Another plea for color blind mode.

"
tramshed wrote:
My room mate is color blind and this is a massive issue for him. Currently we have tweaked the monitor he plays on colors into some strange hues in order for him to more easily tell.

As for the just try the gem in all the sockets method, thats frankly tedious at best. It also makes him less efficient at currency generation since its pretty much impossible for him to tell if something is RGB linked and worth vendoring. Its also a major issue for him when hes trying to reroll colors on items.

The old sockets used to have different numbers of notches on them depending on the color, they should just bring those back. Its a simple fix they already have the art for, plus the old sockets looked better anyways.

Heres a pic of the old sockets

Erg. That screenshot is a headache and a half lol.
Haha, yeah, but its the only one I could quickly find that showed the old sockets. The gems back then were a major pain in the ass.

I cropped it for clarity.

HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Oct 16, 2014, 6:34:10 PM
"
ShacoFinder wrote:
I'd like an example of how this stuff was "altered". Because it's so clearly there, by what you said, it shouldn't be hard to give examples.

'kay. I can give examples. To start with: Skill Gems used to look exactly alike, except for the three primary colours used.
The exact colours used were pulled farther towards the extremes. Twice. Sockets received the same treatment, and lost notches. Socket borders were subsequently made thicker. Shapes and borders were changed; that change added more light/dark variation in Gem colours (the latter likely stylistic).

I don't recall the atmosphere surrounding the removal of socket notches. I know I never picked up on them being a distinguishing feature myself, but I lucked out regarding eyesight.

"
ShacoFinder wrote:
I'd like to know why you want a "unified" color blind system. As you yourself stated, there are different versions that should be catered to in at least some way.

You literally make a plea for "colour blind mode", implying a separate 'version' of PoE in some way. A single system is inherently unified.

Anyways, thank you for elaborating. Ideas can be worked with - blank pleas, not so much. :)
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
ShacoFinder wrote:
I'd like to know why you want a "unified" color blind system. As you yourself stated, there are different versions that should be catered to in at least some way.

You literally make a plea for "colour blind mode", implying a separate 'version' of PoE in some way. A single system is inherently unified.

Anyways, thank you for elaborating. Ideas can be worked with - blank pleas, not so much. :)

As a person with deuteranopia, the main areas where I have difficulty in-game are identifying 3L R-G-B items on the ground to pick up for vendoring, as well as rolling colours on gear while Chrom spamming. If I'm looking to roll BGGGRR, for example, I normally look out for the 1 blue socket (since that's the one I can positively identify at a glance) and then slowly stare at the screen to try and figure out if the rest are correct. Takes me a lot longer to roll 5L/6L colours, as mentioned by other posters. Other than that, the lost currency from not picking up free Chrom-equivalents, and the annoyance of seeing a scroll fragment when I pick up a G-G-B to vendor by mistake.

Unified systems definitely won't work, I've played several games with "colour-blind modes" before. Sometimes it helps a lot, other times it doesn't help in any way (even making it worse at times). Since there is a distinctly major form of colour-deficiency (deuteranomaly, 6% of males) I figure that a colour-blind mode could probably be worked out for that group. If it works for me as a minority, hey, all is well. If it doesn't, sucks to be me, but at least it should benefit at least half of colour-deficient players (since the severity of deuteranomaly itself is also a continuous distribution).
I am not color blind but have a lot of difficulty distinguishing currency/socket color/rares when those are on the ground. I think it is mostly my setup which makes everything very small (1080p at 8' away on a 46" screen). I would probably use a color blind mode if it worked well.
I've commented/posted on this issue several times as well but kinda gave up asking for this implementation.

Borderlands 2 (at least for me) had a new feature that solved my color differentiation issue on that game, they had modes that changed the hues and it worked.

Biggest issue for me is looking for the 3 different color links on the ground (for chromes). I really have to strain and refocus my eyes to see them on the ground. Yes, I can hover the mouse and eventually make them out, but in a huge loot-splosion, it's a major inconvenience.

Don't know why so many people push against this issue. If GGG made it a "player option" to change hue (not a global change that everyone would see), it wouldn't affect anyone but the player.

Why are people bashing a colorblind mode?
"
WarzClan wrote:
I've commented/posted on this issue several times as well but kinda gave up asking for this implementation.

Borderlands 2 (at least for me) had a new feature that solved my color differentiation issue on that game, they had modes that changed the hues and it worked.

Biggest issue for me is looking for the 3 different color links on the ground (for chromes). I really have to strain and refocus my eyes to see them on the ground. Yes, I can hover the mouse and eventually make them out, but in a huge loot-splosion, it's a major inconvenience.

Don't know why so many people push against this issue. If GGG made it a "player option" to change hue (not a global change that everyone would see), it wouldn't affect anyone but the player.

Why are people bashing a colorblind mode?

You must be new to these forums. One could say water is wet and you'll get five trolls trying to tell you otherwise. Just blow them off, most everyone else does.
HAIL SATAN!
"
tramshed wrote:

Heres a pic of the old sockets

Edited for clarity.
Reviving an old thread instead of making a new.

I see loads of threads even some more than 2 years old and still can't see why this has not been done yet.

I have no idea how hard it is to make. All i can say is i would love to have it.
My issues are not only sockets (which is a pain) when running maps having to keep up with a group i have no choise but to skip loot that is not rare or unique, making me miss out on lots of chrom's for vendoring, which is not the biggest problem.

For me, white items, currency (scrolls, orbs, exalted included) have the exact same colour which has cost me loads of currency, as late as today running a map where after clear i made a portal to run back when i saw 4 other ppl standing still at a point, i was thinking what's over there and guess what. an EX for me, ppl just tabbing the sucker waiting for me to port out cause i never saw it. the way i play is i have to read every single name that lies on the ground which in a room full of items makes it quite easy to overlook something. i dont want to think about what i have overlooked so far during my play time, i would guess quite alot.

so sitting here hoping that something would be done soon.
I have to weigh in on this in favor of some changes. I'm a new player, of about 2 months now. I'm red/green color "deficient" and aside from the same issues most people here are having with sockets, I also have serious problems seeing poison clouds and desecrated ground on some tile sets. The sockets are annoying, but the poison clouds have killed me.

I know this only affects a relatively minor portion of the population, but I'd like to point out that colorblind mode in games like battlefield 4 are often very popular choices even for players without colorblindness because they are typically higher contrast, easier to distinguish color choices that positively affect reaction times. It makes for an overall more visually appealing game.

I hope to see some type of change for this issue soon.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info