[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Made it to level 72 playing just a few minutes each day. :)

I decided to incorporate enfeeble for hard hitting bosses only. (Casting it on everything would be too much like work.)

So, I finally got around to socketing my axe. Finding or crafting a better weapon seems difficult!

I used a couple jeweler's and 6 fusings (not very good luck) to get it to 3-link:

A few chromatics (I have tons) to get the right colors.
I rarely post but I have been following this build since Anarchy. Like you, I play a few minutes a day during the weekdays and a few hours during the weekend. Reality bites sometimes. :) The "lazy" title got me looking but as I continued reading, I realized that it actually suits my play style. Like many others on this thread, I have found it to be fun and easy to modify.

I am now level 70 and I just finished Merciless Piety. I feel that I'm now at a crossroads with this build and I'm now seeking the advice from the pros on this thread. First my skill tree:

As you can see, it follows the main lazy pally build mostly with a few minor changes. My primary skills are Infernal Blow + Splash for groups. HS for single target. I use flammability as my main curse for IB.

My stats are:

Life: 3.4K
Tooltip DPS: 3.1K for IB, 4K for HS
Resist: 75% all
Block: 66% with Tempest Shield

Now for the questions.

1) I'm debating if I should go for 75% block or whether 70% will suffice. Any opinions here?
2) Should I go for more physical DPS by taking the 3 nodes that include strong arm (+44% physical)
3) I'm short on dex which does mean that I should head towards diamond skin to at least pick up another 20 to 30 dex. Should I range further than that towards Ondar's Guile?
4) Should I take the remaining life nodes in the Marauder area? or should I stop where I am now?

I'm guessing that I will probably get to level 82 or so with this character before I switch. This means that I will have another 13 passive points. That will allow me to get to Ondar's Guile and pick up a few more life nodes. However, any suggestions would be great!

Once again, thanks for sharing this great build! I'm really enjoying it!

"
Dwarg wrote:

1) I'm debating if I should go for 75% block or whether 70% will suffice. Any opinions here?
2) Should I go for more physical DPS by taking the 3 nodes that include strong arm (+44% physical)
3) I'm short on dex which does mean that I should head towards diamond skin to at least pick up another 20 to 30 dex. Should I range further than that towards Ondar's Guile?
4) Should I take the remaining life nodes in the Marauder area? or should I stop where I am now?

Once again, thanks for sharing this great build! I'm really enjoying it!

Thanks for posting! I'm glad you are enjoying. :)

Answers:

1) 70% is fine. That's about when I noticed it was powerful. But, why not max it.

2) Strong arm is fine, but you would have to give up something to get it. Maybe give up static blows unless you deal good lightning damage (as I do, but it's still a low priority). I'd say the DPS on a good weapon and leveled up (quality if possible) skill gems is adequate without additional DPS nodes on the passive tree.

3) I layed out the progression builds in the guide to provide adequate dex by your level. You could consider respec'ing into the lvl70 progression build in the guide. :) Ondar's is too good to pass up. I did also notice that you can save one point by using the lower route into the duelist area rather than the route you took.

4) I'd go for Troll's Blood then call it quits there for a while.
1) Imagine your evasion grants you a 20% dodge.

66% block and 20% dodge = 1 – (1 – 0.66) * (1 – 0.2) = 72.8% damage avoidance
70% block and 20% dodge = 76% avoidance – think you have to invest 2 points
75% block and 20% dodge = 80% avoidance - think you have to invest at least 5 points

Imho it's worth going up to 75%. You don't need to invest too much points.
If you decide not going deep on the dex side, you can change your path to the dualist area, going south as Savy pointed you can save one point and there're shield nodes on the way. You'll be able to invest 3 points to get 4% block and 40% block recovery.

2) Up to you. If you prefer more dps or more life or being block capped or more dex...

3) I think we both thought there is no need to waste so much points going so far to the dex side.
What if we don't pull Ondar's Guile?. It's great if you pull when you're middle level but only good when you take it at the end of your character, when you're block capped. Using our example, 20% dodge and 75% block, ondar would give you 5% avoidance from projectile at 4 points cost.
Then if you don't pull Ondar's, should I go into the ranger block nodes?. They are damm good but I can cap block using other nodes...
If I don't pull the ranger block nodes, should I go for Think skin?. It's amazing but I can pull more life nodes on the marauder area or other places.
How about Diamond Skin? Hell you're capped, you don't need more resistance.
Should I stop on Golems blood?. At this point you realize you lack a lot on dex. If you want to play EV gear, axe, sword, green skill... You'll be screwed. You had to pull a 30 dex node, even a 10 one. I suppose you're gear dependant to get extra dex. It's Ok but it limits you.
As you see you have options to replace the excellent nodes you get on the dex way. But the "unwanted" dex nodes you pull helps you to use wide options, I can level up green gems, use EV gear, swords... without being worried about dex.
If I were you, I would ask myself how much dex do I need. I would go dex up to get the amount you are comfortable, take into account a bit dex given by your gear.

