Why is Mark of the Doubting Knight worth so little?

Wow, a lot of necro'ing going on here.

But anyway, it mostly has to due with supply and demand. There's far more of these daggers than people who actually want to use them around... Hence they are not worth that much.

Another major example is Atziri's Promise; going on figures, it's definitely a BiS flask, with it being consistently one of the most-used unique items... But it's never worth more than 1 chaos simply because you get it so frequently from repeat-fighting Atziri, and you only need one.

To be honest, the attack speed and base crit aren't THAT much a liability. True, it scares off a lot of folks with simpler concepts that dictate how they choose, but the fact remains that it will still deliver a sizeable number of crits per second, on top of having a notably higher pDPS than almost any rare they'll ever loot.

It all comes down to the supply; if it were a high-tier unique it'd likely be worth nearl as much as Bino's; sure, Bino's has a markedly improved crits-per-second rate, but a pretty lackluster pDPS that caps out at around 240. There are plenty of rare knives that will beat it both on DPS and crits, so it comes down to, really, Bino's' special effect vs. its rarity.

There's a LOT of uniques in the game that don't come close to being a BiS, but have solid stats, but are more plentiful than needed. I usually call them "benchmark" or "starter" uniques, and basically make the next step up from "leveling" uniques. I define them like this:

• Stat-wise, they will be far from a BiS, but definitely WAY above almost any rares you'd find.
  • On the flip side, they tend to never have any serious drawbacks; at most, it's something very minor and easily ignored.
  • Often, they MAY have a special power that a build can particularly exploit around, but most people won't go that direction, at least beyond enjoying the small-ish boost on its own it gives. (rather than going all-out to exploit it to the maximum)
  • They drop common enough that they never accumulate much value. As a result, they tend to top out at around 1 chaos in more mature leagues, or sometimes a bit more. (Standard/Challenge leagues past 1 month)
  • Mostly, their main purposes is that they provide a very suitable piece for beginning mapping.
  • Also, they tend to serve as the "benchmark" that rare gear has to pass. If it's definitely not as good as it? Vendor it. If it surpasses it? It actually can have some value.

So, looking at the above, there's a rather sizable list of such "benchmark" uniques. In fact, I'd figured out well before that one can easily build around them, to make a variety of builds super-cheap. Some core examples:

• Body armours: Lioneye's Vision, Bronn's Lithe, Queen of the Forest, Hyrri's Ire, Infernal Mantle, Cherrubim's Maleficence, Daresso's Defiance, Kingsguard, and MAYBE Restless Ward (a bit weak) or Carcass Jack. (a little weak, often too expensive) This category is probably best; excepting Evasion+ES, (and maybe ES for aura-stackers) there is literally a good choice for ANY build here.
  • Shields: Chernobog's Pillar, Daresso's Courage, Lioneye's Remorse, or almost any unique kite shield.
  • Other armor slots: Geofri's Crest, Hrimnor's Resolve, Atziri's Step, Gang's Momentum, Sin Trek, Snakebite, Wyrmsign. Not as many in the 3 "small slots" as others, but still some good examples.
  • Bows: Infractem and Lioneye's Glare (and Chin Sol to a lesser extent); you can easily do mid-to-high mapping with either of these, or focus on building into a more expensive rare bow.
  • Two-handed melee weapons: Kaom's Primacy, Marohi Erqi, Doomsower, and to a lesser extent, Hezmana's Bloodlust, Kongor's Undying Rage, and Oro's Sacrifice. Weapons like these make going 2H melee a cheap option I've favored a lot.
  • Staves: The Searing Touch, Taryn's Shiver, Tremor Rod, Pillar of the Caged God, and some others to a lesser degree. Again, this makes gearing cheaper for many builds.
  • One-handers: Mark of the Doubting Knight, Callinellus Malleus, Cameria's, Most unique high-level claws, and some others.

To be honest, I feel it's an important category, and can help level the playing field versus a lot of RNG.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
"
ACGIFT wrote:
but the fact remains that it will still deliver a sizeable number of crits per second, on top of having a notably higher pDPS than almost any rare they'll ever loot.

This might have been true before mastercrafting, but now getting a completely random 100% increased pdps dagger and forging flat phys damage on it is almost guaranteed to have a better outcome than mark of the doubting knight.

Now this dagger is completely obsolete.
"
Cataca wrote:
This might have been true before mastercrafting, but now getting a completely random 100% increased pdps dagger and forging flat phys damage on it is almost guaranteed to have a better outcome than mark of the doubting knight.

Naw, the pDPS will still be pretty weak, and that still matters a lot to anyone not doing CoC. At that range, pDPS weighs a bit more heavily than crits-per-second; the latter doesn't really make a bigger impact until you start getting definitely into the low-exalt range, if not higher.

