1.3 ✮ The Crit DoT Chin Sol build ✮ Puncture Trap / Ice Shot (Build of the Week S3E3)

Very nice build. Not sure if this has been answered in the 44 pages previous but here is my question:

Why not attached Herald of Ash with INC burning? I am still fussy on the mechanics of this with The Tree Dragons.
- Does Herald of Ash still burn while causing a shock ?
Last edited by Basically_Aldin on Oct 1, 2014, 1:32:16 PM
Why should i use trap with puncture? Isn't it easier to just shoot an arrow with puncture?
"
perafelix wrote:
Why should i use trap with puncture? Isn't it easier to just shoot an arrow with puncture?

quoted from OP:

"
The reason why we use the Trap gem instead of simply going self-shot Puncture is because Chin Sol requires our character to stand close to the enemy to take advantage of the "100% more bow damage" modifier.
In many cases, this is inconvenient and possibly dangerous.
Trap solves this nicely by letting our character throw a trap at far-range, and instantly Puncture the target at close-range, while still benefiting from the Chin Sol modifier "100% more bow damage".
On top of that, Trap gem offers a 34% more damage modifier, which is further amplified by Point Blank's 50% more damage modifier.
Any video available from Uber atziri?
IGN: MyOtherRangerDied // DontBeStupidAndDieAgain // GenericSporkerWitch
https://google.com
I've had a lot of success with this build, but since 6L chin sols are much more expensive (~35-40+ ex at the moment) than purchasing your own 6L harbinger and crafting it yourself (got a sub-73 blue one for 13ex), I've been utilizing two bows.

I have my chest piece (a 6L high evasion chest, tri resist with high life) with the puncture trap set-up, and two bows/two drillnecks (which, I know, can get expensive.) Both bows are equipped with ice-shot set-ups, the 6L one with the better quality gems. I shred through trash with the 6L bow since it has a much more reliable crit and higher physical damage, but then switch to the 5L chin sol for bosses. The puncture trap with the 6L up is often sufficient for map bosses, but for atziri, I switch to the chin sol to get the 100% damage benefit. The cheaper 5L chin sol ice shot set-up still permits me to take down most trash around bosses without being forced to switch.

So this is just advice for those who have that high-end harbinger bow, even if it's a 5L, to use that on trash, but then switch to the chin sol for the boss kills and enjoy the best of both worlds. It's led to an overall much faster clear time.

"
DRASTICK wrote:
Sorry about the uber Atziri video link before only being the first 2 bosses. My bad.

Here is the uber atziri fight only
http://youtu.be/W_LTh5SG-Ik

and if you missed it, the first 2 bosses.
http://youtu.be/q1FsozGTUwg

GJ! and congratz!

Can you paste your current skill tree?
ign: BoMann
Finally got a 6l, going to try uber tonight (scared)
Last edited by link1313 on Oct 2, 2014, 12:24:16 AM
"
IkaPic wrote:
"
IkaPic wrote:
"
kompaniet wrote:
Is vaal pact mandatory? Don't really like that keystone all that much. Is it really needed for normal mapping? Or is it for atziri?

am playing without vaal pact am level 86... no problem at all as long as u skip maps with reflect mod...

Gear

Thanks for the info. Don't think i will level up further than that or do reflect maps.
Thanks, r-r-t-son,
for a build that's lots of fun!

Fly like a butterfly and sting like a bee,
Monsters and demons all burn before me.
I zap 'em and I trap 'em,
and prolif spreads the pain,
mix in a high Q ash gem
and fractures fall like rain.

I kite and kite and run around
while big guys bleed and die
just watch out for the icy ground,
and temp chains make me cry.

But when I do not crit
I struggle quite a bit.
And when I then get hit
...sheeeee-it!

Seriously, this char is the most fun I've had in PoE since closed beta. And it's a build which requires me to play actively: Low mana and squishyness make sure I need to kite and position myself well so the monsters are placed in pierce-lines. When I do that, I usually clear rooms pretty fast. When I fail, I'm in real trouble. But then I've only achieved lvl 78 so far (playing solo, up to lvl 73 maps by now), so things will continue to improve for a while yet.
Only downside is the quiver: No way I'll ever be able to afford a drillneck. Oh well, this one is serving me all right:
May your maps be bountiful, exile

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info