[FIX] A few solutions to common problems

The Vista fix works for me. No more errors.

Thank you so much!
Completed 8/8 Challenges Ons/Ana
8/8 Challenges Nem/Dom #1 Templar Nem/Dom
6/8 Challenges Invasion/Ambush #1 Templar 2 Week Race
8/8 Challenges Beyond/Rampage & Bloodlines/Torment #1 Templar BL (lvl100)
IGN: BeerBeastTheBurninator | 8/8 Temp/Warb | 32/32 TalismanHC | 40/40 PerandusHC
Unfortunately i have this crash on entering ship graveyard too on all my characters. strangely i can sometimes enter there through a partymember's town portal (ie they go in, create a portal and i enter it from town) but each and every time i go through the " official" entrance loading screen *plunk* error box and crash.
(xp proffesional sp3 3 GB ram radeon hd7450)

The fix in this thread unfortunately does nothing on my system but simulate not having any graphics driver installed. (i dont think i need to describe the sluggish desktop graphics we all see just after a fresh windows install starts up first time ;) its exactly the same... ) If i start POE with the /3gb added to the line in boot.ini, it just plunks back to desktop after a brief run of the pre-game patcher with the "cant find 3d device" message someone posted earlier, so even if i put up with the crap desktop performance to favour POE, no joy there either.

Too bad really, i really like this game but i cant even get out of act 1, tho i must say even that much is fun and addictive... cant wait for this issue to be resolved so i can go wild in that huge juicy skilltree :D

Just thought id report what happens for me, maybe someone has a use for the info.
Last edited by fionn_ on Feb 19, 2013, 2:55:35 PM
"

Unfortunately i have this crash on entering ship graveyard too on all my characters. strangely i can sometimes enter there through a partymember's town portal (ie they go in, create a portal and i enter it from town) but each and every time i go through the " official" entrance loading screen *plunk* error box and crash.

The fix in this thread unfortunately does nothing on my system but simulate not having any graphics driver installed. (i dont think i need to describe the sluggish desktop graphics we all see just after a fresh windows install starts up first time ;) its exactly the same... ) If i start POE with the /3gb added to the line in boot.ini, it just plunks back to desktop after a brief run of the pre-game patcher with the "cant find 3d device" message someone posted earlier, so even if i put up with the crap desktop performance to favour POE, no joy there either.

Too bad really, i really like this game but i cant even get out of act 1, tho i must say even that much is fun and addictive... cant wait for this issue to be resolved so i can go wild in that huge juicy skilltree :D

Just thought id report what happens for me, maybe someone has a use for the info.

That's quite odd. Sounds like an assumption made by your video driver that is the real issue.
"The problem is there ARE secure netcodes" -- Pewzor
Could you list the steps for windows 7. The list for WinXP doesn't work.

Windows XP
Go to Control Panel then System
Select the Advanced then Startup and Recovery
Click the Edit button which will now open boot.ini
Edit the following line
"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect"
So that it reads
"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect /3GB"
Restart your computer.
"
Could you list the steps for windows 7. The list for WinXP doesn't work.

Windows XP
Go to Control Panel then System
Select the Advanced then Startup and Recovery
Click the Edit button which will now open boot.ini
Edit the following line
"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect"
So that it reads
"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect /3GB"
Restart your computer.

Follow the steps for "Vista and later"

"

Windows Vista or later
Open the command prompt (cmd.exe) with administrative privileges
Enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072" and hit enter.
Restart your computer
"The problem is there ARE secure netcodes" -- Pewzor
Can't believe this worked. Got through an entire act 3 run last night with no errors. Thanks a lot man.
i'm on Windows 8 and it wont let me do this, says it could not be open and access is denied, full admin account

/ignre got it to work I had to right click and select run at admin to open cmd promt !
Last edited by Taz47 on Mar 6, 2013, 4:09:26 AM
"
fionn_ wrote:

The /3GB switch will allow programs to use you entire memory (as you only have 3GB), the unfortunate side effect of this on systems with low memory 3GB or less is that you videocard no longer can reserve it's memory (Videocards memory is also used in available address space)

Under a 32 bit OS, you have 4GB total (OS) and 2GB per application.

Under a 64 bit application, 32 bit apps are still capped at 2GB - but if its large address aware (the 2GB+ flag i mention above) then it can use upto 4GB of ram/address space per program.

Under a 32 bit operating system (XP, vista 32) you have 4GB of address space available. Address space is different to the amount of memory in your PC.

The reason a 32 bit system can only use 3GB (or 3.25GB, or whatever number you get) of system ram is because it doesnt have enough address space left. Video cards are the most important part of a PC that uses address space.

If you had 4GB of system ram and a 1GB video card under a 32 bit operating system, each individual program could only use 3GB of that system ram (due to the video card using 1GB of address space) However there is something else most people are NOT aware of.
Under DirectX 9.0C (and lower) video card ram must be duplicated into system ram. That means if you're running on the highest settings with your new shiny 1GB video card - that 1GB of video memory must be duplicated leaving you with only 2GB left for your game.

You just went from 4GB to 2GB, only considering a single 1GB video card. Things only get worse in SLI and crossfire.

Under 64 bit you wouldnt have lost that initial 1GB of ram to the address space, so you'd have 3GB of usable ram, with 1GB used in DX9.0C games. All of a sudden those modern games which border on 1.5-2GB of ram usage are playable, without your system running like a dog.

Side note: It should be noted that DX10/10.1 does not duplicate video memory into system ram. DX10 actually helps to alleviate this issue, if your system is powerful enough to run games in DX10.

Side note 2: There is more than just video card ram that affects this. System page file uses address space, as do various parts related to the BIOS (RAID cards, sound cards with onboard ram, etc) - this is why with a 512MB video card your 32 bit OS may report 3.25GB of ram - 256MB was taken away for everything else
Well I did this and it seemed to work I could play act 3 with out crashing when zoning, but now I have a worse problem, my game just hangs on the load screens :( I looked up how to reset /set IncreaseVa and did bdcedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa but its sill the same and my system seems wierd and slow and crashs when using other programs

any help would be great im on windows 8 with 4 gig ram.
"
Emjayen wrote:

Windows Vista or later
Open the command prompt (cmd.exe) with administrative privileges
Enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072" and hit enter.
Restart your computer

just tried this, it says the boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is denied

what should i do?

*EDIT*
nevermind i ran the cmd as administrator and successfully edited the bcd
hope it works out :)
Last edited by jinc46 on Mar 18, 2013, 9:12:40 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info