I choosed for myself going up to the ranger block wheel. Probably I will go to Ondar's Guile in future, I'm still 63.

4) I would stop at Trolls Blood too, except if you really think you're low on life.
Btw how did you score 3.2k life?. Your build is 124% increased life. 3.2k looks to me quite decent (I've no idea about it), do you have life on almost all items?

I'd like to say a lot another wall of text, but I'm using my mobile to write and it's a pain :(k
IGN: Pintxo (Harbinger)
Online: 22:00 to 24:00 GMT +1 (Spain)
I'm currently levelling a variant on this, using infernal blow (with multistrike, mainly because I dropped one, probably not the best option). Running Molten Shell - seems to synergise well with high blocking, and use of flammability curse works well with both skills.
Diverted from base build to pick up the AOE nodes - will post when it's a bit more evolved.
Picked up a crest of Perandus, block rate is good and the life leach is handy while I am using a blood magic gem with infernal blow. Low base stats will probably hit me later though. I guess it's not worth taking the improved defences from shields nodes if I stick with it.

Debating whether to also run heavy strike for single target, but maybe infernal will do the job on it's own.
Impressions so far, recasting molten shell takes some of the 'Lazy' away from the build, plus I always forget. AOE is quite poor atm too, but that will probably improve as I skill up and add links. I wish tempest shield was a bit more obvious when it fires too - doesn't feel like it is giving me much (maybe it isn't).
Due to gear I don't have much armour atm, so feel a bit squishy when I don't block heavy hitting monsters, will rectify soon, and throw on a granite or two as well.

Awesome responses and answers! This thread is certainly one of the bests when it comes to answering questions and providing suggestions.

1) It seems like both Sovyn and Kahoraho are in favor of getting to 75%. One of the reasons I asked is because even at 66%, I already feel pretty tanky. I have been joining a few public groups and I can usually tank until the dischargers come around and kills everything. With that said, I think I will aim for 75% block given both of your feedback.

2) DPS is almost like block. I feel that you can never have enough. :) I still have a lot of refund points, so I'm going to play around with Strong Arm for now. I don't have any lightning damage unless someone runs a wrath aura. Maybe that is something I will drop for it in the future. Static shock was going to be one of the last things I get anyway.

3) This is now a moot point since I'm going to go for max block. I think I will have more than enough dex and will be able to rework my tree a little. I did take a different path to get to the duelist tree because I thought I needed more intelligence. I think that is going to take care of itself eventually. Now, the only question is whether I will have enough to get to Ondar's Guile. I think I will barely be able to get there.

4) I believe I have life on every item. That's how I got to where I am. My previous toon was a groundslam maruader and even at 4K health, it didn't feel like it was enough. I think with the max block, maybe I am exactly where I need to be.

I think I should add that nowadays, I die mostly to carelessness or chaos dmg. I think that is true for any build. What seems amazing to me is how tanky this build can be. There are many maps where I seem to be the only one that can go face to face with the boss. I do get jealous of the amount of DPS some of those dischargers can put out though. There are days when a boss has high regen and it feels like I'm not doing enough dmg to reduce its health.

Anyway, thanks again for the response. I'm gonna rework my tree and will post an update when I get to L75. :)
"
kahoraho wrote:

I think we both thought there is no need to waste so much points going so far to the dex side.
What if we don't pull Ondar's Guile?. It's great if you pull when you're middle level but only good when you take it at the end of your character, when you're block capped. Using our example, 20% dodge and 75% block, ondar would give you 5% avoidance from projectile at 4 points cost.

Thanks for also answering the above poster's questions. :)

As far as Ondar's - assuming we have a 30% chance to evade, which is very doable end game with a good high evasion high block shield as mentioned in the guide (my shield has well over 500 evasion and you can do better) - Ondar's give us a 60% chance to evade projectiles.

So, for projectiles, with Ondar's:

100% chance to get hit * 60% = 40% chance to get hit

40% chance to get hit * 0.25 (75 block chance) = 10% chance to get hit

Without Ondar's:

25% chance to get hit with the projectile.

That's a difference of 15%.

There are other nodes leading up to Ondar's that are actually hard to replace for the same number of points as well (I've tried many times). Other routes offer different stats but there are always trade offs, so might as well just get Ondar's. It looks like a long way but it's not really, we are picking up resists, bunch of life, block and lots of dex. Try to replace all that for fewer points -- pretty hard to do. :)
"
Carlovski wrote:
I'm currently levelling a variant on this, using infernal blow (with multistrike, mainly because I dropped one, probably not the best option). Running Molten Shell - seems to synergise well with high blocking, and use of flammability curse works well with both skills.
Diverted from base build to pick up the AOE nodes - will post when it's a bit more evolved.
Picked up a crest of Perandus, block rate is good and the life leach is handy while I am using a blood magic gem with infernal blow. Low base stats will probably hit me later though. I guess it's not worth taking the improved defences from shields nodes if I stick with it.

