Another plea for color blind mode.

"
ghoulars wrote:
"
vaskov17 wrote:

I would agree if a major overhaul was required but as I see it the only areas in the game where color blind people might have a problem are gems and sockets. Both seem like they would be an easy fix that will help quite a few people.

If you have a condition making it impossible to play the game, find something else to do. I assume people with MS would not require the game to change because it's to heavy on the mouse use. Or that completely blind people should have audible ques to guide them. Or that... And probably the only person asking for this admittedly "was somewhat inconsistent" about the seriousness of his condition to get his point across.

Actually, yes. That's why people complain when keys aren't rebindable.
"
ghoulars wrote:
I'm color blind as as cat. For most situations I would say the minority should adapt and cope with their weaknesses without requiring that the world change too much to cater to their needs.

"I kinda wanna play with my friends"

Sad panda, but

"I have a minor version of it (shades of colors are near indistinguishable for me, but that's rarely affected me)"

Can you play with with a minor color blindness issue?

wow. The ignorance. When in the entire forum did I say it was a personal problem? In case you don't wanna read: never. This is not about my issue, which I even said was a MINOR version of it. It's about an issue that quite a large number of people (1/3 of the population) have in some way.

Yes. Let us minorities just adapt, and grow new eyes. This is a reasonable suggestion. Also, thanks for completely skipping over everything else just to try and take something out of context to prove your point.

Oh, let's play a multiplayer game without friends. Sad panda. (And one that suffers severely [read: desyncs] from being multiplayer)
"
ShacoFinder wrote:

wow. The ignorance. When in the entire forum did I say it was a personal problem? In case you don't wanna read: never. This is not about my issue, which I even said was a MINOR version of it. It's about an issue that quite a large number of people (1/3 of the population) have in some way.

Yes. Let us minorities just adapt, and grow new eyes. This is a reasonable suggestion. Also, thanks for completely skipping over everything else just to try and take something out of context to prove your point.

Oh, let's play a multiplayer game without friends. Sad panda. (And one that suffers severely [read: desyncs] from being multiplayer)

Not to go science on you, but approx. 8% of males are color blind, with the majority being within the slight to moderate severity.

I would guess that less than 10% of the 8% are unable to play this game with the current color scheme. That is 0,8% of the total male population. Of course a number i made up, but the reality is that only a fraction of color blinds are currently unable to play the game. And these unlucky souls should try doing something else. They are not evolutionary adapted to POE.

I do admit to being severe in my views. I just don't like that the majority has to adapt to every weakness/ailment people suffer from. And that is not coming from a perfect specimen of the human race.

Edit: I apologize for misrepresenting your views and motivation. You have not said anything about this being your disability or personal issue.
A kid playing computer games can never be — and never has been — hardcore.
Last edited by ghoulars on Oct 16, 2014, 3:46:32 PM
"
AlfaTangOh wrote:
Not trolling here, but what is the issue with color blindedness and the game?

Is it that you can't tell if your HP are going low?

Its the red/green gems. I'm not color blind but sometimes I cannot tell the difference between them due to poor eyesight. Having one of them a brighter or darker green/red color would be helpful.
theory-shadow: http://tinyurl.com/l3nu76x | puncture
"
ghoulars wrote:
"
ShacoFinder wrote:

Not to go science on you, but approx. 8% of males are color blind, with the majority being within the slight to moderate severity.

I would guess that less than 10% of the 8% are unable to play this game with the current color scheme. That is 0,8% of the total male population. Of course a number i made up, but the reality is that only a fraction of color blinds are currently unable to play the game. And these unlucky souls should try doing something else. They are not evolutionary adapted to POE.

I do admit to being severe in my views. I just don't like that the majority has to adapt to every weakness/ailment people suffer from. And that is not coming from a perfect specimen of the human race.

Edit: I apologize for misrepresenting your views and motivation. You have not said anything about this being your disability or personal issue.

