POE on console?

I am actually playing POE with a PS3 gamepad already (carpal tunnel, can't play with mouse)

It's not impossible and its does feel quite right.

- Left Analog for movement, feels like classic zelda or other topdown games, no problems there, although it does require that you dedicate the 1 button to move only (haven't yet played a class where I run out of action slots, and I usually set town portal to 1)

- Right Analog for aiming, I used an app made for D3, then decided to make my own to add some improvements, basically I define a radius and a dead zone, so when I move the analog, it will move within an ellipsis area (circle transformed to 16:9 to better match the actual game area)

- I use the trigger and bumper buttons for any skill that requires aiming, then square, triangle and circle for any melee skill or any other skill that won't require aiming, all my skill buttons are mapped to "shift + key"

- I set the X button to show items so I pick them up while I move

- D-pad + start are used for potions

- Select is used as Esc key, but could be used as the switch weapon set key

for my own specific reasons I use L3 as Ctrl and R3 as mouse click, but could be changed to detonate mine or other things

So far the only Cons I consider to have are:

- Inventory management is done with mouse
- Cherry picking items from clutter is a lot better with mouse (although most of the time I just press X and move over the item I want to pick)
- Trading is done with mouse

however, I value the Pros more than those
- Can use a gamepad so I don't screw my carpal tunnel
- Combat does feel more fluid, specially for melee builds

I use Xpadder for all buttons - keys assignments
I use my own "ARPG Movement Simulator" app for movement and aiming, I still want to improve that one so hopefully one day it actually replaces xpadder and I only need to use 1 app to simulate my gamepad for ARPGs

You do not need pixel perfect accuracy for these games, you only need good enough accuracy. I do believe that this game could be ported to console, and I certainly know it can be made to work with gamepads.

If you really need more buttons, you can change one of the trigger or bumper buttons to a modifier button, and then you have 2 actions per any other button, I don't really se the need (at most I have used 3 to 4 skills on a build) but it can be done.

"
mazul wrote:
All Super Mario 3D games for controllers were based on jumps and movement in 3 dimensions, which shows that "platform games" where movement to reach specific coordinates with controllers, is very much doable and can feel great.

You're proving that a game that has always been played with a controller, can be played with a controller. Redundant.

"
mazul wrote:
Of course someone that has little experience with 360 degrees movement with sticks will have a harder time adjusting to such movement scheme than people who've had a lot of experience with such from other games.

It's not about experience. You're adding a new level of abstraction to something already at the limit.

"
mazul wrote:
"The click-click-click" part of the game is not an integral part of the game, it is not a necessary condition for being an action rpg. And yes, when converting it to a controller scheme, the "click click click" feeling should be removed.

Following your logic, this could be Path of Exile without touching any integral part of the game::

(It's also an Action RPG)

No game can be defined as just "an ARPG" without missing 99% of its core features. One of these core features is that among the ARPGs, it's a "Point and Click ARPG".
@Weberto I'm sorry for your problem, however the experience you're having is totally different to the one we have.

The only option I see for PoE being ported to consoles involves something similar to Kinect, and it still requires some sacrifices.
"
Salzwer wrote:

No game can be defined as just "an ARPG" without missing 99% of its core features. One of these core features is that among the ARPGs, it's a "Point and Click ARPG".

Feature:
"2.
something offered as a special attraction:"

Is GGG putting emphasis on offering "Point and click" as an attraction?

To quote GGG:
"Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast. We're a small independent team of hardcore gamers based in New Zealand and have created Path of Exile as the game that we'd want to play ourselves. It is designed around a strong barter-based online item economy, deep character customisation, competitive PvP and ladder races. The game is completely free and will never be "pay to win". If you'd like to play, just create an account."

From that statement it shows that GGG at least considers "Action RPG", "barter-based online item economy", "deep character customisation", "competitive pvp" and "ladder races", "completely free" and "never be pay to win" to be central aspects of the game.

I am very much under the impression that "point and click" is just a control scheme they chose out of convenience but not "something offered as a special attraction" and thus not a feature in that sense.

As for the Mario example: it answers the question "Can a controller be used well for 2-dimensional movement including jumps/leaps?" and the answer is yes. And yes, just like your practice with typing quickly on a keyboard makes you able to type faster, experience with controllers makes you able to control your characters better with such.

This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
Does that mean that an unadvertised the game doesn't have any feature?

About the Mario stuff, it still has nothing to do with the current PoE discussion. As I've said, the only similar stuff in consoles is Kinect.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info