Fundrils

2.0 Build
Link to thread.

1.3 Build
This build is my attempt to make a character that is a joy to play, the gear/tree is selected to maximize fun.

Offense & Defense Stats

7 Power Charges, Inc AoE

7 Power Charges, Inc AoE, Atziri Flask

Defense
4.0k Life 75/75/79/-60 Res. Arctic Armor, CWDT, Instant Leech.

Things that are fun:
* High DPS
* Crit
* Shattering all the mobs
* Fluid gameplay
* Not dying too often
* Using tendrils to level fast 1-90; no boring searing bond required

Clarification for new players

This is not a tanky build, and on a scale of glass cannon - tank it's 85% glass cannon. I do not recommend this as your first PoE build, since it relies on a lots of game knowledge to not die. Even with lots of game knowledge you will die more than other builds. This is not a hc viable build as it is written.

Most of our survivability is from using vaal pact and leeching our life back instantly. As long as we're attacking we don't die.

The reason I chose lightning tendrils is because its AOE damage is instant. It covers its full area immediately. This is different from projectiles that must travel or raging spirits that idle before destroying everything. It also makes you feel like a powerful mage who teleports in the middle of her or his enemies and shatters them all screaming "POWER OVERWHELMING!"

L90 Tree
Bandits: Oak/Kill/Alira

Tree Discussion

We take vaal pact in order to be able to survive reflect packs and reflect maps despite our high damage.
Leech arithmetic
We leech 8.8%x0.4=3.52% of our damage with a L20 LL gem. We have 84% lightning resist with Saffell's (only used in reflect maps), in 18% reflect maps we take 0.16*0.18=2.88% of our damage as reflect. The surplus leech helps cover the fact that we don't leech the cold/lightning damage from our Heralds. If we encounter a ele reflect pack in a reflect map, and pop a topaz flask we will take 32%x6%=1.92% of our damage, so we can easily outleech that as well. In normal maps we have 79% resist, if we encounter a reflect pack and pop a topaz we take 0.11*0.14=1.54% of our damage, easily covered by our 3.5% leech. We can even handle the reflect pack without poping the topaz if we don't use heralds.

We take all the AOE nodes we can get in order to maximize the amount of area we cover when we cast. This also lets us use concentrated effect without increased area of effect when we choose to.

Other than that we get all power charges, spell crit, and crit multi. We choose cast speed over spell damage when possible to help deal with reflect.

We sprinkle in a bit of mana regen to help sustain casting lightning tendrils and arctic armor.

Inner force, double curse, and aura nodes are ignored.

Gear, Gem Setup & Discussion

The increased AOE and extra gore make this armor BiS for fun. This gem setup may be suboptimal. I am still in the process of experimenting with gems. One thing is that tooltip DPS doesn't necessarily mean more clearspeed.

5L: LT - LL - Conc - Castspeed - Penet

AOE, Crit, Spell Damage. The AoE lets us get away with using concentrated effect without inc effect. Alternatively we could use rare daggers or wands with lightning leech, but this wouldn't be as fun. Saffell's is only used for reflect maps. Non-legacy is fine. Rathpith is a safety option. It may be possible to do reflect maps with Rathpith instead of Saffell's as well. ATM I'm testing the rare daggers with leech vs. divnariuses for reflect maps.
3L Light warp for mobility
3L ice spear of generating charges in curse immune maps, or when you need to sustain charges in between packs.

Life, Res, Crit Multi, Spell Damage, and some Mana regen. All good stats to have. Doedre's is used for +1 curse, which adds a lot of DPS, and saves a lot of skill points. Windscream are better than doedre's but good rare rings are much harder to find than good rare boots.

Headhunter is BiS for fun, but Doryani's is actually better since it gives us consistent res, DPS, and leech.

DPS. We use CWDT and AA to mitigate small and medium physical hits. Rare gloves are only used in ele weakness maps.

We use RM-HoI-Clarity-PoL. Clarity is to help with regen. PoL is to help with reflect. And HoI is to shatter stuff, it is amazing.

Herald of Thunder Curse on Hit is amazing. Assassin's mark lets us get reliable power charges since we kill lots of monsters fast. Elemental weakness adds DPS, it could be replace with enfeeble but that's no fun. We get all of this on a cast and forget buff, no manual casting, no corrupt maligaro's.

Atziri's promise can be replace by a resist flask in a +cold or +fire damage map.

Highly recommended for sustaining power charges in prolonged fights like atziri or map bosses.

