Is your game not detecting a dedicated graphics card?

The Client.exe is old and no longer used.

You should update everything to use the PathOfExile.exe (or PathOfExileSteam.exe). This was changed quite a while ago (before launch).
I'm having the exact same problem as the rest in here.

I'm running Intel HD 4000 but I have a Radeon HD8800 in my laptop aswell which it wont recognize.

I've tried the various suggestions in here but nothing resolves it. Anyone has any idea what to try next?

I really hope that there could be some sort of recognition of this issue from GGG, since this seem to be a general problem.

Cheers!
Arctyrus
Have you verified first that it isn't actually using the dedicated card (using a GPU resource meter).

In most cases, the game doesn't display that it is using the dedicated card, but when you look at the GPU usage, it is quite clear that it is.

If you've verified that it is indeed not using the correct card, make sure you add a profile to your Catalyst Control Center for PathOfExile.exe and make sure to specify that it should use your dedicated card.

This isn't exactly a GGG issue.. it's an issue with how those laptops and drivers handle the switching of graphics card based on process. It's a stupid system to be honest (although I understand why they do it). In some cases, the drivers don't think they should use the dedicated card for Path of Exile, and on first load, Path of Exile just pulls the display adapter information to store in the config. Once it is stored, it doesn't get reset as far as I'm aware.

So there are multiple things which can cause confusion here, but you should be able to verify through a GPU meter whether or not the correct card is being used in the game.
yes, this should work.

You don't even have to verify your GPU meter, for me it is obvious when the right card is in the line of work 'cause the game is drasticaly faster.

;) and yes, in the options there is still the gray color of the graphic card button but nevermind that.
"
brettjv wrote:
I have this same problem, and no offense but this problem is kinda the 'fault' of GGG, although it's not a problem with 'game detecting the dedicated graphics card'.

The problem is Optimus (nV Driver) not recognizing the game, and switching over to the dedicated card to run it.

Complicating that issue is that they've decided to make the .exe for the client named 'client.exe', and the launcher insists that you use this file name (that's the only file it'll patch properly IOW).

However, the filename 'client.exe' is already 'taken' by Phantasy Star Online and Dragon MMORPG apps in the nV driver, and nVCP (and nVInspector) will not allow you to create a new profile that points to a file called 'client.exe' because that file name is 'taken'/associated with another game.

BUT...Optimus technology REQUIRES that in order to use the nV graphics card, there must be a profile for the game. Otherwise, it won't switch over.

As for why the driver doesn't just 'see' the PoE client as being Phantasy Star, and switch to the nV card on that basis ... I'm actually kinda baffled on that question. But it doesn't, at least not for me and apparently others as well. Some kind of incompatibility between what's in the profile and the PoE is the only thing I can reckon.

So here's the most permanent workaround I know of for Optimus users until such time as GGG decides to rename the .exe to something that's not 'taken already', or gets nV to add a profile for PoE to it's driver:

Using nVInspector, DELETE the profiles for Phantasy Star Online, and Dragon MMORPG ... accept the warning it throws up. If you need these back, you have to reinstall the driver. No biggie. Then close nVInspector and fire up NVCP>3d Settings, and add a new profile for PoE, point the profile at your PoE install folder/client.exe file. This time, you'll be able to succeed in creating the profile, because those other two profiles are deleted. Select 'Prefer nvidia GPU' in the dropdown, and run the game (client.exe as usual). You'll now find it runs on your nV card, patches will happen properly, etc.

This will work at LEAST until you reinstall/update drivers (in which case, if it fails after a driver install, you just do the same stuff again I listed above), and you'll get all the patches and not have hassles with renaming .exes and crud like that, plus you can play around with settings in the nVCP and actually maybe have some of them work to improve IQ :)

Hopefully we get a proper driver profile from nV soon (this will also make it so SLI will work in this game).

And for those of you who have way over-powered GPU's (like 660ti/7950 or above), you should look into downsampling the image. It works great in this game, I'm running it at 2880x1800 resolution on my 1920x1200 screen via downsampling, and it REALLY improves the look of the game, and my FPS still never even THINKS about dipping below 60fps w/everything maxed in the game.

Enjoy!

I still got this problem, and i can see this is from way back, anyone can help me fix this, or give me a link to another thread where they've fixed it? and why haven't GGG fixed this urgent matter yet..!?
Hey, I've had the same problem. Using a laptop with a dedicated NVIDIA GPU as well as the onboard integrated GPU. The game will only allow me to select the onboard Intel 4600 gpu, however I can run the game at max settings and have a steady 60 fps. I ran GPU-Z while running the game and it looks like it's all been powered by the NVIDIA GPU.

I ran into the same issue with minecraft, after the major update it had my framerate bottomed out at approx. 16 fps. The game ignored my preference for the NVIDIA chipset and went straight to the onboard chipset. I fixed this problem by selecting my universal GPU settings to always use the NVIDIA card and it worked.

Have you tried selecting the NVIDIA card as the "preferred graphics processor" under global settings?

Hope this helps....

Wait, I just re-read you're using a radeon card...
Last edited by DanoC1982 on Dec 2, 2013, 6:45:43 AM
Hi!

thanks for the quick reply!
- I'm not useing Raedon, -> im useing Nvidia 750M
- also when i run PoE it says im useing Intel(R) HD Graphic4600
- I tried deleting the profiles for both Dragon MMORPG & Phantasy Star Online 2
- Create a profile for Path of exile, both for Client and Pathofexile
- i've tried to de-activate my integrated graphic card, when i open PoE after this it will come up and tell me there's no Nvidia graphic card on this computer...

This is the ONLY game i cannot run with my Nvidia graphic card, i've also got the driver up-to-date, along with Experience to try optimize it, which seems to be useless in this situation.

Preciate the help!

Best regards! = ))
"
Rory wrote:
This is usually because you're using a laptop with both an integrated and dedicated graphics card, and the laptop is switching between these as it needs to. If this is the case, the "Adapter" dropdown in your Options menu will only show the integrated card, even if the game is using the dedicated card at the time.

You may need to set the game to start with the dedicated card if your minimap is not displayed correctly. You can make sure the game always uses the dedicated card by doing one of two things:

• Right click on your Path of Exile shortcut, and find an option to use the dedicated card

or

• In the Display Driver settings for your graphics card, located in the hidden icons menu beside your system clock, you can create a profile for Path of Exile that will tell it to always uses the Dedicated card.

Note: Even if you have set the game to always use the dedicated card, the "Adapter" option will only ever show the integrated card, and the only way to tell if it is using the dedicated card is by watching the dedicated card's activity when the game is running.

Thnx, but did not work for my msi dragon, it still worked for a friend tho, but i had to disable the onboard graphics by the device manager in win 8.1 then i restarted and had to install POE. My labtop is Always running on the nvidia card. (need to be on adapter but this is nearly a desktop replacement so np) (make sure you have nvidia drivers updated before disable the igp onboard hd 4600 ofcourse)
Read through the topic, just wanted to let the devs know I have the problem too. Hope they'll fix it. Cheers, because despite this it's a great game!

P.S.: I experience a lot of heating on my laptop when I work around the problem.
Last edited by Manthe_blaqskull on Dec 6, 2013, 12:40:51 PM
I had the same issue when I updated my ATI drivers.
I currently have an Alienware 17x4 that has an Intel HD 4000 with the ATI 7970M
I am using windows 7 64-bit SP 1 and eventually got the game to work.
All I did to solve the problem was go to the device manager, select the ATI card and update drivers. Seems Windows changes the priority of the devices then and everything is working perfectly now.

I hope this helps

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info