Another plea for color blind mode.

I've been asking for this for years, and the only answer I get back is "we are working on it." It really isn't that hard, as someone who makes games myself. So, I kinda wanna play with my friends...
Not trolling here, but what is the issue with color blindedness and the game?

Is it that you can't tell if your HP are going low?
"
ShacoFinder wrote:
It really isn't that hard[..]

I hope you realise the enormous variety in people's perceptions and limitations thereof. "Colour blindness" is not only an incorrect term for most people (it is usually... misperception iirc?), but also simply a really large catch-all for a host of different situations.

GGG has attempted, multiple times, to improve differentiation between colours, between Skill gems, sockets. Every single time, some people see a noticable improvement, while others are actually worse off - and that's just Gems. Making a single, unified "colour-blind mode" rarely happens in games (or media in general) with such varied colours because it is actually a difficult task, unless you take a cop-out greyscaling method (and that quickly muddles everything into one big unidentifiable gloop).

On top of that, they're constantly adding more stuff to the game, all of which would have to be altered to suit "colour-blind mode" as well. It only becomes more and more difficult to make this a reality as time goes on.

So, in all your developer wisdom, what would you do to make a grand unified colour-blind mode for Path of Exile? I am really curious.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
ShacoFinder wrote:

So, in all your developer wisdom, what would you do to make a grand unified colour-blind mode for Path of Exile? I am really curious.

Make different shape sockets (triangles, squares and circles)

Add a little dot to the gem icons in stash (e.g. upper left hand corner is blue gem, upper right is strength, lower right is dex, lower left is white)
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
ShacoFinder wrote:

I hope you realise the enormous variety in people's perceptions and limitations thereof. "Colour blindness" is not only an incorrect term for most people (it is usually... misperception iirc?), but also simply a really large catch-all for a host of different situations.

GGG has attempted, multiple times, to improve differentiation between colours, between Skill gems, sockets. Every single time, some people see a noticable improvement, while others are actually worse off - and that's just Gems. Making a single, unified "colour-blind mode" rarely happens in games (or media in general) with such varied colours because it is actually a difficult task, unless you take a cop-out greyscaling method (and that quickly muddles everything into one big unidentifiable gloop).

On top of that, they're constantly adding more stuff to the game, all of which would have to be altered to suit "colour-blind mode" as well. It only becomes more and more difficult to make this a reality as time goes on.

Quite hostile, unnecessarily so. But that's good. It gives a nice lever for my own. I just truncated my post since, after 50 posts with new suggestions each time just gets repetitive.

There are indeed several versions of color blindness. Yes, I am quite aware, even I have a minor version of it (shades of colors are near indistinguishable for me, but that's rarely affected me). My father completely lacks red color perceiving cells. One of my friends sees in entirely greyscale.
But, the term is a catch all. No one argued that. But, let's say it without relying on that term. "You need to solve this problem for red-blind, blue-blind, green-blind, grey-scale seers and all other versions of color perception impairments." Quite the mouthful. To be able to refer to something like that in a simple term is kinda the point of generalized terms.

Yes, they added borders to skill gems, which is just a flat out improvement for everyone. Outside of that, not much was noticeably changed. (But, as pointed out, I don't differentiate between shade of colors, so maybe they did change that. I am not 100% on that.) The borders, however, are quite small, and quite a few look a like, particularly auras. Not to mention, none of the borders specify if the gem is blue or green or red, or white or anything else.
I'd like an example of how this stuff was "altered". Because it's so clearly there, by what you said, it shouldn't be hard to give examples.

I'd like to know why you want a "unified" color blind system. As you yourself stated, there are different versions that should be catered to in at least some way.

If you want more examples of what can be done. Search "Color blind" (or "Colour blind" for those of you who use that spelling) in the forum search. However, here's just one thing they could do:
They could clearly mark each gem and socket. This could be in the form of a pop up tool tip, like is already done. Just add the color. And have the tool tip show up on empty sockets and show the color.
Even in the least user friendly of programming languages that are popularly used, this would only be a few lines of code.
This could also be in the form of adding actual markers that aren't color related to the gems and sockets. (Such as horizontal bar for red, vertical for green, and diagonal for blue.) This could mess with the aesthetics they try to go for, but that's why you should have it enable-able through the options menu.
I'm color blind as as cat. For most situations I would say the minority should adapt and cope with their weaknesses without requiring that the world change too much to cater to their needs.

"I kinda wanna play with my friends"

Sad panda, but

"I have a minor version of it (shades of colors are near indistinguishable for me, but that's rarely affected me)"

Can you play with with a minor color blindness issue?
A kid playing computer games can never be — and never has been — hardcore.
Last edited by ghoulars on Oct 16, 2014, 1:43:13 PM
"
ghoulars wrote:
I'm color blind as as cat. For most situations I would say the minority should adapt and cope with their weaknesses without requiring that the world change too much to cater to their needs.

I would agree if a major overhaul was required but as I see it the only areas in the game where color blind people might have a problem are gems and sockets. Both seem like they would be an easy fix that will help quite a few people.
"
vaskov17 wrote:

I would agree if a major overhaul was required but as I see it the only areas in the game where color blind people might have a problem are gems and sockets. Both seem like they would be an easy fix that will help quite a few people.

If you have a condition making it impossible to play the game, find something else to do. I assume people with MS would not require the game to change because it's to heavy on the mouse use. Or that completely blind people should have audible ques to guide them. Or that... And probably the only person asking for this admittedly "was somewhat inconsistent" about the seriousness of his condition to get his point across.
A kid playing computer games can never be — and never has been — hardcore.
GGG's choice of socket colors relies solely on differences in hue to distinguish red, green, and blue shades. The problem with that is that your eye's perception of hue can vary depending on the color of the background surrounding the socket, on room lighting, and on monitor settings. In addition, there is a pale specular highlight on the edge of each socket that bleaches out much of the saturation of the socket color, leaving only a slim edge of pure color. The result is that green and blue sockets often look quite similar under subdued room lighting, even for those with normal color vision. This is more often the case with monitors calibrated to display realistic colors rather than the unnaturally vivid colors displayed by the manufacturer's default monitor settings.

A more reliable option would be to distinguish colors by brightness as well as hue. Blue should be noticeably darker than red, and green should be the brightest of the three.
Last edited by RogueMage on Oct 16, 2014, 2:17:24 PM
"
AlfaTangOh wrote:
Not trolling here, but what is the issue with color blindedness and the game?

Is it that you can't tell if your HP are going low?

I appreciate someone who's simply seeking answers and not out for an agenda. It's mostly about the skill gems and sockets and what a pain in the ass it is when you can't see the colors

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info