Plus, there's the cost of the whole mastercrafting cycle:

• On average, you'll need to use at least about 131 alterations (~13 chaos) to get that 0.39% chance to roll "Vicious" or a higher-tier mod on your dagger. (slightly worse odds if it's below iLvl 83)
  • Throw on the regal orb. (rounding down to a flat +1c here)
  • Next up is the crafting. If you just go for flat phys, (and assuming you're okay with a measly 10-17 bottom roll) that's 2 chaos.

The net result is, going for max pDPS, you'll wind up with an Ambusher that (after +20% quality) has 170.7-200.9 pDPS for 16 chaos, depending on your "Vicious" and flat phys rolls... And have only 6.3% crit chance. (Swap to a Demon Dagger and your pDPS range will be 163.6-191.0 pDPS)

By contrast, a Mark of the Doubting Knight, with quality, delivers 180.0-196.3 pDPS for 1-2 chaos, AND has 7% crit instead of 6.3%, while ALSO offering block chance and those bleed and poison bonuses.

And sure, you could multimod the dagger to make it definitely better, but THEN what is the point? You've spent two exalts.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
Last edited by ACGIFT on Mar 20, 2016, 12:17:56 PM
"
Cataca wrote:
"
ACGIFT wrote:
but the fact remains that it will still deliver a sizeable number of crits per second, on top of having a notably higher pDPS than almost any rare they'll ever loot.

Yep.

The only thing in that dagger that may turn out to be powerful is bleed part, but I doubt its worth to build around it.
Poison part however with the introduction of poison gem and pathfinder subclass is totally useless.
In terms of raw dps output binos easily outclass this dagger just because of crit. Not to mention that binos is pretty fucking cheap now in Perandus
it has the ability to give poison and bleed for a crit setup which doesnt use a dagger in primary hand.

Take a scepter/rapier and crit setup, this dagger in off hand and the bleed/poison nodes in the tree, you can reach over 70% poison chance without the poison gem.

It's not insanely powerfull but it has potential... all other "poison on hit" are local.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Dragoon_Sword

http://exilecraft.org/#AAAAAwYAAAYCEQMnA4cEsQUtBbUGIAZwB5kLwQxzDPINjRCSES8UdRX2Fr8Y2xutIWAj9iT9JpUtMC4jLlMwcTB8MbAyMjXvNj031DpCOu0+z0CgQzFE0kd+Sn1LeEyOTZJOn1FHVUtW+leXWHVZ8FuvYEFh4mJ5YqxjcGVNaoxsjHBSdKB07XTxdf1313p/eu97FH11fyuBQYRvhKKE2Yd2idOMNo19jb+TmZVmnaqi2aOKo+ely6Z/sNixs7TFtNG1SLuevTa95r6nwYvC7MgMyBTL9dNv037UI9RC1FLawdy93ajjdeOf5w/nVOtj7T/tQfVv/rr/3g==

20% bleed with this weapon and some nodes, 50% with the assassin class,75%on crit
75% poison on hit (on bleeding target) + 25% on crit... 100%

dragoon sword is not needed, it would work with any kind of sword because bleed has a long duration and if it's applied once it's already alright.

It would work with scepters too perfectly , or varanustra?

Ok, 129% hp is bad, i made the build very fast ;)

I will never be good but always I try to improve.
Last edited by Geisalt on Mar 20, 2016, 1:40:10 PM
That wapon is good for certain niche builds like Flicker strike not for everyday meta builds good to hear uis chip my chesy flicker strike evasion build will be much cheaper :D
https://www.twitch.tv/sober667
"
Tygerwoody wrote:
Because its bad
Not really bad, just slow.

Its kinda like the Marohi of Daggers. It does something great but comes at a large cost.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
It's so fucking bad that's why.

Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
strictly speaking it is a incredible league starting item, but then you want to graduate, i built specifically around the dagger for my first char, i went raider to get that sweet aspd, DW to compensate crit, and used 2 of them. It's basically a free voidheart, if you want u can grab the poison cluster to boost ur poison chance up to 80%, but its good enough to do work.

free void heart, 20% resist and decent dps compensated by the absurdity of raider speed. pushing 7k per swing with flurry in a inc aoe set up on a 5link 0.16 aspd. not bad for 2 chaos. and i mean 2c vs 4ex for 2 binos? the dagger has it's place
"
WickedSausage wrote:
I have heard Daggers are popular now, just recently found two Mark of the Doubting knight and thought it was gonna be a nice boost to my economy.
But a friend told me it was only worth a Chaos or two. seems very low for a weapon with neat dmg, block, res and even some nice bleed/poison effect.
Is it really worth that little?

That's not a dagger the tooltip is a lie. It's a piece of horsecrap dried by the sun!
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info