Credits

Thanks to PeppermintButler, and Sherkhan for discussion and advice.
Redditor /u/spiralsandjeremy for suggesting faster casting in place of empower.
All my builds /view-thread/1430399

T14 'real' clearspeed challenge /1642265
Last edited by MatrixFactor on Jul 11, 2015, 10:12:15 PM
"
MatrixFactor wrote:

Leech arithmetic
We leech 8.8%x0.4=3.52% of our damage with a L20 LL gem. We have 84% lightning resist with Saffell's (only used in reflect maps), in 18% reflect maps we take 0.16*0.18=2.88% of our damage as reflect. The surplus leech helps cover the fact that we don't leech the cold/lightning damage from our Heralds. If we encounter a ele reflect pack in a reflect map, and pop a topaz flask we will take 32%x6%=1.92% of our damage, so we can easily outleech that as well. In normal maps we have 79% resist, if we encounter a reflect pack and pop a topaz we take 0.11*0.14=1.54% of our damage, easily covered by our 3.5% leech. We can even handle the reflect pack without poping the topaz if we don't use heralds.

The mechanic of VP is: Leech from the first target-take damage from the first target-leech from the second target-take damage from the second target-...
As leech precedes damage taken you also have to calculate if a hit that deals max damage (a crit with max rolled values] reflects more damage than your max life/ES. Just comparing leech and damage rates won't tell if one can survive the first reflect wave.
"
Bada_Bing wrote:
"
MatrixFactor wrote:

Leech arithmetic

The mechanic of VP is: Leech from the first target-take damage from the first target-leech from the second target-take damage from the second target-...
As leech precedes damage taken you also have to calculate if a hit that deals max damage (a crit with max rolled values] reflects more damage than your max life/ES. Just comparing leech and damage rates won't tell if one can survive the first reflect wave.

Thanks, I'll verify this once I get L20 gems and know what my max per hit damage is. Since Lightning tendrils is split into 4 hits I think we should be fine, I am also fine in practice.

Replaced empower L4 with 17/20 faster casting. Gained around 5k DPS and better leeching (more smaller hits).

Added a video of Palace Dom.

Updated Gear & Tree & Stats. Posting new screenshots when I get L20 gems.

Nice guide, i was wondering if this is staff variable where i go up into the global crit chance and multiplier aka serpent stance. What do i lose out if i were to use a staff, right now i chaos'ed a staff with +2 lightning gem 74 spell dmg 18% cast speed and 34 spell crit chance, im trying to make use of that staff.
Good stuff, and affordable. I wonder what the dps would be like if you had the money for Voltaxic Rift instead. That way you'd deal mostly Chaos damage, you wouldn't have to worry about reflect, and you'd get a bunch of points back on the tree since you wouldn't need Vaal Pact. The tree's kinda similar to this build of the week.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
Last edited by Tempada on Nov 17, 2014, 8:13:50 AM
"
emoListic wrote:
Nice guide, i was wondering if this is staff variable where i go up into the global crit chance and multiplier aka serpent stance. What do i lose out if i were to use a staff, right now i chaos'ed a staff with +2 lightning gem 74 spell dmg 18% cast speed and 34 spell crit chance, im trying to make use of that staff.

Staff is a possibility but you'd have to do the math to compare a +3 staff vs +2 with spell dmg/cast/spell crit/multi vs a pledge of hands. Once you take vaal pact you can push your DPS without worrying about reflect, and in theory a staff would be much more DPS than daggers/wands.

"
Tempada wrote:
Good stuff, and affordable. I wonder what the dps would be like if you had the money for Voltaxic Rift instead. That way you'd deal mostly Chaos damage, you wouldn't have to worry about reflect, and you'd get a bunch of points back on the tree since you wouldn't need Vaal Pact. The tree's kinda similar to this build of the week.

Yeah voltaxic is an interesting idea. It would allow us to do reflect maps easily, but the build can handle reflect packs in non-reflect maps easily as is. I don't think the points on the tree would make up the lost DPS from losing two daggers for one quiver. Also divinariuses let us use conc effect without inc effect, which is +DPS. Also instant leech is significant for survivability (see videos facetanking atziri trio & palace dom), on a build that is very fragile. I do think voltaxic would work well, but it would be a different build, and not necessarily the kind of fun gameplay that I'm looking for. :)

Hey. Loving the build. Would Voidbringer work as gloves - or is the mana penalty too big?... or is Maliagro's simply better?
"
rakal wrote:
Hey. Loving the build. Would Voidbringer work as gloves - or is the mana penalty too big?... or is Maliagro's simply better?

DPS with void and malis is about the same (void is slightly less), so voidbringer is just high mana cost for no benefit.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info