[Discussion] Does bloodrage give lowlife players an unfair advantage over CI/life based builds?

"
symban wrote:
Anyone saying LL should have such advantages are silly. Why do you think RF deals damage based on Life AND ES.

Blood Rage should do the same, dealing chaos damage based on Life AND ES. Then they may keep the ias.

Are you serious? RF and bloodrage perform at a totally different level, RF is a main + augment skill while BR is an augment skill only.
"
Shogen wrote:
"
symban wrote:
Anyone saying LL should have such advantages are silly. Why do you think RF deals damage based on Life AND ES.

Blood Rage should do the same, dealing chaos damage based on Life AND ES. Then they may keep the ias.

Are you serious? RF and bloodrage perform at a totally different level, RF is a main + augment skill while BR is an augment skill only.

Following that logic, lets put a version of BR which is just a augment skill that deals damage based on ES only.

See what I did there?
"
symban wrote:
"
Shogen wrote:
"
symban wrote:

Following that logic, lets put a version of BR which is just a augment skill that deals damage based on ES only.

See what I did there?

So fast turning defensive. :) There's no discussion with closed minds. RF and BR functions differently. Shavs bypass chaos dmg, so penalty for dealing the chaos damage on es is already happening.
Last edited by Shogen on Nov 2, 2014, 7:21:51 PM
Ultimately the problem with LL isn't the attack speed, or any of the other bonuses it gets; it's just bad end-game progression, and the fact that it's pretty much only softcore players complaining about LL is a pretty good indication of this.

In hardcore leagues, the trade-off is actually important: you lose a LOT of tank by going LL.
Consider that simply switching from LL to CI is a difference of ~460 flat ES on the chest alone (if you can afford a shavs, you can afford a 900+ES chest), 16% MORE ES, and chaos immunity. It seems then that the trade-off is fairly straightforward; when you go LL you trade damage for survivability.

The problem shows up more in softcore leagues, where death is annoying, but not game ending. In SC, there's basically a set amount of survivability you want to aim for, and then no real incentive to surpass it. That dual strike build that people use to kill atziri, the gear costs what, 3 exalts tops? You'll never need more tank than that, regardless of what you're doing.

Let's say, for arguments' sake, that in order to do well in mapping you need to be able to be able to survive ~10k incoming DPS in short bursts and have ~40k EHP. Once you have this, there's no real reason to keep going. If I can up my damage or up my tank, why would I choose the latter? And so people build for damage. THAT's why all the crazy expensive builds go LL. I can make a character tankier then any of them for a tiny fraction of the cost, but why bother? What benefit is there to building tank at all?

So yeah, given an infinite supply of currency, LL is going to win out in softcore every time, because trading tank for damage is a no-brainer if you can do it without dying.

As for how to actually FIX the problem; some end game areas that aren't so heavily item locked would be a nice start. Maps with challenging mobs other than the bosses. Maybe some new bosses with extremely high unavoidable single target dps.
"
Cambarus wrote:
Ultimately the problem with LL isn't the attack speed, or any of the other bonuses it gets; it's just bad end-game progression, and the fact that it's pretty much only softcore players complaining about LL is a pretty good indication of this.

In hardcore leagues, the trade-off is actually important: you lose a LOT of tank by going LL.
Consider that simply switching from LL to CI is a difference of ~460 flat ES on the chest alone (if you can afford a shavs, you can afford a 900+ES chest), 16% MORE ES, and chaos immunity. It seems then that the trade-off is fairly straightforward; when you go LL you trade damage for survivability.

The problem shows up more in softcore leagues, where death is annoying, but not game ending. In SC, there's basically a set amount of survivability you want to aim for, and then no real incentive to surpass it. That dual strike build that people use to kill atziri, the gear costs what, 3 exalts tops? You'll never need more tank than that, regardless of what you're doing.

Let's say, for arguments' sake, that in order to do well in mapping you need to be able to be able to survive ~10k incoming DPS in short bursts and have ~40k EHP. Once you have this, there's no real reason to keep going. If I can up my damage or up my tank, why would I choose the latter? And so people build for damage. THAT's why all the crazy expensive builds go LL. I can make a character tankier then any of them for a tiny fraction of the cost, but why bother? What benefit is there to building tank at all?

So yeah, given an infinite supply of currency, LL is going to win out in softcore every time, because trading tank for damage is a no-brainer if you can do it without dying.

As for how to actually FIX the problem; some end game areas that aren't so heavily item locked would be a nice start. Maps with challenging mobs other than the bosses. Maybe some new bosses with extremely high unavoidable single target dps.

just a note: if you're fully built in low life, Acuity makes you immortal. If there were more Acuity in HC then low life would be essentially no trade off there too.
+1 Shavs Project -----> /1075009
+1 Acuity Project ----> /990159
#1 6 t1 Wand FOE BITE (5 perfect mods) SOLD /1031745
The Tale of Foe Bite --->>> http://tinyurl.com/o6ox7an
"
JakeAlmighty wrote:

just a note: if you're fully built in low life, Acuity makes you immortal. If there were more Acuity in HC then low life would be essentially no trade off there too.

I think I recall you post you died at lvl 99 as low life wander, immortal my ass.

All what acuity give you is instant leech, a fraction of second desync on map like double -max dominus and you dead, since you failed to leech.
IGN: MsAnnoyance
"
JakeAlmighty wrote:

I realize how overpowered those gloves are, but at that point you're talking about a build costing 300+ exalts just for the chest and gloves, requiring the ability to farm the hardest boss in the game to acquire.

More importantly though, the problem there is 100% with the gloves, rather than LL. They make you virtually unkillable if you're going crit (another area in which balance is sorely lacking).

The funny thing is I was genuinely impressed when I first learned how LL worked, I thought it a good solution to the problem games often have where there's no reason to build anything other than damage and leech, since you get more clear speed and more tank at the same time, but these gloves completely negate that.

That said, I'm not horribly upset that 200 exalt gloves are overpowered, especially given how you obtain them.
Why doesn't the cast speed from BR apply globally tho, only the attack speed?
Shop closed until further notice. Check out my Dominus musical tribute instead:
https://soundcloud.com/hackproducer0815/dominus
"
qquno wrote:
"
JakeAlmighty wrote:

I think I recall you post you died at lvl 99 as low life wander, immortal my ass.

All what acuity give you is instant leech, a fraction of second desync on map like double -max dominus and you dead, since you failed to leech.

I did take a death at lvl97 - in a Vorici mission where I was being an idiot trying to open that dumb chest while the Rogue Exile snuck up on me and then killed me. If I had right clicked one time I would not have died, but like I said - I was being dumb.

I ALSO died at level 95 - I was rolling a strongbox in a -max res map, and one of my idiot teammates ran in and clicked the thing and it happened to be on Ice Nova. Ripped 5/6 people including himself.

Those are the only kinds of deaths you would ever take - to prove the immortal in Ambush league I did 94 --> 95 entirely in Alluring Abyss, and I did it deathless. Easily. If you are paying attention, the gloves make you completely immortal.

Yeah, they are overpowered. They are apparently being "balanced" by rarity now. Glad I own 20+ of them and the +1 gems pair I guess.
+1 Shavs Project -----> /1075009
+1 Acuity Project ----> /990159
#1 6 t1 Wand FOE BITE (5 perfect mods) SOLD /1031745
The Tale of Foe Bite --->>> http://tinyurl.com/o6ox7an

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info