Yes. Right. 8% are color blind. I was thinking of motion sickness. Derp.
About half of that 8% suffer from mild colorblindness, and "the other 50% have moderate or severe anomalous conditions" (http://www.colourblindawareness.org/).

Of course, they can stop playing (and thus funding PoE). And they have. It's not worth the frustration that this company doesn't want to fix a very simple issue. And it's certainly not worth their money.
I mean, it is so damned easily solved that it's insane to think that it's not in a game so focused on colors.

Actually, the majority wouldn't have to adapt at all, if that's what you are worried about. If anything, it wouldn't affect anyone outside of those who are color blind, and that one person that would spend 5 minutes writing the code.

Drunk drivers are the minority. We shouldn't have to adapt to them. Those who are infected by HIV/Aids and afflicted with Breast Cancer are the minority. We shouldn't help them. Those with degenerative diseases are the minority. We shouldn't do anything about them.

I can't stay angry when someone actually admits their mistake. Actually kinda wish you didn't so that I could be angry at you lol. :)
Don't see an issue for gems, they all have different icons and you can hover the mouse over them to get the name and stats....

Socket colours I can see being a slight issue - do they all look the same colour or what? But again you could just get 3 different colour gems and try them in the sockets to see what colour they are. A bit annoying yes but nothing major.
"
ghoulars wrote:
"
vaskov17 wrote:

I would agree if a major overhaul was required but as I see it the only areas in the game where color blind people might have a problem are gems and sockets. Both seem like they would be an easy fix that will help quite a few people.

If you have a condition making it impossible to play the game, find something else to do. I assume people with MS would not require the game to change because it's to heavy on the mouse use. Or that completely blind people should have audible ques to guide them. Or that... And probably the only person asking for this admittedly "was somewhat inconsistent" about the seriousness of his condition to get his point across.

There is a huge difference between blind and color blind. If you need to use extreme examples to prove your point, then you don't really have a point at all.

Making gems and sockets easier to see for color blind people is a quality of life issue that is no different than any other QoL issue. Think about what QoL additions you'd like in the game and then imagine other people want different one to make it easier to play. Don't be so quick to tell color blind people to go away.
My room mate is color blind and this is a massive issue for him. Currently we have tweaked the monitor he plays on colors into some strange hues in order for him to more easily tell.

As for the just try the gem in all the sockets method, thats frankly tedious at best. It also makes him less efficient at currency generation since its pretty much impossible for him to tell if something is RGB linked and worth vendoring. Its also a major issue for him when hes trying to reroll colors on items.

The old sockets used to have different numbers of notches on them depending on the color, they should just bring those back. Its a simple fix they already have the art for, plus the old sockets looked better anyways.

Heres a pic of the old sockets

Edited for clarity.
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Oct 16, 2014, 6:33:44 PM
"
pengant wrote:
Don't see an issue for gems, they all have different icons and you can hover the mouse over them to get the name and stats....

Socket colours I can see being a slight issue - do they all look the same colour or what? But again you could just get 3 different colour gems and try them in the sockets to see what colour they are. A bit annoying yes but nothing major.

However, gems don't state their colors anywhere in their description. So, even if you could differentiate the tiny icons on the gems, that still doesn't tell you their color. And, god help you if you asked global chat for help. They'd tell you it was yellow (more than once, my friend accidentally clicked global instead of whispering to me).

PoE wiki works because it separates the gems into "Str" "dex" and "Int", and you can eventually figure out that those mean red, green, blue. However, for the same reason I say that the trading system is broken: you need an outside program (ie. something not directly implemented) in order to make it work. I mean, you can link to a wikipedia if you want, but have it contained within the game.

Of course, this gets onto a different issue, so I will not further talk about that bad game design.

So, with that problem of the gems still there, your solution for the sockets doesn't really work.
But, that aside...you're suppose to do the color check every time you chrom something? Well, fuck six linking....or 4 linking. No way you'd do 18 checks each time you chrom something, just to have it not be the right colors.
"
pengant wrote:

Try rolling colors on your 5L or 6L item with that reasoning ;).

Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info