Debating whether to also run heavy strike for single target, but maybe infernal will do the job on it's own.
Impressions so far, recasting molten shell takes some of the 'Lazy' away from the build, plus I always forget. AOE is quite poor atm too, but that will probably improve as I skill up and add links. I wish tempest shield was a bit more obvious when it fires too - doesn't feel like it is giving me much (maybe it isn't).
Due to gear I don't have much armour atm, so feel a bit squishy when I don't block heavy hitting monsters, will rectify soon, and throw on a granite or two as well.

Thanks for posting! :)

I understand from other threads that concentrated effect and increased area are two good supports for molten shell, if one wanted to work a little harder at things by having to recast it every few seconds. That combo would fit into a three link, although a four link with blood magic might be better as using the skill does not leech mana. Blocked damage is removed from the molten shell "timer" as well, FYI.

Crest is a great shield except the evasion is too low for end game (anything Merciless Vaal and after) IMHO.

Heavy Strike is nice but Infernal Blow will work just fine as a single target skill unless you couple it with melee splash. You would need gobs of mana leech (3-4% maybe) and maybe clarity too to keep up with Infernal Blow's mana requirements. It's not as efficient leeching as Heavy Strike is. Up to you to experiment as I don't have much mana leech gear available to me.

Tempest Shield does not do much damage, although at 75% block I do see the small, hard to see lightning crackle effect on monsters quite often. We take it mainly for the 4% block to save us a couple nodes on the passive skill tree.
"
Dwarg wrote:
....I'm going to play around with Strong Arm for now.....

.....I needed more intelligence.....

....My previous toon was a groundslam maruader and even at 4K health, it didn't feel like it was enough. I think with the max block, maybe I am exactly where I need to be. .....

I think I should add that nowadays, I die mostly to carelessness or chaos dmg. I think that is true for any build. What seems amazing to me is how tanky this build can be. There are many maps where I seem to be the only one that can go face to face with the boss. I do get jealous of the amount of DPS some of those dischargers can put out though. There are days when a boss has high regen and it feels like I'm not doing enough dmg to reduce its health.

Anyway, thanks again for the response. I'm gonna rework my tree and will post an update when I get to L75. :)

Thanks for the follow up on your plans!

I think Strong Arm will serve you well, it's a reasonable alternative to some of the choices on the higher point progression builds I posted in the guide as we establish the basics by level 70.

You will want a
eventually if you do not already have one. It happens to have a nice chunk on Int on it!

Same here on the dying, although I have not died in a few levels (knock on wood). It's mostly when I'm trying to rush too much where I should not be rushing. Lightning Thorns and Unrighteous Fire monsters are the two that seem to hurt. Oddly enough, chaos damage does not hurt me even with -60 resist. Probably because it's mostly projectile based.

I think it fits my personality best to do modest damage and have less risk of dying. Besides, why have yet another cookie cutter flavor of the month character? (Discharger)

I can clear most of the maps I've found solo in about 30 minutes including looting everything. I'm happy with that.

Keep us posted as you progress! :)
Last edited by Sovyn on Jul 4, 2013, 5:41:57 PM
"
Sovyn wrote:
Thanks for also answering the above poster's questions. :)

As far as Ondar's - assuming we have a 30% chance to evade, which is very doable end game with a good high evasion high block shield as mentioned in the guide (my shield has well over 500 evasion and you can do better) - Ondar's give us a 60% chance to evade projectiles.

So, for projectiles, with Ondar's:

100% chance to get hit * 60% = 40% chance to get hit

40% chance to get hit * 0.25 (75 block chance) = 10% chance to get hit

Without Ondar's:

25% chance to get hit with the projectile.

That's a difference of 15%.

There are other nodes leading up to Ondar's that are actually hard to replace for the same number of points as well (I've tried many times). Other routes offer different stats but there are always trade offs, so might as well just get Ondar's. It looks like a long way but it's not really, we are picking up resists, bunch of life, block and lots of dex. Try to replace all that for fewer points -- pretty hard to do. :)

I agree with most of the statements you do and I will probably get Ondar.
Thanks for sharing your build :)

Is it so easy to get 30% evasion?.
Let me correct one formula, you forgot your have a 30% to evade withouth Ondar.

With Ondar: (1 - 0.6 evade) * (1 - 0.75 block) = 10% chance to be hit
Without Ondar: (1 - 0.3 [evade]) * (1 - 0.75 block) = 17.5% chance to be hit

Of course, it's applied only to avoid projectile attacks.
IGN: Pintxo (Harbinger)
Online: 22:00 to 24:00 GMT +1 (Spain)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info