[FIX] A few solutions to common problems

Best solution, have 0 crash now.

btw is there really no drawback for using the command? just wondering will it hurt my pc
"

Best solution, have 0 crash now.

btw is there really no drawback for using the command? just wondering will it hurt my pc

The main caveats involve poorly written and/or legacy drivers which means the worst case scenario is that you'll experience sporadic BSODs.

In any case you can always revert to the standard setting if you have any problems.

EDIT:
It is also possible for application software to malfunction. However, just as with drivers, it's the fault of the developer.
"The problem is there ARE secure netcodes" -- Pewzor
Last edited by Emjayen on Mar 11, 2015, 5:58:40 AM
[ game. The following information is based on heuristics and some rough analysis of the game internals and thus no guarantees are made.

Symptoms
Your game crashes containing one of the following terms within the error message:

"MapViewOfFile"
"E_OUTOFMEMORY"
"Map Chunk"

Cause
[ The userland address space for 32-bit processes is insufficient to map required portions of the content archive. ]

Correction: It's simply because absolutely everything is allocated on the heap...

Applies to
32-bit builds of Windows.

Solution
- Extend the userland address space using the /3GB boot switch.

Windows XP
Go to Control Panel then System
Select the Advanced then Startup and Recovery
Click the Edit button which will now open boot.ini
Edit the following line
"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect"
So that it reads
"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect /3GB"
Restart your computer.

Windows Vista or later
Open the command prompt (cmd.exe) with administrative privileges
Enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072" and hit enter.
Restart your computer

Remarks
Using the /3GB does not solve the problem however it will delay the onset.

The game's address space becomes extremely fragmented; tracing needed.

The developers have pushed a design problem that should really be solved by them onto Windows.

--

Symptoms
You experience a system crash containing the one the following strings:

"BugcheckCode 278"
or
"BCCode 116"

Cause
Your video card or driver has exceeded the threshold set by Windows that determines a hung device.

Applies to
Windows Vista and later (x86/x64)

Solution
- Resit your video card.
- Ensure it's physically configured properly (e.g, sufficient power supply, auxiliary power - supply is avail.)
- Lower the load on the card by reducing rendering settings (particularly resolution)
- Reduce the game's process priority to low.

- You can also disable the system responsible for raising this fault by setting/adding the following registry value

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
Value: TdrLevel
Type: DWORD
Data: 0

Remarks
This is most likely a false-positive; Windows interpreting a high latency pushing frames to the monitor due to a heavy workload as the card being hung.

Also possible is due to the number of threads utilized by the game in conjunction with poor driver implementation of reentry/synchronization; a quick check shows alot of kthread lock contention.

[/quote]quote="Emjayen"]This is a compilation of solutions to common issues players are having with the
"
Emjayen wrote:
This is a compilation of solutions to common issues players are having with the game. The following information is based on heuristics and some rough analysis of the game internals and thus no guarantees are made.

Symptoms
Your game crashes containing one of the following terms within the error message:

"MapViewOfFile"
"E_OUTOFMEMORY"
"Map Chunk"

Cause
[ The userland address space for 32-bit processes is insufficient to map required portions of the content archive. ]

Correction: It's simply because absolutely everything is allocated on the heap...

Applies to
32-bit builds of Windows.

Solution
- Extend the userland address space using the /3GB boot switch.

Windows XP
Go to Control Panel then System
Select the Advanced then Startup and Recovery
Click the Edit button which will now open boot.ini
Edit the following line
"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect"
So that it reads
"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect /3GB"
Restart your computer.

Windows Vista or later
Open the command prompt (cmd.exe) with administrative privileges
Enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072" and hit enter.
Restart your computer

Remarks
Using the /3GB does not solve the problem however it will delay the onset.

The game's address space becomes extremely fragmented; tracing needed.

The developers have pushed a design problem that should really be solved by them onto Windows.

--

Symptoms
You experience a system crash containing the one the following strings:

"BugcheckCode 278"
or
"BCCode 116"

Cause
Your video card or driver has exceeded the threshold set by Windows that determines a hung device.

Applies to
Windows Vista and later (x86/x64)

Solution
- Resit your video card.
- Ensure it's physically configured properly (e.g, sufficient power supply, auxiliary power - supply is avail.)
- Lower the load on the card by reducing rendering settings (particularly resolution)
- Reduce the game's process priority to low.

- You can also disable the system responsible for raising this fault by setting/adding the following registry value

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
Value: TdrLevel
Type: DWORD
Data: 0

Remarks
This is most likely a false-positive; Windows interpreting a high latency pushing frames to the monitor due to a heavy workload as the card being hung.

Also possible is due to the number of threads utilized by the game in conjunction with poor driver implementation of reentry/synchronization; a quick check shows alot of kthread lock contention.

up, this actually solved the MapChunk error meanwhile I try to grab another Windows version

ty
Back to The Melee (Reaving Insight): view-thread/1240462
Fusion Skill Engineering: view-thread/1095291
Symptoms
Getting Exception/Runtime Errors
"Microsoft Visual C++" is mentioned in the Error-Window name (Runtime Errors; Exception Error windows won't show anything else).

Cause
Whether it is a "bad communication" between PoE's code and MVC++ or an issue with Microsoft Visual C++ itself, I unfortunately am not skilled enough to tell.

Applies to
Probably everyone (if the requirements are met).

Solution
Step 1: Go to your Windows System Control -> Software and check whether there is any Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable version later than 2010 installed. If yes, uninstall every version later than 2010 (note that games that require later versions to play also will require to reinstall these versions if you want to play them).

Step 2: Go to your Path of Exile/_CommonRedist/vcredist/2010 folder and run the x86 file (for 32bit systems) or x64 file (for 64bit systems) and choose the repair option.

After that, PoE should not produce any Exception/Runtime errors anymore.
Last edited by Salumba on Mar 20, 2015, 2:55:29 PM
"
Salumba wrote:

Cause
Whether it is a "bad communication" between PoE's code and MVC++ or an issue with Microsoft Visual C++ itself, I unfortunately am not skilled enough to tell.

I tend to assume it's a MVC++ issue, because when I started Final Fantasy VIII (steam version) that worked on the same system just a few weeks ago without any problems, it produced a "Cannot create usual Direct3D device" Error at start, resulting in termination of the launching process. Then I repaired the MVC++ 2008 version and voilá, it works with no issues. Til now PoE seems to not be affected by "reactivating" the 2008 MVC, but I'll keep an eye on it.
Says that the boot configuration data store could not be opened.
Access is denied.
Very helpful, thanks ALOT man!
@Meme
Works perfectly! I am using windows 7 32bit and i have 2GB ram,and it works perfectly with no problems,thanks a lot mate!
"
Emjayen wrote:

"

Using a 32 bits system and never heard of the first solution

and what does this mean
"The game's address space becomes extremely fragmented; tracing needed."

?

Just copy and pasted from notes I made; not of much interest to players.

What if we're computer science majors? I'm certainly curious about the way that handles.

Plus I'd like a bit more of an explanation with it to know what I'm getting myself into. Bit of a shame GGG seemingly can't really fix the memory issue.
Last edited by Jackinthegreen on Jul 15, 2015, 1:31:13 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info