Vaal Fragment Changes in 1.2.4d

I'm sure I'm not the first person to post this, but you should probably revert the nerf to vaal orb drops. I'm not sure what exactly the motivation was originally - certainly, vaal orbs were trading very low at the start of SotV; but people didn't understand all the things they could do. Then you introduced master-crafting with vaal orbs, and now this. I think your original drop rate would have been great, had you given people time to understand all the ways they could be used (and waited, because in the first few weeks, price was depressed by people trading them just to buy stuff, but a lot of the "uses" for vaals are end-game and don't get into full swing until L20 gems (or even 20/20 gems) and L78 maps are in play).

ign: @Tashur
"
obadonke wrote:
It's unfortunate that the game is balanced around farmers but I guess it's a necessity in a game that wants to protect its economy.

So, whilst there appears to be an increasing amount of content that I will probably never see as a casual player, I am thankful there is still enough enjoyment for me in the content that's not gated behind a "play-wall".

my feeling exactly. a good design consists of fun activities for casual players which can't be exploited by min-maxing it with an infinite amout of playtime and some content for power players to not get bored.

nobody here made any good suggestions on how to better restrict access to endgame without discriminating midgame or endgame players. the current solution is just fine, if normal endgame bosses would drop fragments, sets would soon sell for a fusing like 98% of all unique items.

and although it wasn't mentioned by chris, i'm sure the chance to drop a midnight is dependent on the map's level.

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
geradon wrote:
i'm sure the chance to drop a midnight is dependent on the map's level.

Stop making things up...
In game contact @MajorAsshole

Challenge T-Shirt: 4/6 | Full Challenge Totems: 21/27
"
geradon wrote:

nobody here made any good suggestions on how to better restrict access to endgame

Because maybe, there is no reason to restrict access to endgame, for character capable to do endgame?

This:

"
Chris wrote:

If we had them drop while players were running regular maps then they'd merely stockpile them and occasionally get some free Atziri runs out of their existing play.

Made me laugh like never is last weeks... unfortunately it was quite sad laugh... Yea, what would be if players could play just because they can and are willing to. Whole precious econmeh would probably collapse!

Anticipation slowly dissipates...
I am running most of the time solo and I am trading very rarily only if I really need something or want to test something...
But with current chance of dropping VO I don't see a difference for self found. Or for any temporary league.

In new league you will farm like crazy regular corrupted zones again, if you will be lucky enough to drop a lot of useless vaal gems use the VO recipe and then use it for what exactly? To possibly get fragments you should already have from previous farming?

If the corrupted map boss would have also 10%, 5% chance to drop the VO it would be reasonable change.
Last edited by MnauVMikrovlnce on Nov 10, 2014, 11:17:47 AM
So i've read alot of these posts on this thread. Some of them I completely disagree with, some I do agree with.

But, if this is going to be a change for the long run, I do agree with one thing 100%.

Change Vaal orb drop rates, alternatively; Make a recipe, that allows us to gain value back from corrupted items (nothing too OP) for example...20q stone hammer and a whetstone gives us a chisel, something of similar could be beneficial and perhaps calm the hoardes.

people can science all they want with a larger quantity of Vaal orbs obtained from doing everyday path of exile things. With the right amount of increasements in gaining vaal orbs of some sort, keeping it so people can use them as they please, obviously if they go absolutely mental, they will need to buy more from the players who want to get other currencies if they're not fussed/have something more important to obtain with their limited currency pool.

E: as for (e)conemehz...It may drop their potential value of increasement from the new update/s, but in all honesty, it should do no more than balance the increasement these updates have put them to. Depending on how easily obtainable they are, maybe slightly reduce their price (in all fairness is nothing too horrific)

Bai

Last edited by Malum95 on Nov 10, 2014, 11:21:26 AM
Let me see: Common fragments go for 1c, vaal orbs go for 2c and are going to go even higher with this change. So, for like 2,5c, I get a chance to get a fragment worth 1c or a worthless vaal gem that will never sell, and a really small chance to get a midnight.

The only time anyone is ever going to use this shit is on carto boxes, and I guess maps that were worth vaaling before this change (I rarely vaal maps, it's extremely rare that it's worth it) will give you a fragment, basically a chaos orb if you'd have bought it instead. Even using them on cartos isn't that beneficial lol, it's like 5 fragments at most. This only makes us farm more low lvl content, but for cartos instead of corrupted areas now.

Half assed as always, unless a vaal orb drop rate buff is coming.

edit: Some suggestions that would keep GGG's change, but make it less worthless:
- make a fragment drop every time a map drops in a corrupted map (maybe make midnight chances higher in high lvl maps)
- increase vaal orb drop rates

And a suggestion that would probably erase all complaints: Make them spawn in maps.
Old april 2012 account got stolen
Last edited by Freeslana on Nov 10, 2014, 11:33:20 AM
"
Freeslana wrote:
Let me see: Common fragments go for 1c, vaal orbs go for 2c and are going to go even higher with this change. So, for like 2,5c, I get a chance to get a fragment worth 1c or a worthless vaal gem that will never sell, and a really small chance to get a midnight.

The only time anyone is ever going to use this shit is on carto boxes, and I guess maps that were worth vaaling before this change will give you an extra chaos orb. Even using them on cartos isn't that beneficial lol, it's like 5 fragments at most. This only makes us farm more low lvl content, but for cartos instead of corrupted areas now.

Half assed as always, unless a vaal orb drop rate buff is coming.

Exactly this you are just raising the price of vaal orbs. It would be nice if corrupting strongboxes gave a chance to drop at least it is something we already use vaal orbs for.
ign slashzilla
"Buy when there is blood on the streets, even if the blood is your own."
Slashzilla Reave Guide- http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/514128
SALES THREAD-http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/524661
http://gyazo.com/da6159e17a1ec3710b9cb8601a145a9a
"
sidtherat wrote:
"
boof wrote:
lol

Anyone that was mass farming fragments via abusing load times or whatever other methods will be continuing to do so.

+1

GGG. you see your game by the eyes of people tha will never tell you 'you are wrong'. These people time and time again led you to bad decisions.

This one iant bad. It is insignificant.

End game players will buy frags from noobs/farmers as usual. No change.
Farmers will still use load tricks/hacks - no change.

Why corrupt a map if the gain from it for such high price is irrelevant? Current meta == blue maps up to 75. Why risk hard mods and clear slowly and spend currency rerolling? The currency used to roll maps can be used to buy maps instead. Vaaling maps makes little sense in normal gameplay

But +1 to vaaling cartho. If one finds it..

Agree. Too expensive to vaal maps to get fragements and too risky to get shit rolls. Other then to vall a low level cartobox, but they are really rare, you'll find 1 in 1 week and will get 10 low lvl maps, that you will run in an hour, for 10 fragements. People who do end game will still buy fragements as was mentioned, and newbies will farm for them, players who low on currency and dont want to spend hours farming docks will suck balls
If I dont reply to you - I dont give a flying duck about your opinion

If you dont reply to me - I dont care either because I dont come back to see who replied to me
Does putting a vaal fragment in the map machine count as a map? I guess the only way to know would be if you have gotten a lv67+ map drop inside.
Last edited by Khisanth on Nov 10, 2014, 11:56:36 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info