i have a hard time getting maps to drop

IMO your better off rolling your maps for max xp than max iiq with +%rare mobsters and or +% magic monsters which seems to be the only things that influence map drops even a little.

I don't chisel anything under 77 as it seems like a waste to me I'd rather sell the chisels for currency to buy more maps if it's 76 or lower.

77+ maps I chisel and transmute and then at until I get + pack size the I regal for a little exTra iiq and if I have extra sacrifice pieces I add those too. If you can get a big group together have people chip in to run zana map mods for either more iiq (one of them adds +40%) or add the shrines map mod wich adds more monsters which means more chances for maps to drop plus more xp.
IGN:Dethklok
lllllDanziGGlllll - 100 Ranger ~ HOGM
Mirror Service: View-thread/2479762
Old:870532
Is kinda sad but what works for me is to have 2 champions, one with some mf to get chaos and buy maps, and other to run the maps xD.
"
CutlassPair wrote:

Just go for volume. Run more maps and don't get discouraged. Volume beats rng.

I've build up a map pool (20+ 75+ maps) from scratch in almost every league. The only thing that gets there consistently is just keep running them no matter what.

Avoid over-rolling stuff. Once you have an ok set of mods, go with that. It's better to get ok mods, then spend loads of currency to get that extra 10-20%. 40c's on a box is too much imo. You might want to consider alt/aug + regal.

Volume? How do you think I got 15 76-78 maps? Volume! Played almost every day (since last October)... maps, maps and more maps. I don't overoll... my SRS char can handle just about anything. Alt-Regal... been there done that. You are one of the lucky ones. I am not.

You're right about the 40c though. I was getting pretty angry that I couldn't get good mods and I went too far.

"
Arthikas wrote:
@ greatwhitepine,
Map scarcity somewhere at the 80+ lvl is deliberate by GGG to force people into trading and partying. It is ridiculous IMO and not simply just random/RNG luck. I'm also convinced the entire game isn't truly "random", but is a skewed or weighted RNG according to whatever the game sees on your char and in your stash as you level up, in order to drag out your progress. Add that to the desync and the very inconvienent, time-wasting trading system and it becomes extremely frustrating to bother with this game.

You may be right... and I may be crazy (for playing so long). I've said it before... I have a better chance of winning at poker than being able to run high level maps consistently.
Last edited by greatwhitepine on Oct 20, 2014, 10:09:47 PM
I have a theory that X was caused by a completely unrelated Y.

FM did not nerf map drop rates. Please get that notion out of your head.

You can hit fairly long dry spells. When I first started mapping, it took MONTHS for my first 74 map to drop. Since then, no issues. Just keep plugging away, the maps will come.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
Why dont you simply buy maps?
The rates are completely related to your char level from what I've seen. Why then do drop rates plummet after you hit 80-81, and the real wall hits around 85-87 where many people give up on a toon they've tweaked and perfected for countless hours already? Grinding months to get a single 74 map drop? That sounds fun.

More like no-life monotony and utter frustration, aka insanity. The alternative is the stupid, equally irritating trade system. But better to keep the drones wailing 5,416 times on the same worn out content than make the game less punishing and create & release new content more often.
"
Volume? How do you think I got 15 76-78 maps? Volume! Played almost every day (since last October)... maps, maps and more maps. I don't overoll... my SRS char can handle just about anything. Alt-Regal... been there done that. You are one of the lucky ones. I am not.

"
9 76's, 3 77's and 3 78's

I wouldn't consider 15 maps across 3 tiers a significant pool. A self-sustaining pool more often than not comes from around 15-20 per level tier from my experience, to buffer against dry spells. As an example, yesterday I ran 6 78s (rolled for packsize and/or magic mobs), got around 5 maps in total with the highest being a 76 followed by a 74. I now have one or two 78s left, but also a buffer of 15 77s.

"
You may be right... and I may be crazy (for playing so long). I've said it before... I have a better chance of winning at poker than being able to run high level maps consistently.

I only really bother Chaos spamming to roll several quantity mods on Cartographers that I find in 77/78 maps. 76s I'm happy with just one or two such mods, 75 and below I don't really bother beyond the first Alch.

Also note that an inherent weakness in the "Alt-Regal" method of rolling maps is you seldom end up with a high +%qty on the map itself. This value directly affects the amount of additional maps that drop from Carto boxes. Try rolling +additional items as well as +% qty on a Carto in a +100+% map, and squeal in delight at the shower of maps that result.
I don't consider myself lucky at all. Just persistent. You just gotta keep going.

It took me over 1000 maps to get my first 77 map (this was back in 1.0 when a lot of the nice things we have now didn't exist). Now it only takes me a few hundred to get there, and probably double that to get a reasonable (10-20) pool. It has gotten easier with each league due to the additions they've made.
Knowledge is power.

It is always the same guys who break into the endgame and fast - coincidence? No.

You can rant all you want about how they're playing 24/7 but if the 24/7 guys reach early 90s within first week, it should be easily doable for even casuals over 3 months timeframe (actually, it gets way, way easier as the league progresses since later on you can buy high level maps relatively cheap).

It's not RNG when we have the tools to manipulate the numbers.
"
Arthikas wrote:
The rates are completely related to your char level from what I've seen. Why then do drop rates plummet after you hit 80-81, and the real wall hits around 85-87 where many people give up on a toon they've tweaked and perfected for countless hours already? Grinding months to get a single 74 map drop? That sounds fun.

*Rolls up newspaper*

SMACK!!!

NO! BAD!

Map drop rates are not affected by the following:

IIQ/IIR on your gear
The amount of people in your party
The position of Neptune relative to Venus
Your char level
What you ate for lunch that day
ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE MAP IIQ

For fucks sake, why is this so hard to accept?
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info