Is your game not detecting a dedicated graphics card?

I last posted this under 'Nvidia Optimus Problem' here (applies to AMD too):

I double-checked the Path of Exile executable and the problem is pretty apparent: they're not building it with a Windows resource file (or it's not being included for some reason). Ever notice when you look at a file's details tab in Windows Explorer, it can have all kinds of crap in there? That's added by the resource file on compilation: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1022449/how-to-change-an-executables-properties-windows

The way Dynamic Switching normally works is that it detects when a process is launched, and then checks what StringFileInfo is returned by Windows. The file info returned by Windows for PoE only includes process name (generic "client.exe") and other information that can change upon any patch, like Checksum, because that's all the information that can be gathered from the file. The only thing that is unique about the information returned is the full path, which for whatever reason, Nvidia and AMD never seems to use.

Perhaps someone with Switchable Graphics can try the "Resource Hacker" linked in the StackOverflow post and see if adding something that SHOULD be static, like "InternalName" (maybe "poe.exe"), helps out the Nvidia Optimus / AMD software (you'll have to re-add it most likely after the change).

This can also affect a lot of other programs that can't look at a file's full path, such as DLL injectors that add overlays.
I ve been awake since almost the 10.2 update.
Try to fix the problem on my computer.
THIS GAME DOESNT WANT TO WORK WITH MY GT555m. WHY WHY WHY.

Anyway, what generalmx says is interesting, but i dont understand the difference between adding a name via Resource Hacker or copy/paste/ rename the client to a poe.exe and work on it with the nvidia control panel.

Apparently for those who have a bios up to date, there is an option in the bios to remove switchable graphics and use only ure dedicated card.

On the contrary, for those with win7 or older , there is a .exe called Powermizer switch, or a procedure described here : http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/261929-disable-powermizer-tested.html, that allowas you to turn powermizer on and off. This is that shitty Powermizer that makes you use ure chipset instead of your dedicated graphiccard for the average use.

But personnaly i run on Win8 with a old bios (07/07/2011), so neither of this potential solution works.... and i couldnt test them.

Any further idea on disabling chipset for laptop? If I simply disable it from the control panel a worse chipset enter in action, so this simple idea is not enough. Think i will simply dismount my comp and CRUSH THAT BITCHY intel3000 CARD.

And another possible solution suggested in this thread is to create a shortcut then modify its properties to contrain poe to use the gpu located at a place. But i tried it and had the same problem that described in the post a little above, its only when u point toward ure chipset that it works.
Im not really good with computer so i didnt even know u could do that, but if u can do
-adapter:X to point to a location and that doesnt work, there is maybe another way to point to the same location that could work.
Going to the control panel there is a lot of number refering to each card : address; pilot key (i translate from french dunno if its the name in english). Is there not a way to point to the good GPU thx to this number?

EDIT: Btw, can anybody link me the url to Nvidia optimus driver for W8 64bits i dont find it on the site of nvidia... :s
Last edited by urkdum on Mar 10, 2013, 4:02:00 AM
Can a Dev please try to help us with this issue. For those with Optimus and dual card technology on our laptops? :( I tried customer support with Lenovo but that doesn't work either. Please please. I really want to play this game.
I hope i can help you.i solved my problem.
Steps :

1. Get the latest drivers for your both graphic cards.
2. Get the latest driver for Bios

If that doesnt work for nvdia optimus users.download nvdia inspector.
Run it,and at the tool tip in the middle press it.On top u will see a list of games for your nvdia card.Find the Phantasy star online and delete it X.
Now Access the Graphic Panel and choose the poe client to use your Nvdia Card.
Tips :

-Sometimes to solve your problem,go to power supply and max them all.
"
urkdum wrote:
I ve been awake since almost the 10.2 update.
Try to fix the problem on my computer.
THIS GAME DOESNT WANT TO WORK WITH MY GT555m. WHY WHY WHY.

Anyway, what generalmx says is interesting, but i dont understand the difference between adding a name via Resource Hacker or copy/paste/ rename the client to a poe.exe and work on it with the nvidia control panel.

Apparently for those who have a bios up to date, there is an option in the bios to remove switchable graphics and use only ure dedicated card.

On the contrary, for those with win7 or older , there is a .exe called Powermizer switch, or a procedure described here : http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/261929-disable-powermizer-tested.html, that allowas you to turn powermizer on and off. This is that shitty Powermizer that makes you use ure chipset instead of your dedicated graphiccard for the average use.

