1.3 ✮ The Crit DoT Chin Sol build ✮ Puncture Trap / Ice Shot (Build of the Week S3E3)

You don't need Drillneck but it's like icing on the cake.
I can't thank you enough for the build, especially given how 'cheap' it was. Working in it now as lvl 68 Ranger from a league respecced lvl 63 and while it was/is a struggle working through low life, attributes (str+int), mana and resists, I've got a pretty good setup now and at least in a two person party I'm taking care of 72 maps easily. Granted, I run with another Chin Sol char lol. Once links come up and gems get quality I expect to be sitting pretty until Drillneck.
Thanks for sharing, really enjoying your build !

just wanted to get the tower key...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqEh8ESKuXM
Last edited by khajiit on Sep 6, 2014, 4:52:40 PM
Last edited by DerKobold16 on Sep 6, 2014, 6:19:19 PM
I currently have 19.1% crit with ice shot and the same for puncture.... Not sure if it's actually worth it o.o
the 100% bow damage does not apply to the puncture trap because the trap isnt considered bow damage or an "attack"

herald of ash doesnt apply to the puncture shot either confirming its not even considered an "attack"

this bow is not needed in the build and a 10% or 9% crit bow is more logical

also nodes can be rearranged for better dps.

just a couple not much.

great guide either way
Trap is not bow damage, because trap doesn't deal any damage. When it's tirggered it shot puncture (actual arrow) and that's why this bow works.
"
t is important to note that when a trap/mine casts its payload, it is the trap/mine that casts the skill, not the player, but the skill will still get the benefits of any modifiers that would normally apply if it were the player casting the skill. This includes any modifiers from passive skills and equipment, buffs affecting the player, etc.

Herald of Ash won't work, because DoT doesn't have overkill. additional fire dmg will, though.
IGN: DeepStrike
"
Locien0 wrote:
Trap is not bow damage, because trap doesn't deal any damage. When it's tirggered it shot puncture (actual arrow) and that's why this bow works.
"
t is important to note that when a trap/mine casts its payload, it is the trap/mine that casts the skill, not the player, but the skill will still get the benefits of any modifiers that would normally apply if it were the player casting the skill. This includes any modifiers from passive skills and equipment, buffs affecting the player, etc.

Herald of Ash won't work, because DoT doesn't have overkill. additional fire dmg will, though.

if you insta gib with puncture which has initial damage herald of ash does not work

hmmm if thats the case and the 100% more actually does add on thats great.

id love to see a damage calculation and comparison between using a 500 dps bow with 9% crit vs using chinsol for the 100% more with point blank damage
Last edited by Bloomania on Sep 7, 2014, 3:28:00 AM
Normal: +8% resistances (Kraityn)

...FailFish
Noblesse oblige
"
"
Locien0 wrote:
"

if you insta gib with puncture which has initial damage herald of ash does not work

hmmm if thats the case and the 100% more actually does add on thats great.

id love to see a damage calculation and comparison between using a 500 dps bow with 9% crit vs using chinsol for the 100% more with point blank damage

IIRC Herald of Ash is a buff that affects your own attacks only. It does not affect traps, because the trap is making the attack, not you (same reasoning as why leech and reflect don't affect you with traps).

The chin sol MORE mod will work with a trap, because the trap is essentially firing the attack with the chin sol.

Also a 500pdps bow would easily be on par with Chin Sol even before the crit. Chin Sol is about 250pdps, but you sacrifice the 100% MORE multiplier to get double the base damage, making it effectively the same. A small bonus is: puncture from the trap can still pierce (50% chance from tree + drillneck), you are actually looking at consistent damage across anything it hits, rather than decreasing damage as it gets further away. This is only a benefit for fast moving bosses or multiple bosses.
Last edited by DySeaL on Sep 7, 2014, 5:00:30 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info