~ Does the Bow Damage nodes affect Puncture?

Edit: Please pardon my ignorance.
Thx Mark.
TY to those who called me out on my BS on these forums. There is no benefit to being so selfish as to fail to acknowledge others' differing beliefs of what "should be" or believe your own opinions so supreme as to be factual and thus dismiss others' opinions as being somehow a lie or delusional.
Last edited by Perfect_Black on Nov 6, 2014, 2:19:55 AM
"
CantripN wrote:
To put it simply, I think Puncture's Bleed being affected by Physical/Global Damage is just as stupid as Ignite being affected by Fire/Elemental Damage. Those very same modifiers affect the base damage, and should not apply again.

These two sound like they are double dipping even by Mark_GGG's definition- a single modifier being applied twice to one value (the DOT). The ignite or bleed damage gets the mod applied once for initial damage calculation where a ratio initial damage is used, and again since the DOT has the same element. The DOT already has the modifier baked in from the initial damage having been increased.

Mark's explanation seems to rely on some awkward aliasing of variable names in reference to his definition of double dipping. If we look at a character with 30% increased fire damage (M=1.3), the character fire damage will be proportional to M, while an ignite caused by this character's fire damage will be proportional to M^2. If we think of ignite damage as a single value, then that value has clearly double dipped from M because there's a new exponential term. From what I can gather, Mark appears to be making the argument that it is impossible to view ignite damage as an aliased variable. How it can be impossible when so many people think of it that way is beyond me.
"
PolarisOrbit wrote:
These two sound like they are double dipping even by Mark_GGG's definition- a single modifier being applied twice to one value (the DOT).
The modifier is only applying once to the DoT. There is a side effect on the base value of the DoT caused by the modifier applying to the initial hit, but that doesn't have the effect of the modifier on the DoT.

"
PolarisOrbit wrote:
Mark's explanation seems to rely on some awkward aliasing of variable names in reference to his definition of double dipping. If we look at a character with 30% increased fire damage (M=1.3), the character fire damage will be proportional to M, while an ignite caused by this character's fire damage will be proportional to M^2.
No it won't. Because the effect of actually applying the modifier to the DoT increases it by the value of the modifier (stacking additively with other applicable modifiers). Whereas the "effect" that applying the modifier to the initial damage has doesn't apply that amount of increase. There's a whole host of other steps involved between the two that change the value further, such that saying it's square is mathematically untrue except in one specific case where there's no other modifiers in place and no mitigation of any sort - which I don't even think is possible in the game.
I dont get the point. It is neither OP nor broken. GGG wanted it to work like this, and the change is one year(!) old.

We have variety of damage nodes that work with different skills in different ways. They create diversity and reward players who have game knowledge. Would having only brainless general damage nodes and modifiers that work with everything be better (when using extreme example) ?

some skills can create secondary effects that are not directly related to the skill. bleed and burn base damage comes from initital damage. then all applicable modifiers aplly to it. it looks like double dipping but, technically, it isnt.

IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Oh I do not get it too :D. There are mechanics that actually enable certain builds, so there are more builds in the game, is this bad? And I wouldn't personally call puncture broken. People in this community are too fixated on "balance".
Let's be honest, puncture is only considered broken when it is coupled with insane crit multiplier (600+).

Don't think i ever saw a noncrit puncture build.
[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662
"
Mannoth wrote:
Let's be honest, puncture is only considered broken when it is coupled with insane crit multiplier (600+).

Don't think i ever saw a noncrit puncture build.
duration
People here are so enraged towards crit, I hope the devs won't ruin their game in response.

No, it's not crit, or not crit alone that makes it good. It is stacking all multipliers possible, like what snapshot summoners did.

I played with puncture too, went the ice shot proliferator route first, then respecced to split arrow. At that point puncture traps suddenly became weaker. Okay, I retraced what I did to find the issue - I gave up ~ 70% increased damage in the passive tree and the entropy cluster. Took most of that back and it did not help much. But there are also elemental statuses that are missing, some burning damage from hatred and shock from HoA + added fire damage.

So that is crit multi + phys proj attack damage + point blank + trap gem + shock. Wow. Remove one of these and it becomes not so good. Like make traps not work with point blank, though I fear no one would play this anymore then like no one plays these zombie spectre summoners anymore.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info