But personnaly i run on Win8 with a old bios (07/07/2011), so neither of this potential solution works.... and i couldnt test them.

Any further idea on disabling chipset for laptop? If I simply disable it from the control panel a worse chipset enter in action, so this simple idea is not enough. Think i will simply dismount my comp and CRUSH THAT BITCHY intel3000 CARD.

And another possible solution suggested in this thread is to create a shortcut then modify its properties to contrain poe to use the gpu located at a place. But i tried it and had the same problem that described in the post a little above, its only when u point toward ure chipset that it works.
Im not really good with computer so i didnt even know u could do that, but if u can do
-adapter:X to point to a location and that doesnt work, there is maybe another way to point to the same location that could work.
Going to the control panel there is a lot of number refering to each card : address; pilot key (i translate from french dunno if its the name in english). Is there not a way to point to the good GPU thx to this number?

EDIT: Btw, can anybody link me the url to Nvidia optimus driver for W8 64bits i dont find it on the site of nvidia... :s

I googled your question and came up with this

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS032114

I hope it helps
So unfortunately I wasn't able to figure out how to Resource Hacker myself to add Version Information. Again, this is something that GGG should easily be able to compile in themselves.

Here's some more information on Dynamic Switching: http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Dynamic-Switchable-Graphics-vs-Nvidia-Optimus.64378.0.html

And here's some information on the Dynamic Switching Driver for some of the HP Laptops: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video-e-g-Windows-8/I-wish-to-disable-Switchable-Graphics-on-a-DV7-4030ed/td-p/344302

Here's some information on changing Dynamic Switching to "FIXED" in the BIOS (pre-Boot environment) on HP Laptops: https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03048374

Now, for Optimus (Nvidia) users, this article is interesting: http://netbooknetwork.net/2012/windows-8-fix-nvidia-optimus-always-on/ , which tells us that we can have the Intel Drivers not installed at all with Optimus. So one possible solution to disabling Optimus's dynamic switching would be to uninstall the Intel HD Graphics Drivers. Unfortunately I don't think you can do this with AMD Switchable Graphics.

Last edited by generalmx on Mar 13, 2013, 9:57:43 AM
"
Rory wrote:

• Right click on your Path of Exile shortcut, and find an option to use the dedicated card

Important point is you may have to always use right click>>run with graphic processor>>'dedicated card' to start the game. Doubleclicking the shortcut just switches back to the integrated card.

I have a 555M on my Lenova laptop also and the choice of cards doesn't save for PoE. I have to start it by right clicking and choosing my Nvidia everytime.

To tell if PoE is running on the card you want:

1)All load times should be noticeably faster.
2)The proper card will show on the ingame options menu.
3)In Nvidia control panel, go to 'Desktop' on the toolbar and make sure "Display GPU Activity Icon in the Notification Area" is checked. Now there should be a rainbow square near you clock icons. Launch PoE by rightclicking and choosing your card, then tab out, and left click the new rainbow square icon by your clock and it'll say 'running 1'or will directly list PoE.
My problem is that it says my D3D card has a non-zero reference count

It may have discovered that I only have an onboard graphics card - and that works very well for some fairly demanding games ... like GuildWars, Dawn of War, Dragon Age Origins, etc ... do you have an updated diect exe file?

Usually I find that each game has it's own DX file that it requires to work - I even have a couple of software physics files saved for that - the essential graphics interface DX updates come with most DVD games as standard in their DX package - and really all it is doing is telling their game engine that my card is very nice really and it's okies to go ahead and play the game ^^

It would be nice to play this game - to see what you have done and how ... will hope that you can supply something

all the best

raggidman
"
Exousia001 wrote:
I have the same problem. Has anyone figured out a way to fix it?

*To the person who posted the copy/paste method; where do I actually paste it on to? The Destop? It'll update but it'll redownload the 5gb of the game onto the destop.

-I tried to paste it on the same folder as the Client.exe but it started up normally and has the same problems.

-I tried deleting the Client.exe but it'll just updated back up with the same exact issue.

You paste it in the same folder that has client.exe
Last edited by Aerinx on Mar 27, 2013, 12:03:01 PM
i have hd 40000 gpu and gt 650m gpu on a laptop and ive tried everything i can find on the forums and net and still poe choose the shitty hd 4000 intergrated chipset pls help me if you already solved this problem tnx

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info