Pass or Fail gameplay sucks

My health globe goes from full to empty instantly when I die. I have 4300 hp and MoM. Basically, I think GGG has done a poor job balancing dps vs HP, and continues to make it worse. After 1.20, dps is way up, and hp is down. I'm running around 1 shotting everything, then getting 1 shotted myself. Reflect is a build diversity hindering joke in POE. I'm NOT a glass cannon build.

Examples of pass/fail situations:

You hit a box with Explodes, desync and can't whirling blade away - RIP
You hit a box with a reflect pack and cant see the aura - RIP
GGG adds Boxes to further reduce game performance - RIP
You hit reflect pack with spell build (instead of the OP phys/crit/VP) - RIP
and the list goes on...

Bad game performance with no end in sight
Game balance is working in circles and has no direction
No reward in drops (still)
Meanwhile GGG adds 3d art to some vendor unique...

I'm sorry, but I just can't take this game very seriously anymore.

Have fun kids. I'm going to give Torchlight 2 a shot.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Use lightning warp, smoke mine, quartz flask.

"
SL4Y3R wrote:

I think what I need to do is stop being creative with my builds and do phys/CI dagger like everyone else.
"
beefnuggy wrote:
"
SL4Y3R wrote:

I think what I need to do is stop being creative with my builds and do phys/CI dagger like everyone else.

I'm using shock wave totem. Tyvm
Dont open boxes then if u cant handle them. I agree that they desync but nobody force you to open that shit.
"
azoriuss wrote:
Dont open boxes then if u cant handle them. I agree that they desync but nobody force you to open that shit.

I agree. Skipping content has certainly got me levels. In fact, its probably the best skill a player can have.
Dude, strongboxes desync and everyone knows that. You take a risk when you open them. I dont force you to skip all content, just strongboxes, especially if your PC isnt very good. I have desyncs only when exile/stream monsters are in box.

Only cartographer and orb box are worth the risk :)
Use a quartz flask and you won't get rubber banded back. Your client thinks you got through monsters but the server says you didn't. With a quartz flask, both will say you got through the monsters.

Since I've started using a quartz flask, I have not once died opening a box.

Unless you use a Koam's chest, I think you have at least as much life as you would have had in the old tree. Getting 50% more life per level seems to have been overlooked. A level 81 character has 320 more base life than before.

How much free mana do you have? MoM is only useful if you have mana available to act as life. With 4300 life, your free mana should be 1843, giving you 6143 effective life. At 14% reflected damage assuming you have absolutely no mitigation would mean that you would have to do 43,878 to one-shot yourself. More if you actually mitigate some of that damage. If I did that much damage, I bet I could figure out how to deal with reflect instead of blaming the game for letting me get my DpS so high.

I hope torchlight 2 is more to your liking. Haven't played it, but if it doesn't require skill to deal with game mechanics, I don't think I'd like it much.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
mark1030 wrote:

I hope torchlight 2 is more to your liking. Haven't played it, but if it doesn't require skill to deal with game mechanics, I don't think I'd like it much.

Game mechanics, or bad programmers?
"
mark1030 wrote:
Use a quartz flask and you won't get rubber banded back. Your client thinks you got through monsters but the server says you didn't. With a quartz flask, both will say you got through the monsters.

Since I've started using a quartz flask, I have not once died opening a box.

Unless you use a Koam's chest, I think you have at least as much life as you would have had in the old tree. Getting 50% more life per level seems to have been overlooked. A level 81 character has 320 more base life than before.

How much free mana do you have? MoM is only useful if you have mana available to act as life. With 4300 life, your free mana should be 1843, giving you 6143 effective life. At 14% reflected damage assuming you have absolutely no mitigation would mean that you would have to do 43,878 to one-shot yourself. More if you actually mitigate some of that damage. If I did that much damage, I bet I could figure out how to deal with reflect instead of blaming the game for letting me get my DpS so high.

I'm going to give the quartz flask a shot. Thanks for the suggestion. This still feels like hacking broken game mechanics a bit, but alright.

I have only 300 mana left to feed MoM, but get mana on hit from Thief's torment. I also have Phase acrobatics. The idea is my mana will be pegged when I'm attacking, and it is. I can see why this wouldnt help much whirling away from a box. Otherwise it helps vs reflect and overall works well. It's a weird build defensively, and has impressed me. Reflect isnt an issue with flasks, but it erks the shit out of me when I scan a room for reflect, dont see it, and still die. Then I see a reflect mob's ground effect wasn't visible because it was covered by many other ground effects. This is frustrating.

My main complaint is with how instantaneous game situations play out. Like I'm equipped to handle situations, but have no time to react. I think good game mechanics allow the player to fight for their life, not just pass or fail. I realize this involves player skill, and I'm actually not that bad (several mid 90s toons), but those stupid deaths at high level are driving me insane.

Regarding Torchlight 2, I feel there are some epic battles. Packs can hit hard and bosses can be deadly. The battles take longer (maybe 5 minutes for a boss), and give the player time to act strategically and counter situations. But the game itself just doesnt have the interest level for me like POE does. If POE would keep its core concepts and move toward that style of gameplay I believe it would be a great game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info