Is your game not detecting a dedicated graphics card?

I have the same problem. I have a Nvidia Geforce GT 630M 2GB graphics card but the game only recognizes my integrated Intel graphics.
With later HP laptops you can turn off switchable graphics in the BIOS. That allows you to manually switch between graphics cards for the Catalyst Control Center. Takes a bit longer to have to switch over to the correct card before you play, but at least you know which card your on. Perhaps most manufactures have something similar in the BIOS?
How would you check if the Nvidia Graphics Card is being used? While I was running the game I opened up the Nvidia Settings tab but I don't know how to check if it's being used or not. Please help me out with this. I am using Windows 8.
you just need to see the options menu, it says intel HD.... or Nvidia ......
I have a Nvidia Geforce GT card and a Intel Graphics card on my laptop. The options menu detects the Intel card. I think that it will always show the Intel card even if i'm running the game on my Nvidia card. Is there a way that I can check and make sure that the Nvidia card is running the game?
"
xAdApt wrote:
the laptop i use detected path of exile as phantasy star online and couldnt switch from integrated graphics or change any options in nvdia cp :S

fixed it by copy/pasting and renaming the client.exe to poe.exe

when the game updates it will automatically update the client.exe, so you just need to copy paste and rename it again

This worked for me.

Even showed my card in the ingame options.

My framerate went from ... 30 to 70 (Press F1 for framerate, latency and another one...)

Using a Geforce GTX 670M and NVIDIA Configuration V4.8.750.0
Last edited by openmaken on Feb 19, 2013, 8:48:08 PM
With the new Nvidia Drivers, the game now recognize again when y right click it and choose the 540m one :D:D, so it seemed to be a driver problem that even with r-click it wouldn't recognize it :) ( english is not my native language )
I have this same problem, and no offense but this problem is kinda the 'fault' of GGG, although it's not a problem with 'game detecting the dedicated graphics card'.

The problem is Optimus (nV Driver) not recognizing the game, and switching over to the dedicated card to run it.

Complicating that issue is that they've decided to make the .exe for the client named 'client.exe', and the launcher insists that you use this file name (that's the only file it'll patch properly IOW).

However, the filename 'client.exe' is already 'taken' by Phantasy Star Online and Dragon MMORPG apps in the nV driver, and nVCP (and nVInspector) will not allow you to create a new profile that points to a file called 'client.exe' because that file name is 'taken'/associated with another game.

BUT...Optimus technology REQUIRES that in order to use the nV graphics card, there must be a profile for the game. Otherwise, it won't switch over.

As for why the driver doesn't just 'see' the PoE client as being Phantasy Star, and switch to the nV card on that basis ... I'm actually kinda baffled on that question. But it doesn't, at least not for me and apparently others as well. Some kind of incompatibility between what's in the profile and the PoE is the only thing I can reckon.

So here's the most permanent workaround I know of for Optimus users until such time as GGG decides to rename the .exe to something that's not 'taken already', or gets nV to add a profile for PoE to it's driver:

Using nVInspector, DELETE the profiles for Phantasy Star Online, and Dragon MMORPG ... accept the warning it throws up. If you need these back, you have to reinstall the driver. No biggie. Then close nVInspector and fire up NVCP>3d Settings, and add a new profile for PoE, point the profile at your PoE install folder/client.exe file. This time, you'll be able to succeed in creating the profile, because those other two profiles are deleted. Select 'Prefer nvidia GPU' in the dropdown, and run the game (client.exe as usual). You'll now find it runs on your nV card, patches will happen properly, etc.

This will work at LEAST until you reinstall/update drivers (in which case, if it fails after a driver install, you just do the same stuff again I listed above), and you'll get all the patches and not have hassles with renaming .exes and crud like that, plus you can play around with settings in the nVCP and actually maybe have some of them work to improve IQ :)

Hopefully we get a proper driver profile from nV soon (this will also make it so SLI will work in this game).

And for those of you who have way over-powered GPU's (like 660ti/7950 or above), you should look into downsampling the image. It works great in this game, I'm running it at 2880x1800 resolution on my 1920x1200 screen via downsampling, and it REALLY improves the look of the game, and my FPS still never even THINKS about dipping below 60fps w/everything maxed in the game.

Enjoy!
Senior Moderator at Overclock.net (Graphics Cards & PSU Forums)
Rig 1: i7 930@4.0GHz*Gigabyte GTX670 WF3 (1300c/7000m)*Asus R3X*Titanium X-Fi*Raven RV-03*Enermax Revolution 850W*Asus 1920x1200 Monitor
Rig 2: Acer TimelineX 3830 13.4" Laptop (i5 SB Dualie + HT (2.6GHz), GT540m (750c/950m))
Last edited by brettjv on Feb 20, 2013, 2:28:53 PM
do you guys have any way to solve that for ATI cards?
I second the question :)

I've been forced to set medium quality parameters to play on integrated ATI 6520g, until I find a way to make PoE recognize my Radeon 6750M. So far, no luck :p

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info