[1.3 Beyond/Bloodlines/Hardcore] "Budget" Ondar's AA Phys Wander aka. The Wandarcer

Thanks, and glad you're enjoying it!

One of my original concepts from before the league (and one sad, dead, level 87 witch) was running Rathpith & Rainbowstride.

If you want to keep using Arc for longer, going for spell block is great to mitigate reflect, but for the wander build it adds nothing.

In a HC league, you need to achieve a life pool of 5.5k+ life to be relatively safe against one shots, and tricky situations in 78 maps. If you dedicate your amulet, shield, and boots slot to spell block, you won't get anywhere near this amount of life.

You'll also have to run Grace (drop Hatred) since you're dropping the 2k evasion shield, significantly reducing your DPS, not to mention that one of your main DPS sources (the amulet) needs to be swapped for Stone.

So, in the end, you can realistically achieve around 48/48 block, at the expense of your overall hitpoints, and probably halving your DPS. Once you start gearing up as wander, you'll understand just how important every single gear slot is for the overall build (especially for DPS).

DPS is a defensive mechanic in itself, once you can freeze everything.

By level 97, the build has taken every available life node, and nearly every DPS node. You'd have to drop either max life, or DPS, in order to fit block in.

I've reached level 91 on my new wander now, and she feels great again :). I've dropped quite a lot of dps this time around though (7k AoE, 27k single target), but am running level 20 AA, and MoM for 5.5k effective life. With a little respeccing I could be back to ~9k AoE, ~34k single target, with 4.8-4.9k life.

I feel like she handles OK when solo, and when in parties (with more auras) DPS goes up to 15k+ AoE, 40k+ single target. I tend to play with together with a SRS witch (Hatred+Generosity, Haste), which just makes content stupidly easy to freeze, and allows me to run Wrath.
ALT+F4, YOU FOOLS!
Last edited by atlimar on Oct 27, 2014, 3:02:24 PM
what are your thoughts on the new Herald of Thunder gem for this build?
My level 9 herald of thunder gem is almost as strong as my level 18 herald of ice gem, is it worth replacing since Grace is used for freezing mobs and not herald of ice?
At level 91, I have enough mana unreserved to run all 3 heralds + Clarity + Hatred. The addition of that gem was a pretty sick DPS boost.

However, I'm running the MoM version, so I'd rather have some mana unreserved (~680 right now), so I haven't ended up changing my setup around.

I was toying with the idea of using Herald of Thunder with Curse on Hit, but we can't spare the 4 link required for it.

I'm not playing very much now that the league is nearing its end, but I will probably respec to the DPS version (with Herald of Thunder) just to have some more fun, though the MoM version is a LOT tankier. I'm thinking I'll reach 10-12k dps, even though my gear is worse than when my old char died.

In short, my thought is that Herald of Thunder is great, and you can absolutely run it with the build, but it's not build changing :). Herald of Ice really does help with freezing on the single target skill, so if you'd like to drop a herald, I'd suggest Ash (Ash is only better than Ice with a really good wand).
ALT+F4, YOU FOOLS!
"
atlimar wrote:
Thanks, and glad you're enjoying it!

One of my original concepts from before the league (and one sad, dead, level 87 witch) was running Rathpith & Rainbowstride.

If you want to keep using Arc for longer, going for spell block is great to mitigate reflect, but for the wander build it adds nothing.

In a HC league, you need to achieve a life pool of 5.5k+ life to be relatively safe against one shots, and tricky situations in 78 maps. If you dedicate your amulet, shield, and boots slot to spell block, you won't get anywhere near this amount of life.

You'll also have to run Grace (drop Hatred) since you're dropping the 2k evasion shield, significantly reducing your DPS, not to mention that one of your main DPS sources (the amulet) needs to be swapped for Stone.

So, in the end, you can realistically achieve around 48/48 block, at the expense of your overall hitpoints, and probably halving your DPS. Once you start gearing up as wander, you'll understand just how important every single gear slot is for the overall build (especially for DPS).

DPS is a defensive mechanic in itself, once you can freeze everything.

By level 97, the build has taken every available life node, and nearly every DPS node. You'd have to drop either max life, or DPS, in order to fit block in.

I've reached level 91 on my new wander now, and she feels great again :). I've dropped quite a lot of dps this time around though (7k AoE, 27k single target), but am running level 20 AA, and MoM for 5.5k effective life. With a little respeccing I could be back to ~9k AoE, ~34k single target, with 4.8-4.9k life.

I feel like she handles OK when solo, and when in parties (with more auras) DPS goes up to 15k+ AoE, 40k+ single target. I tend to play with together with a SRS witch (Hatred+Generosity, Haste), which just makes content stupidly easy to freeze, and allows me to run Wrath.

