

For example, you got:

Spoiler
Rampage

22% Bleeding Resistance

+30% Physical Damage

+30% Bleeding Damage

+25 Offensive Ability

Level Requirement: 67

Deviation: 15%

And:

Rampage

14% Bleeding Resistance

+22% Physical Damage

+22% Bleeding Damage

+22 Offensive Ability

Level Requirement: 51

Deviation: 18%

If the item level for the item that drops is 67, it'll roll the level 67 version every time, not the 51 version.

Another example is:

Spoiler

Devastating

+17% Burn Damage

+14% Fire Damage

+18 Spirit

+18 Offensive Ability

Level Requirement: 46

Deviation: 22%

And:

Devastating

15% Fire Resistance

+23% Burn Damage

+20% Fire Damage

+22 Spirit

+22 Offensive Ability

Level Requirement: 60

Deviation: 18%

The higher tier of the prefix gets fire resist added. There are a lot of other prefix/suffixes that get additional bonuses on higher tiers.

Some of them even have procs, % chance to activate on attack. Which means from ANY attack you do, from skills or otherwise. So the more hits you do in a short period of time, the more proc activations you get.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Jul 28, 2017, 2:24:26 AM
The name of the expansion for Grim Dawn has been unveiled.

The exact date for the release of the expansion has not been disclosed, but they are aiming to release it in Q3 2017, so either by mid to late August or somewhere in September.

source: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?p=526107

- raics, 06.08.2016

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info