Another Stash Tab Bundle weekend .... Sigh !!!

Well, it's another Stash Tab Bundle weekend and GGG has not yet (and probably never will) switched back to making newly purchased stash tabs activate as 6 brand new added empty tabs. What I said several months ago in one of my threads I new would be true and that GGG would weather the storm over the change but not code another solution and put stash tabs back to added instead of converted remove only tabs. Ok, by now we should all know the story:

Chris stated:

"We recently made a change where the contents of a remove-only tab are automatically moved into a new stash tab as one is purchased. This was primarily to fix a technical problem, but happens to also help users who purchase a lot of stash tabs when challenge leagues end and don't want to have to move the items across one at a time."

... and kill any attempt to get new empty tabs to consolidate down the ever growing quantity of remove only tabs after each temp league. OMG... now with two 3 month leagues the remove only tabs will be out of control faster... Holy crap!!!

Now for a few stats of my Standard League:

Total tabs = 99
Remove only tabs = 69 (damn that's too many)

Stash Tab Breakdown: 
0% free = 1
<= 10 % free = 7
10.1% to 25% free = 12
25.1% to 50% free = 31
50.1% to 75% free = 12
75.1% to 100% free = 6

Let's see now, I have only a 18/51 = 35% chance that a remove only tab that is not over half full of being randomly picked if I buy the premium stash tab bundle today (9/13/14). At 165 points = $16.50 USD I really shouldn't be forced to gamble with my hard earned money. Thus, I and many others have quit buying any more stash space forever until GGG goes back to the original (best) way of adding the new tabs to our existing total stash space.

We never got a clear explanation for the technical problem with challenge league stash tabs causing a problem when the race is over and they migrate to the permanent hardcore league (and probably wouldn't care even if we got a technical explanation from GGG). GGG got an easy out for the problem and we are still screwed out of getting our full moneys worth of storage space of 6 x 144 = 864 new stash tab cells. This is wrong.

Note: Ok, so like most of us are tired of this topic. Don't complain to me, complain to GGG so we get this fixed back to the way it was and worked best.

"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Should watch a few episodes of "Hoarders" and tidy up your stuff.
Temporary "remove only" tabs should not be usable for long-term storage anyway. I think the way new stash tabs are added (and that they convert "remove only" tabs into permanent tabs) is a good approach. There's also the issue of database bloat, though I don't know how significant this is for PoE/GGG.

Why should you be able to keep "remove only" tabs as permanent storage tabs in the first place? I would even see it as reasonable if these tabs expired after x months.
"
Mivo wrote:
Temporary "remove only" tabs should not be usable for long-term storage anyway. I think the way new stash tabs are added (and that they convert "remove only" tabs into permanent tabs) is a good approach. There's also the issue of database bloat, though I don't know how significant this is for PoE/GGG.

Why should you be able to keep "remove only" tabs as permanent storage tabs in the first place? I would even see it as reasonable if these tabs expired after x months.

That has and always will be an incorrect statement. Here is what Chris said in an email reply:

"We're not really concerned with people using remove-only tabs as long-term storage like they have been doing."

So you shouldn't state that either GGG is against us keeping remove only tabs long term or that we should never ever view our remove only tabs as a means of keeping our stuff long term. I know the debate over whether keeping stuff is a form of hording or not or even if you see most of what some one wants to keep as vendor trash. That is a very personal choice for each player. With each and every new game expansion there will always be new skills and thus new sets of gear that work better with it so what appears to be worthless today could be of value next year with PoE 2.0. No one should be forced to throw away any gear that we want to keep long term.

Edit: Database bloat is not a problem. Hard drive capacities keep going up (WD announces 10 TB hard drive) so if I keep 100 stash tabs or 200 stash tabs that shouldn't have much of an impact on total server storage space required, even if a million players did that.

Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

Last edited by Arrowneous on Sep 13, 2014, 9:21:53 AM
I don't think GGG should support that much hoarding as remove-only tabs...
Tech guy
You know what I'd like to see to get people to get their Sh*T together?

A timer.
If your remove only tab is not cleared within X days, it is deleted.

To be fair, it should be listed as something like 2 - 4 weeks.
If you cannot organize all your stuff by then, it deserves to be lost.

You will see people scramble real quick.
"The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence."
"
Arrowneous wrote:
 So you shouldn't state that either GGG is against us keeping remove only tabs long term or that we should never ever view our remove only tabs as a means of keeping our stuff long term.

I expressed my opinion, not GGG's position (which, outside of your undated second hand quote, I don't know). I don't feel that "remove only" tabs should be usable for long-term storage, and don't mind that buying stash tabs converts "remove only" tabs into normal tabs. I can see why you might not agree with that approach, but to me it doesn't seem like a big deal.

I could also see GGG changing their mind on what "remove only" tabs should be. Technical restrictions may cause such a change, for example (database bloat), or just the realization that this cuts into sales figures more than previously anticipated. GGG has changed policies in the past, dropped ideas, or introduced new ones.

But they should probably make a definite statement whether this is how it will continue to work or not. No disagreement there.
"
Hixxie wrote:

A timer.

Fuck that.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
Hixxie wrote:

A timer.

Great idea, now just give me the newly purchased 6 stash tab bundle as 6 new empty tabs so I can move what I want to keep over and vendor the rest before the remove only timer runs out. Oh wait... I can't do that! DOH!!!

Note: With my bad RNG luck the 1 and only 1 100% full stash tab of rare quivers would be randomly chosen. What then? That tab is 100% full and it gets converted to a full use tab. So how does that help me move my remove-only tab gear over. It doesn't, I just lost a tab to use for consolidation purposes. Hence the need to have GGG make this right by going back to the original way of adding new tabs.

Besides that, the remove-only stash tabs are not "free" tabs as some say. I played hard to acquire the gear I want to keep long term and my full remove-only tab of rare quivers took many hours to accumulated so I should not be forced to vendor them away (or lose them if there was an expiration timer). Again, if the tabs were added then I can take several tabs of the same type of gear and consolidate them down to one tab and vendor off the ones I deem of no value to me now. So if I view the full tab of quivers as desirable to keep and it is converted then I just lost a tab to use for other consolidation purposes.

Either GGG needs to go back to added tabs or a better solution is to give us the ability to pick which six remove-only tabs are converted and not just randomly pick 6 to convert. That is the best way for GGG to solve this problem.

Last edited by Arrowneous on Sep 13, 2014, 11:42:54 AM
It's not GGG's responsibility to solve problems that you create. Their best solution would be to just not let items transfer from a challenge league to it's parent league.
Last edited by Shagsbeard on Sep 13, 2014, 9:58:58 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info