Thank you for your informative response. Nice to hear your thoughts. As I suspected, and have witnessed myself from playing elemental wander, there just isn't enought room in terms of both items and passive nodes. I ended up not going with the +40 life from Oak just to have the opportunity to switch to CI should I ever be able to. Time will tell if that was a big mistake or a smart move...
CI requires a very different build as you need to pick up Unwavering, Vaal Pact, and Ghost Reaver, but since you need less ES nodes than life nodes, it should work out fine despite the extra points. I wouldn't recommend going CI until 90+, though, so you might as well have the 40 extra life to survive until then, and then respec the bandit choice.

Mana sustain becomes a new issue without EB, though it isn't that bad with easily accessible leech on gloves/tree nowaways.

The pro's of CI is that you get to run CoE & Blood Rage, and a nice ES+spell damage shield, the con's are that you'll be running less DPS auras, as you need to run Discipline, and have no OP life flasks.

Personally, I love the new life flasks and the ability to run level 20 AA with EB, and have yet to feel the need of the larger CI "life" pool.

I have the currency to make the full respec to CI, but I'm really not sure if it's worth it. Maybe I should try.

Edit,
This is probably what my CI/CoE tree would look like (can pick up Conduit for parties, auras would be Hatred+Discipline, or 2x Herald + Discipline depending on unreserved mana issues):
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA37DfioIQ6QJLrhsl2VttGRFQNbmnKx1PLR_FKEyzlSD2W1AwaxfB81m8216CHqKjFLB_xg_EmmHBxRzcEZY7fMJzx8r67yy_kycOSAceuMpzcMlE_GSGrrQMY0Nd8pUun4i-7kqaFdfqukZx8uG293DV8NX25z9zogRWYw18gwlHBisKidNJUc5wbOdvntvnES9wUgmgnKTKSl9qKguHE1FM8-p3B6xHtUh9W21sBiMqTed0Nj0fQT8n2xqdquywAx5KyBB7bIyMCxa_bqq-Orl8tfKpbngNKjhYrzboOlIOPJ_L
ALT+F4, YOU FOOLS!
Last edited by atlimar on Oct 29, 2014, 10:37:46 AM
i'm currently lving for that build.
What bosses/maps/mods should we stay away from?
I skip no regen and blood magic. You can run half regen by simply slotting in a lower level Arctic Armour.

Since it's HC, I generally don't run monster damage mods on 77/78 maps, or while levelling, and what curses you want to/can run is up to yourself, I would skip Vulnerability in Beyond.

I just did double boss Piety in Shrine, and I've soled the Courtyard trio. I've killed all Beyond unique bosses except Abaxoth and Na'em (the phys one, his spears wreck us in 75+ maps).

I haven't tried Palace Dominus or Megaera (and wouldn't), and have to be very careful on Residence Dominus. Other than that, you can eventually run most bosses just fine. Personally, I don't think Orchard, Villa, Museum, Jungle Valley, Torture Chamber, Labyrinth or Necropolis bosses are worth the trouble, but they are doable. It really depends on your DPS, if you get it high enough, nothing will be a problem.

This build is not particularly tanky, so while it can survive one or a few hits from dangerous bosses, I suggest fighting them intelligently. We rely on agility and crowd control by freezing, and, of course, killing stuff as fast as possible.

Early in a league I prefer to chicken out of any boss fight I don't feel ready for, and just grind out more maps, but at this stage I don't much care and run most bosses even if they can be risky. For most of them it's more about knowing their mechanics, eg. not face tanking Shrine Piety's ice arrows or lightning storm, and then doing your best.
ALT+F4, YOU FOOLS!
Last edited by atlimar on Oct 30, 2014, 5:17:00 PM
YO! Nice build, really like the write up too - easy to follow for newer players. Just wanted to say that, and I might give it a go in the next race / temp league (passive tree permitting).
Last edited by dandan88 on Nov 20, 2014, 6:38:19 AM
Thanks :). I'll most likely update the build theory once the new tree & patch notes are released. If they nerf spells I'll have to update the levelling guide as well.

Pure speculation, but I'm kinda expecting a nerf to crit, so crit based builds might be harder to pull off next league.
ALT+F4, YOU FOOLS!
So I caved and lvld this now instead of waiting... had all the uniques to make it nice and easy. But now I got the problem of no one trading in HC so getting a wand is proving difficult... same with shield.

Need a few more lvls but I can run through 66-68 maps atm.

This is all just stuff I had in my stash, so really budget to setup for me. Just using Maligaro's until I get some more lvls and the better wand nodes. Then i'll probs switch to these:

All wands better than mine on xyz have b/o of 10 ex or more :(
Last edited by dandan88 on Nov 22, 2014, 12:50:23 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info